Problem using diskrestore.exe on Recovery Media

Author
usmcguy
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have customized the boot.wim file generated by the "Rescue Media Wizard". It has been modified so that an image is located on the same disk as the macrium reflect environment. And the diskrestore.exe has been scripted to restore an image.

However, the issue I am having is when the target disk has been previously loaded with linux. I tried to wipe the target disk with gParted and formatting it as NTFS, but still no luck. The diskrestore.exe appears to recover the image. It even gives a prompt that it restored successfully. However, if I open reflect.exe to browse the target disk, I see the image was not recovered. If the target disk previously had windows OS on it, the diskrestore.exe recovers fine. ALSO, if I do the restore with reflect.exe, it recovers the image properly.

The following is the scripted command for the restore:

diskrestore.exe path_to_image.mrimg -r -g --targetnum 0 --reboot --eject
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi 

Thanks for posting. DiskRestore doesn't require the target disk to be initialised disk or have a partition table, so this is very strange. Have you tried running DiskPart clean on the disk prior to restoring?

diskpart
sel dis x
clean
exit 

where x is the number of the target disk in diskpart. Note: This number is 1 less than the disk number shown in Reflect,

You can also script the disk clean prior to restoring. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

usmcguy
usmcguy
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Nick - 4 November 2016 4:42 PM
Hi 

Thanks for posting. DiskRestore doesn't require the target disk to be initialised disk or have a partition table, so this is very strange. Have you tried running DiskPart clean on the disk prior to restoring?

diskpart
sel dis x
clean
exit 

where x is the number of the target disk in diskpart. Note: This number is 1 less than the disk number shown in Reflect,

This was attempted, however, it was not successful. Also attempted to use diskpart to create a dynamic and a basic disk. Both had the same result.  Result being, the restore appears to complete successfully. However, when rebooting the image does not appear to be recovered, and booting back into the restore environment shows no image restored to the disk.

Additional note, the target disk is MBR from the linux OS. The recovery image is GPT (uEFI). Is it possible that has some role? Note: after the recovery of the image the bios is changed over to support UEFI via Legacy BIOS.
Edited 4 November 2016 6:55 PM by usmcguy
usmcguy
usmcguy
Doing some additional testing....

I discovered using diskpart in my recovery environment to convert the disk to GPT, then running the restore with diskrestore.exe still fails. However, when I view the properties of the disk, it shows up as MBR. Even though the image is a GPT disk. I believe there is an issue with the diskrestore.exe binary.
Clinton Wright
Clinton Wright
Junior Member (88 reputation)Junior Member (88 reputation)Junior Member (88 reputation)Junior Member (88 reputation)Junior Member (88 reputation)Junior Member (88 reputation)Junior Member (88 reputation)Junior Member (88 reputation)Junior Member (88 reputation)

As suggested earlier use diskpart to clean your target disk. That will leave your disk RAW, restore your image and it should work correctly. Your over thinking this! Also insure you are booting the recovery media UEFI USB not just USB. you need to bring up a boot menu, my notebook Asus G75 I use the Esc. on my window 10 desktop I use the F8 key to bring up the boot menu on booting insure you select UEFI USB. The default media builder creates both BIOS and UEFI bootable, so you have to intentionally boot it UEFI

Edited 4 November 2016 11:17 PM by Clintgm
usmcguy
usmcguy
usmcguy - 4 November 2016 5:35 PM
Nick - 4 November 2016 4:42 PM
Hi 

diskpart
sel dis x
clean
exit 

This was attempted, however, it was not successful. Also attempted to use diskpart to create a dynamic and a basic disk. Both had the same result.  Result being, the restore appears to complete successfully. However, when rebooting the image does not appear to be recovered, and booting back into the restore environment shows no image restored to the disk.

Additional note, the target disk is MBR from the linux OS. The recovery image is GPT (uEFI). Is it possible that has some role? Note: after the recovery of the image the bios is changed over to support UEFI via Legacy BIOS.

Note my earlier reply that the diskpart clean disk was attempted (and completed). However, the result was the same. Only when the restore is ran with the reflect.exe, does the restore complete successfully,

Clintgm - 4 November 2016 11:07 PM

As suggested earlier use diskpart to clean your target disk. That will leave your disk RAW, restore your image and it should work correctly. Your over thinking this! Also insure you are booting the recovery media UEFI USB not just USB. you need to bring up a boot menu, my notebook Asus G75 I use the Esc. on my window 10 desktop I use the F8 key to bring up the boot menu on booting insure you select UEFI USB. The default media builder creates both BIOS and UEFI bootable, so you have to intentionally boot it UEFI

The system is being booted UEFI (via CD). I did select to boot from the UEFI bootable media. (Not my first rodeo).

I am not overthinking this, I am merely stating the product is failing me when using diskpart to restore. EVen manually selecting the image and the restore target disk with the diskrestore.exe tool, fails to properly restore on a linux disk.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)
Group: Administrators
@usmcguy

Can you open a support ticket so we can request further information?

http://www.macrium.com/support.aspx#tickets

Thanks

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...