Central Management Console - Wake Up Client Computers

Author
cwagz
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I am trying out the CMC and have setup managed schedules.  Will the CMC managed schedules wake up the client computers to perform the backups?

I do not see a task created by CMC on the client machines to do this.

Chad
GoNz0
GoNz0
New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)
Not found anything related to that Chad but it would be a nice feature to add to the list!
Stephen
Stephen
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hello, 

Thanks for posting.

This feature is coming in a future release of the CMC however, I do not yet have a scheduled release date.

Kind regards

Stephen - Macrium Support

cesthree
cesthree
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Any update on when this feature will be released?

Thanks!
cwagz
cwagz
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Any update on this?  This would make CMC very useful.

Regards,
Chad

Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)
Group: Moderators
cwagz - 27 October 2017 2:10 AM

Regards,
Chad

Hi Chad,

Just to let you know that this feature is still on our planned feature list - as there's quite a lot of interest in it, I've asked it be moved up the priority list a bit.
There's some investigation to be done on our part to ensure that we can appropriately set timeouts and limits so that in the case where a computer does not wake up after a wake on LAN packet has been sent, the Site Manager moves on to the next computer in the backup queue.

Regards,
Alex Stevenson,
Macrium Software
cwagz
cwagz
Alex - 31 October 2017 2:29 PM

Regards,
Chad

Hi Chad,

Just to let you know that this feature is still on our planned feature list - as there's quite a lot of interest in it, I've asked it be moved up the priority list a bit.
There's some investigation to be done on our part to ensure that we can appropriately set timeouts and limits so that in the case where a computer does not wake up after a wake on LAN packet has been sent, the Site Manager moves on to the next computer in the backup queue.

Regards,
Alex Stevenson,
Macrium Software

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the reply.  I was thinking less of a wake on LAN solution and more of having the CMC schedule a task on the machine so that it will wake up.  Very similar to how the local installation of Macrium wakes the computer for backup.  The difference being now you could push these schedules out from the CMC to all the connected machines.

I personally do not use wake on LAN in my house as it seems to lead to the machines randomly waking up or other strange problems.

Regards,
Chad​​​​​​​​
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)
cwagz - 3 November 2017 1:08 AM
Alex - 31 October 2017 2:29 PM

Regards,
Chad

Hi Chad,

Regards,
Alex Stevenson,
Macrium Software

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the reply.  I was thinking less of a wake on LAN solution and more of having the CMC schedule a task on the machine so that it will wake up.  Very similar to how the local installation of Macrium wakes the computer for backup.  The difference being now you could push these schedules out from the CMC to all the connected machines.

I personally do not use wake on LAN in my house as it seems to lead to the machines randomly waking up or other strange problems.

Regards,
Chad

Hi Chad,

Most of the scheduled backup code is run from the server rather than the client computer as when there are large numbers of clients, backups might happen some time after their triggered time due to being queued behind other backups. In this case a local schedule which woke the computer up might end up with the computer going to sleep again before the backup happens!

Still, I take your point that WoL is not always a reliable technology and for a small network, locally waking up computers might be easier. If you have a small enough number of computers, as a stopgap solution you could manually set up a scheduled task to wake the computer up a few minutes before the scheduled backup time.

I'll add this information to our development systems - it's always good to get some feedback on proposed new features.

Regards,
Alex Stevenson,
Macrium Software 
Ironfinder
Ironfinder
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
7 months ago, I have asked for this feature too. It would make the Site Manager a better product by allowing it to WOL any workstation that is powered off or sleeping. THEN put the workstation back to sleep after the backup is complete. It is a waste of resources to leave machines running when they are only used during working hours - 40 hours out of 168 each week.

As a work around, I had to use a PowerShell script and use the Server Task Scheduler to run 3 minutes before scheduled backup to wake the targeted machines. This coordination between the Task Scheduler and Macrium's schedule is a REAL hassle especially if new machines are brought in and have to be worked into the nightly backup window.
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Ironfinder - 16 January 2018 7:16 PM
7 months ago, I have asked for this feature too. It would make the Site Manager a better product by allowing it to WOL any workstation that is powered off or sleeping. THEN put the workstation back to sleep after the backup is complete. It is a waste of resources to leave machines running when they are only used during working hours - 40 hours out of 168 each week.

As a work around, I had to use a PowerShell script and use the Server Task Scheduler to run 3 minutes before scheduled backup to wake the targeted machines. This coordination between the Task Scheduler and Macrium's schedule is a REAL hassle especially if new machines are brought in and have to be worked into the nightly backup window.

Hi,

We definitely haven't forgotten WoL as a feature - as I noted a few months ago, there's some testing and thought to make sure it works smoothly in different contexts, but it's on our feature list to implement. As I'm sure you can appreciate, it's not always possible to give a definite time frame for features to be implemented, but I will make sure that this is followed up with the development team.

Regards,
Alex Stevenson
Macrium Software
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...