Create new full backup after every X number of differential backup?

Author
BobD
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Let's say I have a job that does a differential file and folder backup once per week.  The first time it runs, it creates a full backup and from then on, each week a differential backup is done.  Is there any way to configure the job so that after say 3 differential backups, a new full backup is automatically created?

Thanks!

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)
Why can't you set up Monthly FULLs and weekly DIFFERENTIALs.  If you set up your retention for a minimum of (2) FULLs, after you create your 3rd Full, your 1st FULL and all its child DIFFERENTIALs will be deleted, leaving you with only your 2nd FULL, it's 3 (or 4) DIFFERENTIALS and you're 3rd FULL.

Ater your next FULL, the same thing will happen with your earliest FULL and its DIFFERENTIALs.
Edited 6 October 2016 8:46 PM by Froggie
BobD
BobD
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Thanks...I will give this method a try but I was hoping for an easier way with less "moving parts", similar to what I used to do in Acronis True Image where there is a "create new full after x differentials" option.

Hendrick99
Hendrick99
Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)
Froggie,

It's my experience that backup sets do not always stay intact. In my case this happened when the full backup was set on the first of every month, while the number of incrementals was set on 14.
When the second backup set was generating its incrementals, I noticed that incrementals from the first backup set were deleted every day. After some time only the full backup stayed untouched,
which was now useless to me because all of his child incrementals were gone.
In order to let this work, I think you have to set the number of incrementals or differentials rather high.

Hendrick
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)
It's really not clear what, exactly what the OP trying to do.  The disappearing INCs you experienced was normal 'cause you said retain 14... at >14 they started to disappear.

I don't know what you need to have at any given time, but if you set Retention =2 for your FULLs and unCheck retention for DIFFs and INCs,, then all INCs and DIFFs will remain until the parent FULL has been retired (after your 3rd FULL).  That sounds like what you want... there will always be children as long as the Parent has not been deleted.
Edited 6 October 2016 10:57 PM by Froggie
BobD
BobD
What I was asking is if this scenario could be accomplished in a "DIFF" job where two differentials are retained with the option to create a FULL backup on the third run:

1. On day 1, the DIFF job runs for the first time and it creates a FULL backup (since it's the first time run)..we'll call this backup FULL1 for the sake of this thread.
2. On day 8, the DIFF job runs and creates a DIFF backup (DIFF1) and FULL1 is retained
3. On day 15, the DIFF job runs and creates a DIFF backup (DIFF2) and FULL1 and DIFF1 are retained
4. On day 22, the DIFF job runs and a FULL backup is created and FULL1 and DIFF1 and DIFF2 are all deleted since there is now a FULL backup (FULL2) 
5. On day 29, the DIFF job runs and creates a DIFF backup (DIFF3) and FULL2 is retained
    and so on

Edited 6 October 2016 11:15 PM by BobD
Froggie
Froggie
Master
I'm not sure about your insistence on only a DIFF job.  You can easily accomplish what you describe above with the following (2) scheduled items beginning on the same date... make them part of the same backup DEFINITION.

Full every 3-weeks on <day of the week> at <time of your choice.  (Set retention to 1)
Diff every week on <same day/time as Full>  (No retention needed)

Start them both on the same day.  When there's a collision, Reflect will only run the most relevant backup (the FULL in the case of the above schedule).  That should accomplish exactly what you would like to happen.

When the 2nd FULL is taken, successfully, the 1st FULL and all its DIFF children will disappear... this will only happen in the mentioned sequence if the "Run the purge before backup" option is unCHECKed on the schedule page of the definition.  I think that's what you said you wanted above...

If you want a greater # of DIFFs between FULLs, just change the "Every # of weeks" item in the FULL schedule.
Edited 6 October 2016 11:51 PM by Froggie
BobD
BobD
Thanks, I will give this a try.  I said a DIFF job because that is what I set up in True Image before I switched to Reflect.  If your suggestion works, I am fine with it.  Thanks again.

Edited 6 October 2016 11:50 PM by BobD
Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (623 reputation)Expert (623 reputation)Expert (623 reputation)Expert (623 reputation)Expert (623 reputation)Expert (623 reputation)Expert (623 reputation)Expert (623 reputation)Expert (623 reputation)
Bobd,

The suggestions offered by Froggie are good ones. 

Note also that you should avoid specifying the number of incremental backups to retain unless you are also using the incremental forever option.  Otherwise, as you noted, you will start to lose incrementals and the entire backups set (except the full backup) will be invalid.  Because a differential is independent of all other differentials, they CAN be deleted independently.

Also in your main plan, above, The first full would be created because you ran a differential without an existing full backup.  However, there would NOT be a full backup in step 4. because there is already a full existing (unless you were to move or delete the existing full backup).

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
Drac144 - 7 October 2016 9:26 PM
Note also that you should avoid specifying the number of incremental backups to retain unless you are also using the incremental forever option.  Otherwise, as you noted, you will start to lose incrementals and the entire backups set (except the full backup) will be invalid.  Because a differential is independent of all other differentials, they CAN be deleted independently.

I discovered this thread randomly, and even though it's old, I wanted to clarify this for the benefit of anyone else who may come across it:

- Setting a retention policy based on time rather than backups has its own risks.  For example, if your PC was off for a while, then the next time the backup job ran, you could end up losing a lot more history than you normally would, without having a corresponding amount of "new" history because your PC had been down.  For example, let's say you normally back up every day and have your retention policy set for 1 week.  If your PC was off for a week AND you have the "Run purge before backup" option enabled, then the next time Reflect ran, it would delete ALL of your backups in one fell swoop, before even creating a new backup successfully, which obviously creates a window of risk (what if your PC dies before the new backup completes?)  That risk of all backups being deleted because they're all "too old" does not exist when the retention policy is based on number of backups.

- To the point about Incremental retention policy in general, Reflect is smarter than Drac144 gives it credit for.  It will never just delete an Incremental and therefore invalidate every subsequent Incremental in that chain.  It will always perform a merge operation instead.  If the set contains only a Full and child Incrementals AND Synthetic Fulls are enabled (which is the typical Incrementals Forever strategy that Drac144 mentions), Reflect will merge the oldest Incremental into the root Full, thereby "carrying the Full forward" in time. It will then delete the oldest Incremental, which will be possible because the merge will have preserved the chain.  If Synthetic Fulls are disabled and/or the set contains any Differential backups, Reflect will instead merge the second oldest Incremental into the oldest Incremental, which also allows an Incremental to be deleted to remain compliant with the retention policy while preserving the integrity of the Incremental chain.

Edited 4 September 2017 11:27 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...