manually administering Reflect schedule on laptop

Author
sstavo
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I want to use Reflect on a laptop that stores backups on a USB hard drive that is only briefly connected to the laptop to perform backups. I don't want to set an automatic schedule and I'm not sure how to adjust the automatic retention policy. I will create a full backup every three weeks with incrementals in between. I run the backups manually from a backup definition shortcut saved to the desktop that asks me what kind of backup to perform (full or incremental). Since I may not create an incremental every day between full backups, I'm not sure how to set the number of incrementals to save in the retention policy. My question is, since I'm managing the backup runs manually, can I just uncheck all the boxes in the Define Retention Rules section and do my own manual "retention policy" by deleting a full and all of its associated incremental backups when I'm ready to free up space? Do I have to do something in the Reflect interface to tell it that I've deleted some backups or will it know that I've done it? Thanks.
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
All you actually need is a backup task definition that you can run manually to create whatever type of backup (full, differential, or incremental) you want whenever you want it.  Everything else (plan templates, retention rules and job scheduling) is optional entirely at your own discretion.

As you say, it's handy to have desktop shortcuts for manually triggering the task to run each of the backup types you want.  And yes, you certainly can uncheck all backup plan retention rules and do your own manual "housekeeping" instead.  It's best to use the Reflect user interface for deleting any old backup files that are no longer wanted, keeping in mind that incremental backups form a "chain" so that removing any one incremental "link" invalidates all subsequent incrementals up until the next full (or differential) backup in the set.

In case you may also be interested in manually consolidating backup sets, there's a standalone tool available for that as well.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 28 September 2016 11:02 PM by Arvy
sstavo
sstavo
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Answers my questions. Thanks, Arvy!
Jed
Jed
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Re: "It's best to use the Reflect v6 user interface for deleting any old backup files that are no longer wanted"
Can you please expand in a series of how-to steps how to safely delete all old backups no longer wanted on an external USB drive that is now full of backups due to using default retention rules settings - or can I just delete all the v6 backups files/folders on the external drive in Windows Explorer as per Nick's advice in https://forum.macrium.com/Topic13238.aspx ?
Thanks.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
If you truly are comfortable deleting ALL of your backups, then yes you can safely do so within Windows the same way you'd delete any other files.  The reason for the advice about using Reflect is that it prevents you from (for example) deleting a single Incremental backup file in the middle of a set, or deleting a Full backup from which Differentials and/or Incrementals had been created. Windows Explorer would of course have no problem deleting such files, but such deletions would immediately invalidate subsequent backups in the set.  If you tried to delete such files within Reflect, it would immediately select the subsequent backups in the set for deletion to show you the impact of your initial selection and of course to avoid keeping useless data on your hard drive just taking up space.  However, I always caution against deleting all backups because unless you have other backups stored elsewhere, technically there's a risk window between the time you delete those backups and the time you successfully capture a new one.  If your hard drive got fried in that window, you'd be left with no primary copy of your data and no backups, at least no backups that would be easily and reliably retrievable.

If you want to delete backups within Reflect, go to the Restore tab, then select the Image or File and Folder Backups tab as appropriate, and your backups should be listed.  If they're not, click "Folders to Search" and add the location of your backups.  Then you'll find the Delete File option under the Other Actions button, which will bring up a window that allows you to select additional backups to delete them in one fell swoop.

Edited 13 July 2017 2:19 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...