Disaster Recovery after Viral Infection

Author
mjaestewart
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Ok, so I've been using the paid version of Macrium Reflect for the past 5 years and upgraded every time there was a new product release. Right now I'm using Windows 10 Pro with the integrated WinPE integration for adding Macrium to the Boot Menu for recovering data or committing to a full system state recovery based on the the backup sets. Anyway, I will provide you my current setup, the issues I've encountered, and how Macrium Reflect saved me from hours of rebuilding, updating, and setting up my machine.

My Current Macrium Setup:
==============================
Right now, I am backing up 5 volumes with a total of ~12TB of data along with backing up my System Volume that hosts my OS (C:\ Volume). Because I am working with a large number of files, and such a huge amount of data (~12TB), I've really taken advantage of Macrium's Synthetic Full backups. Basically, I do 1 full backup across all of my volumes, then do incremental backups for life. Because I have a lot of data that does not change, synthetic backups make sense since every backup after the first Full backup is only going to backup the changed files. I use the WinPE integration, so I do not need a recovery media disc, and have to worry about getting the proper drivers to add to the disc. Honestly, if you have the proper knowledge, and have the paid version, then I would suggest using the WinPE integration. It works flawlessly!!! I stagger my backups every night starting at 6:00pm EST, with my final backup kicking off at 1am EST across all volumes. 

The Viral ISSUE:
=============================
My machine has experienced receiving a virus in which my AV did not detect. The machine became very unstable. I spent a few hours cleaning out the virus, but there were still some damage done to some of the binaries on the system in which Windows Explorer was always failing to respond and the machine resources becoming unstable. After hours of cleaning, correcting, and getting rid of the virus I was still affected with an unstable system. Therefore, I decided to throw in the flag and was about to rebuild my machine. But then, I thought, why not use Macrium Reflect to recover my system back to my 6PM backup since the virus was non-existent at that time frame. I received the virus at 8PM, my backup completed at 6:10PM, and I decided to recover my system at 11pm. Well, it was time to put Macrium Reflect to the REAL test since I have not had to recover my system since I've been with Macrium Reflect.

The Recovery Process 
=================================
I reboot my system, selected the Macrium Boot Option through the WinPE Integration, booted into the Macrium Interface, selected the backupset from earlier in the day, entered my password to decrypt my backup image, and started the recovery process (while biting my nails vigorously). Well, the recovery was ONLY 10 minutes for a FULL system restore. And guess what???? MY SYSTEM IS BACK TO THAT POINT IN TIME! No issues, no instability, and no system crashes. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!!! I am still running perfectly fine, 5 days later, without ANY issues. I should have done this in the first place, rather than taking hours to clean the virus out. All I have to say about the product is that it JUST WORKS!

I cannot THANK Macrium Reflect enough for such awesome recovery software. This just works FLAWLESSLY! I will forever be a customer as long as the Macrium software exists. I am a loyal customer for life. This software, for the pricing, exceeds my expectations. THANK YOU AGAIN MACRIUM REFLECT!!!
Froggie
Froggie
Guru
Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)
mjaestewart - 9 September 2016 9:06 PM
I use the WinPE integration, so I do not need a recovery media disc, and have to worry about getting the proper drivers to add to the disc. Honestly, if you have the proper knowledge, and have the paid version, then I would suggest using the WinPE integration.

mjaestewart, I'm glad you were ale to deal with that virus with your backups, that's what Macrium Reflect is for... but PLEASE, rethink your Recovery Media needs in light of a complete disk failure which may have created your problem rather than just a virus.  That WinPE integration is on that disk which was infected... what if the disk failed.

You really do need to have a Recovery Media, although you only need to use it when the failure mode calls for it.
Edited 10 September 2016 12:55 PM by Froggie
Hendrick99
Hendrick99
Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)
Froggie makes an important point. Moreover, another advantage of a stand-alone restore is the fact
that there is no OS up and running. So,you wont get bothered with all sorts of messages about files
being locked etc.
I've used this procedure already a couple of times and it works great.

Hendrick.
Froggie
Froggie
Guru
Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)
You can actually do somewhat "automatic" restores via the Reflect GUI without the Local BOOT Option being installed.  The process will flow correctly but the "Automatic" function won't be available.  That means if you reBOOT your system with the Recovery Media loaded, it will load and go through the balance of the AUTOMATIC restore for you... the one you set up prior to the System restart.

I BETA tested using that facility long before I added my first BOOT Menu option.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...