Backup to network share fails with power saving enabled

Author
Henrik
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10, and it seems that backup fails with error "Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - Nätverksökvägen kan inte hittas" (network path cannot be found), unless I set the energy option to put the computer to sleep after a really long time like two hours. I would expect Reflect to temporarily inactivate standby and hibernate during backups and restores.
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Not sure what you would expect write permissions on a network share to do about the target node's energy management settings if the remote machine isn't making appropriate allowance for those operations on its own. 

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Henrik
Henrik
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
I am of course not talking about the target node. I'm talking about the source node (on which the backup runs).
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Sorry if I misunderstood, Henrik, but the only clue to which computer's energy management was involved was the "Write operation failed" message.  I suppose Reflect could and should signal activity to prevent local machine standby.  I'm surprised if it's letting the local drives go to sleep while active.  A write failure seems more like the remote target machine and/or its share connection.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 5 August 2016 8:32 AM by Arvy
Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (702 reputation)Expert (702 reputation)Expert (702 reputation)Expert (702 reputation)Expert (702 reputation)Expert (702 reputation)Expert (702 reputation)Expert (702 reputation)Expert (702 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I have a HP Stream 8 tablet and I have to set the power to high-power or adjust the timeouts to Never or it will quit when making an image.
Henrik
Henrik
Arvy - 5 August 2016 8:25 AM
Sorry if I misunderstood, Henrik, but the only clue to which computer's energy management was involved was the "Write operation failed" message.  I suppose Reflect could and should signal activity to prevent local machine standby.  I'm surprised if it's letting the local drives go to sleep while active.  A write failure seems more like the remote target machine and/or its share connection.

Yes, misunderstandings happen easily. It is not the local drive that goes to sleep - the backup destination is on a remote server - it is the client computer itself (or the maybe the network adapter). I don't think it is the target machine or its connection that is the problem. As I said, if set the energy option to put the computer to sleep after a really long time, the backup works, but if I leave it at it's default (15 or 30 minutes - I don't remember exactly), it fails.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...