Cannot backup to network share

Author
david
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a backup definition file that points to a network share.
Backups fail with the error "Invalid (not writable)". This happens on both scheduled and manually run backups. If it matters, the scheduler runs under the same user account as the GUI, which is an admin account.
I've added login credentials under Network Logon Credentials for Server Shares (NLCSS)
The user account that I'm running Reflect under also has logon credentials stored under Windows Credentials.
I've tried connecting to both \\MACHINE\volume and using the IP (\\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\volume)
The volume is definitely writable, it is a machine that I have full access to.
Please advise additional options, thanks.

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Hi David.  Have you checked the Reflect default settings under the Network tab (see this KB article) for consistency with your backup task and NLCSS entries?

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 17 July 2016 7:19 PM by Arvy
david
david
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
As I noted, I have indeed added login credentials under Network Logon Credentials for Server Shares (NLCSS). These are the same credentials I use to access the share manually. I've also tried both with and without a username/password under the "Default" entry.

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Just to be completely clear, are you saying that you can manually access the \\Server\Share as specified in Reflect's network settings using exactly the same Network\User and Password credentials also as specified in those Reflect settings and then have full write permissions on that network share?  I don't mean to belabor the issue, but mismatched security tab permissions and share tab permissions have been known to happen and Reflect's "not writable" error does seem to point in that general direction.

Edited 17 July 2016 9:55 PM by Arvy
david
david
Yes, that's what I'm saying:
I can manually access \\SERVER\share through Windows Explorer using credentials the_username/the_password, and this gives me read/write access.
I have added an entry for \\SERVER\share under Macrium Reflect's Network Logon Credentials setting, using the_username/the_password
When the backup runs, either through the scheduler or starting it manually, I get the "Invalid (not writable)" error.
I appreciate the help, happy to provide any further info that may be useful.

Edit - I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "security tab" and "share tab" however. As far as I know the NLCSS is the only place in Reflect where this information needs to be entered.

Edited 17 July 2016 10:15 PM by david
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi David

Thanks for posting. 

Your network share is denying write access to elevated processes (processes elevated using Windows UAC). If you start a command prompt with elevated privileges  and then run Windows Explorer by typing 'explorer.exe' you may have the same problem writing to the share.  

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Running+an+elevated+command+prompt

What is the network location and how have you set the network authentication?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

david
david
Thanks for replying but I'm confused - I thought that was exactly the reason for the NLCSS list, so that the scheduled process could have login credentials?
I'm accessing the share directly through the UNC. It is not mounted as a mapped network drive. I do see on a search that there are some Windows issues with elevated processes and credentials for mapped network drives, however I'm not sure if that applies.
What other information can I provide?

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi David

Thanks for getting back. 

The message "Invalid (not writable)" is caused by the fact that Macrium Reflect does not have permissions to Write to your network location. It is your share that's rejecting the write operation. 

If you start a command prompt with elevated privileges  and then run Windows Explorer by typing 'explorer.exe' you may have the same problem writing to the share.  Can you please confirm this? 

What is the network location, is it another Windows PC or a NAS, and how have you set the network permissions on the share?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 18 July 2016 1:39 PM by Nick
Richard V.
Richard V.
=david -- Edit - I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "security tab" and "share tab" however. As far as I know the NLCSS is the only place in Reflect where this information needs to be entered.

Sorry if that wasn't clear, David.  I was referring to the security and sharing permissions set for the share itself, not Reflect's settings.  The settings under both of the share's properties tabs should be checked for consistency.  (Screenshots below are examples only.)   But please follow up with answers to Nick's questions directly.  He will have dealt with more of these situations than I have as they relate to Reflect specifically.

http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/ed7dbb6a-bb32-44bb-ab46-041b.png

http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/e785e609-8ba4-4e2d-bbbf-d025.png

Edited 18 July 2016 3:35 PM by Arvy
david
david
Nick - 18 July 2016 1:38 PM
Hi David

Thanks for getting back. 

The message "Invalid (not writable)" is caused by the fact that Macrium Reflect does not have permissions to Write to your network location. It is your share that's rejecting the write operation. 

If you start a command prompt with elevated privileges  and then run Windows Explorer by typing 'explorer.exe' you may have the same problem writing to the share.  Can you please confirm this? 

What is the network location, is it another Windows PC or a NAS, and how have you set the network permissions on the share?

Starting an elevated command prompt and running Explorer does NOT have the same issue - I still have write access to the share.
The share is a drive on a Mac OS X system. It is not accessed through a mapped drive but through the UNC address. The network permissions on the share are normally set to provide write access for the user account I'm connecting with. As a test I set the share to have write access for all users and got the same error.
Also to note that using this share did work under Reflect 5. Only since upgrading to 6 have I had an issue.
Please advise next steps, thanks.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...