Disk Geometry

Author
Speedbump
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello Folks,
I have been creating images and restoring to them with MR6 for quite some time without any problems. However, when I attempted to restore an image recently, I got the following message:

Warning: The source disk geometry is different to the target disk.
0 Use the source disk geometry
0 Use the destination disk geometry

Does anyone know what could cause such a thing?

Thanks
Speedbump

Froggie
Froggie
Guru
Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)
Clearly your TARGET disk has changed its size for one reason or another.  Certain major Windows updates have been known to do this but it is an unusual event all by itself.

If you really need the image, use the "Use the destination disk geometry" option for restoration... but pls make sure you're pointing to the proper TARGET disk, you don't wanna wreck a different disk with the wrong data being restored.

I can't offer much else to consider as far as how this happened...
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Depending on your drive's MBR or GPT setup, some malware (e.g. a boot virus) could have results that may be reported as a change to disk geometry.  Whether or not that's the actual explanation in your case, it would be worth checking to eliminate that possible concern if you haven't already.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 18 April 2016 5:47 PM by Arvy
Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I had this on a machine and at the time I was putting an image from a SSD onto a HD since I wanted to use the SSD elsewhere. Both the SSD and the HD were MBR. I think the message I received had a "recommended" beside the "use the source" and that's what I did. Anyway, it worked.

However, I'm not 100% certain this is the only time I got this message on this PC; I may have had it once before and if so, I can't recall the circumstances. 
Speedbump
Speedbump
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Thanks, everyone.
I was storing an image of my C partition on an external drive, E, so I just restored the image from the E drive and everything has worked out OK.
Special greeting to Froggie!
Speedbump
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...