MS-DOS batch file invocation - command line switches and scheduling

Author
Bill R
New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Please forgive this new user, but I can't get my mind straight about how reflect.exe handles grandfather scheduling when invoked from a .bat file.  I'm trying to set up a .bat file which will, on completion of a daily incremental backup, temporarily connect to a network server and robocopy the new backup file(s) across to the server.  Eventually, I'm thinking also of arranging for the less frequent differential and full backups to do likewise but only when explicitly triggered (I anticipate the larger network transfer for these to take hour(s) and I only want them to run when it suits me).

From what I've can see so far, some aspects of the scheduling of a normal .xml definition appear to be integrated into the .xml definition, although the Windows Task Scheduler lists separate tasks for each of full, diff, and inc.  So am I right in thinking that, provided the backups are otherwise "similar", reflect.exe somehow gets to "see" all of the scheduled  tasks before they are run to work out which one to actually perform?

Given that, I note that the reflect.exe has command line switches -full, -diff, and -inc, and the command help is pretty explicit in stating that if none of those switches is specified, then a full backup is performed ... "by default".   Sorry to be pedantic, but what does "by default" actually mean?  Does it actually perform the backup implied by the definition backup plan info in the .xml file?

And if I create a .bat file, right click it in Reflect and attempt to schedule it, am I scheduling the .bat file, inserting some backup plan info into the associated .xml file, or both?

Or ... and I suspect this may be the case ... is it just that the Definition Backup Plan info in a .xml file doesn't apply / is ignored when reflect.exe is run from a .bat, .vbs, or .ps1 file?

Bill R

Edited 18 January 2016 12:35 AM by Bill R
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
AFAIK Bill, Reflect does load and run its own service (file = ReflectService.exe, described in the registry as Macrium Reflect Scheduling Services) as an intermediary for handling Windows Task Scheduler operations when running under the regular Windows working environment (not WinPE).  My understanding is that any scheduled operations with simultaneous triggers are handled sequentially, but I'm really not sure why that would be an issue for you with each type of backup (full, differential and incremental) having its own task definition and set-up entry in the scheduler.  If you're experiencing actual problems and need more in-depth technical assistance, you might want to open a direct support request ticket with Macrium.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 18 January 2016 4:01 AM by Arvy
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search