Scheduling stopped working

Author
jewelr
New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
For some reason my backup will no longer run on the schedule. About a 2 weeks ago it just stopped. I don't have any errors, it just doesn't run at the scheduled time. I can manually backup with no issues. Any ideas?
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
Delete any schedule in the Scheduled Backups sub-tab then edit the Backup Definition File related to the backup you're referring to.  On the "Edit the Plan for this Backup" page create a new schedule afresh and see if that fixes your problem.  It may be worth checking in Windows Task Scheduler (WTS) to make sure Reflect removes the scheduled task before you create the new one afresh.

If nothing was upgraded (OS, Reflect v5.x to v6.x) and no changes were made to the schedule or XML file in Reflect I'm not sure what could have caused the schedule to stop running like that.  The only time that's ever happened to me is when I changed the Reflect scheduled task directly in WTS and made a change in the "Configure for" option from the default to a newer version of Windows.  (Reflect isn't compatible with newer OS task types in WTS.)
Edited 29 December 2015 9:41 AM by Gork
jewelr
jewelr
New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)
Yes i already tried deleting the whole backup and looked in WTS and they were removed.

W!0 did update but i'm not sure if the update was when the schedules stopped. I did uninstall and reinstall Reflect as well.
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
If it was just a Win10 build upgrade that most certainly wouldn't have caused this kind of a problem.  So did you rebuild the schedule by editing the XML file?  You could ensure the schedule took by checking in the Schedule tab of Reflect and also by making sure the schedule is created again in WTS.
jewelr
jewelr
Yes it was just a build update to 11082. No i didn't edit the XML file. I actually didn't do anything with Macrium and was so busy with Christmas that I didn't even notice the backups weren't running until a couple days ago. The last backup was on the 17th or 18th.
I've deleted and re-created the schedules a bunch of times. Each time they are removed from WTS and added again so nothing looks out of the ordinary.
I did notice if I go into task scheduler and configure a task for "windows 10" instead of what is selected "Windows server2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000", the scheduled task will run. However,the schedule is removed from the scheduled backup tab in Macrium and no log is created. It does still run on the schedule though.

Gork
Gork
Guru
Yeah, can't change the default selected option in the WTS task - we KNOW that doesn't work right.  But if changing it makes it so the task in WTS actually runs when it wouldn't before it makes me wonder if there's a problem with WTS itself...  Is your computer running at the time the scheduled task should run?  (Some systems have problems waking up to run a task.)  Does the "last result" in WTS for the Reflect task show "the operation completed successfully" after a scheduled task should have run?  Are there any errors shown in the Windows logs at the time the backup should have started?  (I know you've said that there are at least no errors in the Reflect logs.)  Did you thoroughly check the schedule to ensure dates/times are accurate?  (Though changing the WTS task to Win10 and it working should indicate that's not the problem.)  Is the WTS task being run under an admin account with the proper username and password?  Another thing I might try for testing purposes is to manually create a task in WTS to schedule a Reflect backup:

GENERAL TAB
"When running ... use the following user account:" - make sure an admin account and the proper password is entered.
Choose "run whether user is logged on or not"
Choose "run with the highest privileges"
Configure for - Server 2003, XP or Win 2000

TRIGGERS TAB
For testing, just enter a new trigger for the current day 5 minutes from now and leave the computer running

ACTIONS TAB
Action - Start a program
Program/script - E:\the-location\Of-Your\xml-file.xml (replace the path and file name of course)
Add arguments - mine are "-s -inc" -- It'd probably be best to put in the same thing as in your WTS task created by Reflect

CONDITIONS TAB
Wake the computer to run this task

SETTINGS TAB
Allow task to be run on demand - this is checked by grayed out
Stop the task if it runs longer than - 3 days
If the running task does not end ... force it to stop - grayed out but check marked

Another idea for troubleshooting might be to enable history in WTS for the task that is not running so you can see if it's logging anything during the times it's supposed to run.

jewelr
jewelr
Yes, my computer is on 24x7 no sleep.
No, the last result in WTS does not show "the operation completed successfully". It says "the task has not yet run".
I haven't checked the windows logs but i will.
The scheduled dates and times are all correct between WTS and Macrium.
Yes, WTS task is being run under an admin account with the proper username and password.
I will try to manually create a task in WTS to schedule a Reflect backup and let you know what happens.

Thanks for the help Gork!
Gork
Gork
Guru
You're welcome.  It doesn't feel like we're getting very close to a solution but we sure are ruling out a bunch of things!  If the WTS task indicates "the task has not yet run" it seems to me to point to a problem outside of Macrium - with WTS or the OS then.  I'm very curious to hear how manually creating the task in WTS works.  If it doesn't, I'd probably try just creating some generic task in WTS to see if that runs.  Are other tasks running?   (Showing proper results?)  Probably a silly question, but in the Triggers tab of the task in WTS is the trigger in question set to status=Enabled?
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi @jewelr

Thanks for posting. 

Yes it was just a build update to 11082...

Windows 10 'Redstone'  Build 11082 is an unstable Insider Preview. Insider builds are for beta testing, bug finding, and not for daily use. There appears to be a problem with the Windows Task Scheduler in this build that I'm sure will be resolved by Microsoft before public release. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Edited 31 December 2015 1:15 AM by Nick
jewelr
jewelr
Nick - 31 December 2015 1:05 AM
Hi @jewelr

Thanks for posting. 

Yes it was just a build update to 11082...

Windows 10 'Redstone'  Build 11082 is an unstable Insider Preview. Insider builds are for beta testing, bug finding, and not for daily use. There appears to be a problem with the Windows Task Scheduler in this build that I'm sure will be resolved by Microsoft before public release. 

Yes i understand that. I wasn't aware of the Task Scheduler issue. I will roll back this build or wait for the next build.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search