System notification sounds

Author
maranjo
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
How can I disable the notification sounds on Windows 10? With a number of jobs kicking off in rapid sequence, my PC goes crazy for a few minutes with one alert sound after another - starting, running and completed notifications.

It's driving me mad! Surely there is a way to disable the sound from within the Reflect application? If so, I can't find it anywhere!
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Windows 10 handles Reflect's notifications (popups, sounds, etc.) in the same way as it handles those for other applications.
1. Start the Win10 Settings feature and open its System settings panel (Display, notifications, apps, power).
2. Select the Notifications and actions item in the System settings panel.
3. Under Show notifications for these apps, select Macrium Reflect Disk Imaging and Backup (On: <enabled options> ).
4. Turn off the option to Play a sound when a notification arrives as shown in the screenshot below.

http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/87e56c8f-2907-4f78-b460-6c73.png

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 24 December 2015 2:37 AM by Arvy
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
I'd like to add that this drives me nuts too.  While I have discovered @Arvy's solution, there does not appear to be a way to turn off sound notifications from Reflect while leaving sound notifications on for all other apps without also turning off Reflect's visual notifications as well.  I've also noticed that Reflect sets up two different listings in the Win10 notification list which seems a bit obnoxious.  It'd be nice if, as with some other apps, we could choose the Reflect notifications to be visual, sound or both/neither instead of just all notifications either on or off.

The volume of the notifications is another issue for me.  I have system sounds turned way down in the volume mixer but notification sounds still blow me out of the water.  This isn't an issue with just Reflect, however, and I've read that it is a Win10 bug.  (Win10 sure seems to have a lot of them!)

OPs can help other forum searchers by highlighting (✔) an answer that resolves the issue.

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
I've also noticed that Reflect sets up two different listings in the Win10 notification list which seems a bit obnoxious.

That doesn't seem right.  It might possibly be a reason for some of the other anomalies that you've noted.  My Win10 listing under "Show notifications for these apps" includes just a single item for "Macrium Reflect Disk Imaging and Backup" and it allows me to set its "Play a sound when a notification arrives" option independently of any others.  The screenshot below shows it set for notification "Banners" only (sound option disabled) while other apps have both options enabled and some apps have their notifications turned off entirely.  Do your Win10 system settings not work in that same way?  Was yours a fresh install or an "in-place" upgrade?  As you say, Win10 does seem somewhat quirky at times in my own experience as well, but Microsoft likes us to call them "features" rather than "bugs". BigGrin

http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/1bb5165c-9168-4eb0-af33-7146.png

Edited 25 December 2015 4:03 AM by Arvy
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
Scratch install of Win10-64 after a format:

http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/2faac97e-627a-4bea-8815-7303.jpg

OPs can help other forum searchers by highlighting (✔) an answer that resolves the issue.

Richard V.
Richard V.
Hmmm.  Interesting.  Looks like there may be a duplicated entry in your Win10 registry, but I haven't yet had time to pin down the registry key locations for this and all of Microsoft's other wonderful new Win10 features and so can't tell you exactly where to look.  Another possibility arises from the fact that notifications are a part of Microsoft's "Windows everywhere" dream, or as they describe it, "a universal notifications hub that will pop up your app notifications across multiple platforms".  That suggests that it would be included in the registry hive for each individual user. So, it might possibly be a reflection of multiple instances if you have "multiple platforms" with the same account login, but that seems unlikely as none of the other items are showing up that way in that listing.

I guess I have to admit to being totally baffled by this one, except that Win10 does seem somewhat "buggy" at this stage as you have said yourself.  If you think it worth your time to pursue, I could only suggest uninstalling/reinstalling Reflect completely to see if that eliminates the duplicated notification listing and any related control issues for banners, sounds, etc.  Alternatively, you could try creating a new (temporary) user account on your machine to see what shows up there and whether its controls work as they should.

Edited 26 December 2015 1:10 PM by Arvy
wags1
wags1
Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)
As another data point for this issue, I have 3 entries for Macrium Reflect on that settings page. I only ever installed MR one time and it was a fresh install.
Richard V.
Richard V.
Thanks for that, wags1.  It's beginning to look more like this may be something uniquely specific to the Reflect application itself and I'm starting to wonder if Macrium might have changed the relevant HKCU key(s) between two or more update builds resulting in multiple registry entries for the same user.  If my recollection about their rescue build reminder key is correct, it wouldn't be the first time they've done something like that.  Against that theory, however, is the fact that my own list of w10 app notifications shows only a single Reflect entry and I've installed every Reflect 6 update since the initial release.  Some direct input on this puzzle from the Macrium gang would be useful, I think.

Edited 26 December 2015 4:27 PM by Arvy
Givmeabrek
Givmeabrek
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Newbie here.  Just to add to the data, I have four entries!  I figure that's four times better than one....
I originally had the Macrium free version, uninstalled and installed the Home version.  Ungraded once since.  Any idea how to clean this up?  I don't want it to multiply much more.  Sad
Richard V.
Richard V.
Such a range of individual variances just keeps on adding more and more strangeness to the puzzle.  It would be interesting to know what happens if the notification sound option is disabled for all four, or three, or two of them and then re-enabled one at a time ... if anyone has the time and the inclination to try such an experiment.

As for how to get rid of the multiple entries, I still haven't been able to pin down their exact location, but will update* if I do.  Hopefully Nick or one of the other Macrium reps will beat me to it.

__
* There is no such specifically named entry anywhere in the Windows registry (neither HKLM nor HKCU) that I've been able to find which leads me to suspect that Windows is picking up the Reflect notification parameters from one of its system services.  Perhaps from Reflect's EventMessageFile (C:\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\MessageSvr.dll) which is registered with a ProviderGUID under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application\Macrium Reflect.  That doesn't help us, however, in trying to figure out why some users would be seeing multiple listings, let alone how to correct the problem.

Edited 26 December 2015 7:34 PM by Arvy
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...