Retry on Error

Author
wags1
Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have looked thru the settings and I can't find where or if I can select that if an error occurs I would like the backup job to be retried after a certain amount of time. Is that option hidden somewhere and I just missed it? 
Stephen
Stephen
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Wags1,

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately there is not an option in Reflect to automatically retry a failed backup. Usually a backup failure does't resolve itself and would require some level of human interaction.  

I have given your feedback to the development team for evaluation.

Kind regards

Stephen - Macrium Support

wags1
wags1
Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)
Thank you for the reply. Here is the use case that I am thinking of. I backup to a NAS. I used to (currently do not) spin down the disks and put the NAS to sleep after a certain amount of inactivity. It would wake up and spin up the disks on LAN activity (Wake on LAN). So the scenario would be that Reflect would start up and attempt to access the NAS but it would not immediately be available. If you could select the appropriate delay before the retry it would give the NAS enough time to wake up and spin up the disks before it tried again. Perhaps Reflect has another way to accomplish this but that is the example I am thinking of. Hope that makes sense.
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)

You could create a VBScript from the Backup Definition File and add a line of code to wait x number of seconds or minutes before running the backup.

Or the Reflect task could be modified directly in Windows Task Scheduler, on the settings tab, to "If the task fails, restart every x minutes" and "Attempt to restart up to x times."  (Be aware that certain modifications to a scheduled backup directly in Windows Task Scheduler can break the "link" between the schedule in Reflect and the task in Windows Task Scheduler so that further changes to the schedule would need to be made directly in Windows Task Scheduler instead of in Reflect.)

The last possibility I can think of would be to create a script (a simple batch file for instance) to pause for x mins/seconds then set the Macrium Default under Scrips -> Run Programs to run that script "at the start."

OPs can help other forum searchers by highlighting (✔) an answer that resolves the issue.

wags1
wags1
Modifying the job in Windows Task Scheduler was one of the first things I looked at. The settings for "If the task fails, restart every x minutes" and "Attempt to restart up to x times."  are not select-able, and yes, I was running it as administrator.
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
Ahh, indeed.  I now see those properties are not available when using a task in Windows Task Scheduler which is set for "Configure for Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000."  And changing that setting breaks Reflect tasks.  (Perhaps it's time for Macrium to change their stance on not changing the types of tasks created in Windows Task Scheduler to a more updated version now that we've found a useful reason to do so!)  In retrospect I'm not completely convinced those options would fix the issue you describe, however.  Unless there is a process in place for Reflect to report back to Windows that the process started successfully, Windows Task Scheduler would present that the task completed properly when the .exe for Reflect successfully started.

My other two suggestions should work for the specific example you provided, however.  If you're not familiar with scripting this might seem like a big ordeal, but it's really a simple matter well worth a few Google searches.  For instance, you could create a batch file with Notepad containing a command which does something to wake up the network device (attempt to access it, WoL - anything) followed by the command:  TIMEOUT 10.  Make sure the file is created with or renamed with the suffix .bat and not .txt.  Have Reflect run this batch file before starting its backups.  That command causes the batch file to pause for 10 seconds or a key press.  (I have not tried this, so I'm operating under the assumption that Reflect doesn't just simply start the batch file then continue on, but actually waits for the batch command to terminate before continuing.)  There is a similar way to pause a VBScript as well.  Reflect could either be set to run a separate VBScript file before starting the backup or you could create a VBScript file from within Reflect based on the backup definition file, alter it a little to do what you want, then base your Reflect schedule on the VBScript file instead of directly on the backup definition file.  (Reflect handles all this from within its own GUI.)

Creating the VBScript file from within Reflect then manually adding a command to it to wake your NAS and a "sleep" command to pause for several seconds might be the best way to go because it would work FOR SURE.  There would be no need to assume that Reflect would wait for the successful outcome of an "outside" VBS or BAT file since the task in Reflect would be started directly from the VBScript file instead.

OPs can help other forum searchers by highlighting (✔) an answer that resolves the issue.

Edited 5 December 2015 4:19 AM by Gork
wags1
wags1
I think you are right about those settings in the task scheduler not working for this requirement even if they could be changed. Thanks for the scripting tips. At this point I'll just raise this with Macrium as a an enhancement request/suggestion.
sjmiller
sjmiller
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
I would like to vote for some sort of retry feature as well. My use case is slightly different, but similar in some ways. I backup one system that only takes a few minutes to complete. However, it will frequently, although not always, encounter an error condition and fail the backup. It fails with the error "Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - The system cannot find the file specified." This seems like an obvious error, but here's the twist. The backup target is an external USB attached hard drive, that does not get removed. If I launch the backup again after seeing the error, it will complete successfully, without rebooting or re-attaching the drive. In other words, I don't do anything except restart the backup and it works. I'm guessing the drive is probably sleeping, and takes time to wake up, but I am not certain. So, for me, some sort of option to retry one time on failure would be very helpful. If Reflect is not reporting an error code that can be acted on in Scheduler, then it also cannot be acted upon in a script. I'm tempted to run the backup twice in a row to work around this problem, but there should be a better way. 
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
If using a script, you could include some minor "wakeup" command for the USB-connected drive preceding the command for running the backup task itself.  Something like just testing for the drive's presence or an inconsequential file copy command might do it and, even if that initialisation command failed, it wouldn't really matter so long as it got the drive ready for the backup.  If you wanted to be really sure, I suppose you could also include some error handling routine to repeat X times until success or abandonment.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...