Full image on day 1 else incremental

Author
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

<snip>
' Do the backup
 If Day(Date) = 1 Then
  'Run the full image
  ExitCode = Backup ("""D:\System\Reflect\Reflect.exe"" -e -w -full ""E:\Program Data\Reflect\Xythos-Win8.xml""")
 Else
  'Run the incremental image
  ExitCode = Backup ("""D:\System\Reflect\Reflect.exe"" -e -w -inc ""E:\Program Data\Reflect\Xythos-Win8.xml""")
 End If
</snip>

This is a very simple way to modify a Reflect VBScript file which checks the current date to determine if it is the first day of the month or not.  If yes, a full image is taken.  Otherwise an incremental image is taken.

I created a scheduled backup within Reflect then edited it directly from within Windows Task Scheduler to run the VBScript file containing this code on days 1, 7, 15, 22 and 27 of each month.  On day 1 this script runs a full backup.  On days 7, 15, 22 and 27 this script runs an incremental backup.  I have the corresponding XML (backup definition) remove the oldest backup set (the full backup with all its corresponding incrementals) when a third full backup is created and properly verified.  This always leaves me with a minimum of one full backup chain from the prior month and a full backup for the current month.

OPs can help other forum searchers by highlighting (✔) an answer that resolves the issue.

Edited 2 February 2016 9:47 AM by Gork
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...