Windows 10 restoring bld 10240 over 1511 bld 10586 - extra recovery space

Windows 10 restoring bld 10240 over 1511 bld 10586 - extra recovery...
Author
maw62
Talented Member
Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When updating Windows 10 (bld 10240) with the 'Fall Update' (bld 10586), WIndows creates an new 'unallocated space' of about 450 MB.
Initially my SSD showed 1x unallocated space of 101MB and 1 C-partition
After updating to bld 10586 it shows 2 unallocated spaces (101 and 450MB) plus C.
Regretfully I was forced to restore the 10240 image (some program didn't work as it was supposed to do)

I just updated (again) from 10240 -> 10586.
Because of this (re)update, the C-drive (SSD) shows another space of 450MB
However, this time it does not show up as a 'grey' block but blue, same as the C-partition.
It does not have a drive-letter but contains 320MB (70% used)

Question: I suppose, when imaging the "C"-drive I should image that piece as well?

Below screenshot: left: Windows diskmgmt.msc, right: Reflect
Thanks
=

http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/f6140c7c-6ff1-44d6-a235-50e5.png

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Maw62... looking at your current configuration shows that BOOTing into Windows is done directly to your existing Windows partition (c: ).  What has happened is that your Windows upgrades have carved pieces out of your primary Windows partition for use as a MicroSloth SYSTEM RESERVED PARTITION.  The problem is that your system does not use a MSRP in any way to perform your BOOTing (most likely a Legacy-MBR system configuration) so the resultant space used by both of those attempts is just fluff... it's really not needed to protect your system when imaging.

I saw the same thing happen on my System this morning and I use a very simple Legacy-MBR system configuration (not 2-upgrades, though... only 1).  I have since eliminated that partition and extended my System partition into that space and all is well.

Be aware that some apps that are partition size dependent (Rollback RX, Xeroweight Flashback, various other imaging applications... even Macrium REFLECT) will "burp" due to this partition size change and will do different things based on their next image/snapshot operation.  This is exactly what happened to many users when the Windows 8.1 System was upgraded to Windows 8.1 Upgrade 1... it was a serious PITA for many users.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...