Incremental backup consolidation fails

Author
ART11
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have set up a couple of backup definitions, of both the Image and File Backup types, to use a Grandfather/Father/Son strategy to make backups to two hard drives in a networked computer. Each of the definition files specifies that 7 incremental backups will be retained, and thus consolidation of the incrementals should begin with the 8th one. Everything seems to work fine until that 8th incremental. However, when the 8th (and subsequent) incremental backup runs, it fails to consolidate. (Nevertheless, the log file reports that the backup was a success.) But the incremental backups just keep accumulating, and never consolidate.

The log files generate messages similar to this one:

Macrium Reflect LogIncremental Backups:  8 found
Consolidation:              Merging 'AC9CFE68AD305D18-02-02.mrimg' with 'AC9CFE68AD305D18-03-03.mrimg'
                                     Failed: Failed to open '\\MST-W7\ST750-bkup2_F\F_ARTBackupWin\AC9CFE68AD305D18-03-03.mrimg' - Access is
                                     denied.
                                     Successfully recovered from failed consolidation

I suspect the problem with accessing the specified backup files may be related to the fact that, in the backup definitions, I elected to encrypt the backups and require a password; and that for some reason the consolidation process does not provide that password. But it could be something else. In either case, can someone tell me how to remedy this problem?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Edited 27 September 2015 10:59 PM by ART11
Stephen
Stephen
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Art11,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

Please submit a ticket so we can request further information from you.

http://www.macrium.com/support.aspx#tickets

Kind regards

Stephen - Macrium Support

ART11
ART11
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
I submitted a ticket with all the requested information on 9/29, but still have not received a reply after a week. The problem continues, so if anyone can help with this it would be greatly appreciated.
Stephen
Stephen
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Art11,

Gosha has replied to your ticket. Please do not hesitate to get back to us if you need further assistance. 

Kind regards

Stephen - Macrium Support

dlma1
dlma1
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
I have a similar problem.  And I tried to open a ticket but the support site keeps on saying that "something has gone wrong" and to contact Macrium.  That is what trying to do!  Please help! 
Lee
Lee
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (174 reputation)Macrium Representative (174 reputation)Macrium Representative (174 reputation)Macrium Representative (174 reputation)Macrium Representative (174 reputation)Macrium Representative (174 reputation)Macrium Representative (174 reputation)Macrium Representative (174 reputation)Macrium Representative (174 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hello dlma1,

Apologies we are looking into why you cannot submit a ticket and hope to correct this soon.

Consolidation Failed - Access is Denied errors tend to be due to the user account not having sufficient folder permissions to allow consolidation.

To write backups on to a disk requires only Write access while consolidation would need Delete access/Full Control.

In the case that you are using a Synology NAS, the following article will provide guidance on how to customise permissions using Windows ACL and create a permission set which gives the user the ability to Read, Write and Delete files from a particular folder.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/File_Sharing/How_to_manage_ACL_settings_on_your_Synology_NAS

Kind Regards,

Lee - Macrium Support

dlma1
dlma1
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
I was able to get thru to support after the website issue was fixed.  All is working now!  Thanks to GREAT Macrium support staff!

Henrik
Henrik
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
dlma1 - 6 May 2016 2:47 PM
I was able to get thru to support after the website issue was fixed.  All is working now!  Thanks to GREAT Macrium support staff!

What was the solution? I too have this problem.

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)
^ Did you see the post by Lee directly above the one you quoted, including the link to the Synology page? If changing permissions from Windows doesn’t fix it, try checking the permissions settings on the NAS itself. This error came up in another thread, and in that case the user found that the owner (in the UNIX permissions sense of the term) of the previous backup files and the newer files didn’t match. Changing the owner of the older files via the management interface of the NAS itself resolved the issue in that case.
Edited 5 August 2018 6:08 AM by jphughan
Henrik
Henrik
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
jphughan - 5 August 2018 6:03 AM
^ Did you see the post by Lee directly above the one you quoted, including the link to the Synology page? If changing permissions from Windows doesn’t fix it, try checking the permissions settings on the NAS itself. This error came up in another thread, and in that case the user found that the owner (in the UNIX permissions sense of the term) of the previous backup files and the newer files didn’t match. Changing the owner of the older files via the management interface of the NAS itself resolved the issue in that case.

OK, I'm using Windows, not a NAS, but I'll try changing the owner as well.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...