0x01 Error | Backup aborted! - Failed to Create Volume Snapshot. Failed - 0x8004230f - IDispatch...

Author
Dypsis
Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi.
I have just started getting the following error making backups.
0x01 Error | Backup aborted! - Failed to Create Volume Snapshot. Failed - 0x8004230f - IDispatch error #8463

Judging by the log, it appears to be a VSS problem. I have run the "Fix VSS Problems" task, but it doesn't help.

The strange thing is, I have since run the following backups using VSS, and they run fine.
Image For Windows
Drive Snapshot
AOMEI Backupper

I have run a chkdsk C: /r on both the source and destination drives.

Attached is a Reflect log.

Attachments
Reflect Log.txt (3 views, 4.00 KB)
Edited 1 October 2019 10:41 PM by Dypsis
Flyer
Flyer
Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)
Pretty sure this error was caused by Aomei. I quit using it about a year ago and started using Macrium. Every time a backup was run with Aomei, it was throwing 4 VSS errors in Windows Event Viewer (you should check it on your PC) even though the backup was completing successfully. The Fix VSS error function in Macrium was able to correct this problem but Aomei was also causing random lockups that caused scheduled backups to fail and required me to restart the PC to fix it. This problem is STILL ongoing with Aomei and is very active on their forum. It has not been fixed in over a year. Last week I finally decided to uninstall Aomei as I wasn't using it. The next backup run by Macrium failed and gave me the same picture and error that you posted. Macrium support gave me several things to try to fix it and said that error is usually caused by another third party backup program conflicting with Windows Shadow Copy. Nothing helped me as every backup attempt kept giving me the same error you have. So I restored a system image taken the night before the uninstall and everything is back to normal with Macrium. Something in the Aomei uninstall damaged Windows Shadow Copy for me. I suspect it's doing it for you while still being active.
I really don't have a fix for you, but do contact Macrium support and they may be able to help you. Also possible some of the forum guru's here have better ways to fix Windows Shadow Copy. 
Edited 2 October 2019 2:01 AM by Flyer
Dypsis
Dypsis
Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)
Hi Flyer.
I have other computers with both Macrium Reflect and AOMEI Backupper, and they run OK.

Flyer
Flyer
Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)
I was a long time user of Aomei and thought it was a great product. I was very active in their forum and was made a forum moderator (I still am). Again, when I finally uninstalled Aomei last week I got the exact same errors and red script you show. Macrium support said those errors are usually attributed to a third party back up program interfering or corrupting Windows Shadow Copy. Restoring a system image to the night before the Aomei uninstall resolved the problem for me. As I said, something in the uninstall took down part of Windows Shadow Copy along with the Aomei program.  (something in Aomei was hooked to the shadow copy????)
In any case, I think it's too much of a coincidence that the exact error I got last week with Aomei shows up with someone else who says he's using Aomei. Just like some people can install Windows updates without a problem, some can't. That may be the case here. While you are/were getting good results, it doesn't mean it will work that way for everyone or on all your PC's. It wasn't a conflict between Aomei and Macrium for me, this was an Aomei uninstall problem.
Again, it appears your Windows Shadow Copy function is damaged, corrupted, whatever and hopefully one of the forum gurus might know of some fixes for that.
Edited 3 October 2019 12:29 AM by Flyer
Dypsis
Dypsis
Thanks for your reply, Flyer.

Even though the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider Service was running, I tried repairing it, but it still didn't fix the problem.
So, I took the easy way out and took your suggestion and just restored a Drive Snapshot image (a lovely little program Smile ) taken prior to installing AOMEI Backupper and Reflect is working again. Smile

It still doesn't explain why Image For Windows and Drive Snapshot continued to work. And also, I still have AOMEI Backupper running on other computers without this problem.

Once again. Thanks for your input. Smile

L. W. "Dan" Danz
L. W. "Dan" Danz
Expert
Expert (990 reputation)Expert (990 reputation)Expert (990 reputation)Expert (990 reputation)Expert (990 reputation)Expert (990 reputation)Expert (990 reputation)Expert (990 reputation)Expert (990 reputation)Expert (990 reputation)
Glad you fixed it.  I was about to tell you the diagnostic command that would have shed light (for you and anybody who reads this later).  It's too late this time since you've already removed the 3rd party backup product.

From an elevated command prompt:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>vssadmin list providers
vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001-2013 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
 Provider type: System
 Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
 Version: 1.0.0.7

If there is anything except that provider shown,then that is a possible source of the conflict that was reported to you.

I remember a recent duplicate post reporting this problem.  That user had stopped using the 3rd-party backup (replete with a VSS provider) but he had not uninstalled it, so the VSS provider was still registered with VSS and interfered with Reflect.

I don't use AOMEI but those users who report it works with Macrium might want to check;  I suspect they did not configure the use of VSS/Shadow Copies in one or the other of the programs.

L W "Dan" Danz, Overland Park KS 
MR v8.0.6392+ Win10.21H2-19044.1415+ & Win11.21H2-22000.474+

Dypsis
Dypsis
Hi L.W.
This is all I have.
If it is worth me doing, I can check another computer that still has AOMEI Backupper on it later.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> vssadmin list providers
vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001-2013 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
 Provider type: System
 Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
 Version: 1.0.0.7

Edited 2 October 2019 2:02 PM by Dypsis
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...