Creating Rescue Media After Upgrading to Windows 10

Author
Cardboard
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello, 

After upgrading to Windows 10, do I need to recreate my Rescue Media? 

My apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere, but I've had a good hunt round and couldn't find anything.

Many thanks in advance.
Tags
Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)

The rescue media is based on the version of Win PE and on your hardware, NOT on the version of Windows you use.  So unless there were hardware changes involved it would not seem like a rebuild of the rescue media would be needed.

Cardboard
Cardboard
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Thanks for the reply Drac144.  I've upgraded from Windows 7 so the Rescue Media I created within Reflect was using Windows PE 3.1.  I notice when you attempt to create the Rescue Media that it shows options to use different versions of Windows PE (3.1, 4.0, 5.0) depending on which version of the Windows OS you are using.  I've also read elsewhere that for Windows 10, a new version of Windows PE is available.  I suppose the most important question is whether or not my existing Rescue Media will allow me to install my latest backup which is now running Windows 10.
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi 

Thanks for posting.

As Drac144 has indicated, your Windows PE rescue media is independent of the host OS. If your rescue media can access your local disks and backup drives then that is the only requirement. The reason why there are different Win PE builds is that the later Windows PE versions include a driver database that more closely matches the hardware of PC's that were shipped when that version of PE was introduced. In your case, as you upgraded from Windows 7, the closest match is likely to be PE PE 3.1.  The only exception is if you are using USB 3.0. Support for USB 3.0 was added after Windows PE 3.1.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Cardboard
Cardboard
Nick, 

That's excellent, may thanks for the reply.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...