USB drive as target - changed drive letters

Author
Headless
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi,

I have trouble using the right drive letter as the target for file backup.
Current settings:
- My source: D:\data (internal HD)
- My target:  R:\backups (USB 3.0 external drive named mybakdrive)

Sometimes the USB drive connected will have a different drive letter, e.g. after a resume action.
Then it is like M:\
As a result the scheduled backup will not happen.

Can I name the external USB in another way?
Like \\mybakdrive\backups 
Any ideas?

I'm using MR v6 Home edition.
Windows 7 Home Professional, 64 bit.

Edit:
I know about alternative locations.
But currently I do NOT know, which drive letter will be assigned, may be M: or L: or P: or ...

Headless
Edited 29 July 2015 3:47 PM by Headless
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Headless 

Thanks for posting. 

Windows  manages drive letter persistence by storing the Disk ID/Partition offset  and letter association in the system registry under 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices'. This enables USB drives to be attached and the same drive letter to be used every time. Where this falls down is if a new drive is attached without the previous 'persistent' drive present, Windows will then re-use the drive letter from the previous drive and if you re-attach the previous drive Windows then allocates the next available letter. 

The solution is to attach all drives at the same time and, using the Windows Disk Management Console, set your desired letters for each drive. The next time you plug in any of those drives Windows will use the allocated drive letter. Alternatively, your solution to use a network UNC path should actually work quite well. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Headless
Headless
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
I decided to use this solution: mount locally attatched USB drive to internal HD path.

1. Remove the drive letter
  • Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management -> right-click on the partition and "change drive letter and path"
  • click "Delete" for existing drive letter R:
2. Create mount point path
  • created a folder on my local HD as "C:\Mounted\UsbBackup"
3. Mount this path to USB drive
  • Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management -> right-click on the partition and "change drive letter and path"
  • click "mount under this folder"
    Windows will create a junction point on my C: drive "C:\Mounted\UsbBackup".
    "UsbBackup" is marked with an arrow indicating a junction point.
4. Change backup target in MacriumReflect
  • Set destination folder from "R:\backups\"  to "C:\Mounted\UsbBackup\backups\"

I have no idea how to setup an UNC path to a locally attached external drive.
Do you?

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
I have no idea how to setup an UNC path to a locally attached external drive.
Do you?

Right click on the drive in Windows Explorer and select 'Properties':

Click 'Sharing' > 'Advanced Sharing' > 'Share this Folder' and enter your share name:

You can then access the drive by using the syntax:
\\COMPUTERNAME\BackupDrive

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
You can assign a Share Name to a drive or folder.  Then you can reference that drive or folder by its share name rather than a drive letter.  You can find the share name under Properties for the drive or folder.

Headless
Headless
Thank you, Nic and Drac144.
Valuable hint.

I've read in other forum posts, that using a share name will have influence to
- rights
- performance

Is this right?
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
There may be a performance hit. The correct approach is to use Windows persistence of drive letter assignments as described in my first reply.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 3 August 2015 12:59 PM by Nick
Headless
Headless
@Nick
I changed it to match your proposal.
Thx.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...