Synthetic Full failing...

Author
SmartAceW0LF
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I have Reflect V6 running on a VM Hypervisor with SQL Server and Server 2008R2. I will also note that I have the SQL extension with my Reflect software. I have my backups from within the VM going to a mapped drive that is attached via USB to the Host machine which has its own backup (Reflect V7). Recently, I have observed that the backups are failing. Just this evening after repairing some network issues with the guest OS on this machine, I attempted to run a full backup. The backup goes through the motions okay until the very end when it is about to wrap up and then it quits with the message that the backup failed. I am getting the message (within the log) each time this happens, and I will note that it is happening every time as of the last few days. 

Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - The device is not ready. Note that this comes up only within the final moments of being connected just fine for over an hour in the process of writing to the drive. Just below this notice is this "I/O Performance: Read 246.1 Mb/s - Write 480.7 Mb/s"

I have dug through the event viewer everywhere and can find no more information about why exactly it stops at this stage. It seems to me that I ran across one log awhile back that said "Backup aborted - Write operation failed - Permission denied, no access to folder" Note this last one is from my memory not a copy and paste from the logs. Any ideas?

I am also having an ongoing issue trying to get email messages upon failure of backups. All of this used to work fine. Lately, I am getting very well acquainted with the need for backups so needless to say I am very troubled about this. The upside is that I am also becoming much more familiar with the Reflect software. So far, it has saved my bacon several times. Still, minus email notifications of failure I have lost a days work more than once in restoring the databases. I forgot to mention that I also do daily backups of the SQL databases at the end of each day. These have not been a problem since correcting the network issues with the VM. 

Chris
Chris
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)
Group: Moderators
SmartAceW0LF - 5 August 2019 7:14 AM
I have Reflect V6 running on a VM Hypervisor with SQL Server and Server 2008R2. I will also note that I have the SQL extension with my Reflect software. I have my backups from within the VM going to a mapped drive that is attached via USB to the Host machine which has its own backup (Reflect V7). Recently, I have observed that the backups are failing. Just this evening after repairing some network issues with the guest OS on this machine, I attempted to run a full backup. The backup goes through the motions okay until the very end when it is about to wrap up and then it quits with the message that the backup failed. I am getting the message (within the log) each time this happens, and I will note that it is happening every time as of the last few days. 

Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - The device is not ready. Note that this comes up only within the final moments of being connected just fine for over an hour in the process of writing to the drive. Just below this notice is this "I/O Performance: Read 246.1 Mb/s - Write 480.7 Mb/s"

I have dug through the event viewer everywhere and can find no more information about why exactly it stops at this stage. It seems to me that I ran across one log awhile back that said "Backup aborted - Write operation failed - Permission denied, no access to folder" Note this last one is from my memory not a copy and paste from the logs. Any ideas?

I am also having an ongoing issue trying to get email messages upon failure of backups. All of this used to work fine. Lately, I am getting very well acquainted with the need for backups so needless to say I am very troubled about this. The upside is that I am also becoming much more familiar with the Reflect software. So far, it has saved my bacon several times. Still, minus email notifications of failure I have lost a days work more than once in restoring the databases. I forgot to mention that I also do daily backups of the SQL databases at the end of each day. These have not been a problem since correcting the network issues with the VM. 

Hi @SmartAceW0LF

Thanks for posting, sorry you are having issue with the backups.

With the target being an external USB disk, the following KB may be of assistance (while not directly related):
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/Backup+aborted+-+Write+operation+failed+-+The+request+could+not+be+performed+because+of+an+IO+device+error

Also, have you tried a different USB cable with the device, oOr possibly a different target device in an attempt to diagnose the issue.

With regard the email notification issue. Once the server settings have been tested and verified in the Macrium Reflect defaults, have you updated your backup definition ?
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/Configuring+e-mail+notifications

If you continue to have issues please raise a support ticket at http://helpme.macrium.com

Many thanks, kind regards.

--
Chris Bamford
Macrium Reflect Development & Support
KnowledgeBase: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/
YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Macrium

Next Webinar

SmartAceW0LF
SmartAceW0LF
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Chris - 5 August 2019 12:21 PM

Hi @SmartAceW0LF

With the target being an external USB disk, the following KB may be of assistance (while not directly related):
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/Backup+aborted+-+Write+operation+failed+-+The+request+could+not+be+performed+because+of+an+IO+device+error

Also, have you tried a different USB cable with the device, oOr possibly a different target device in an attempt to diagnose the issue.

With regard the email notification issue. Once the server settings have been tested and verified in the Macrium Reflect defaults, have you updated your backup definition ?
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/Configuring+e-mail+notifications

If you continue to have issues please raise a support ticket at http://helpme.macrium.com

Thanks Chris for your prompt reply. I have begun doing these things and will reply back momentarily after I repeat this first one. Waiting on the server to reboot. That will easily be 15 minutes. Or at least it seems that way!

SmartAceW0LF
SmartAceW0LF

Hi @SmartAceW0LF

Ok still getting the error after performing the first step outlined here. Next question is where do I find the "The results of the write performance check also can be edited and re-tested using the Disk Write Performance dialog.

Take the 'Backup' > 'Disk Write Performance...' menu option." as described in the first url of your suggestion?
Chris
Chris
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)Macrium Representative (236 reputation)
Group: Moderators
SmartAceW0LF - 5 August 2019 3:05 PM

Hi @SmartAceW0LF

Ok still getting the error after performing the first step outlined here. Next question is where do I find the "The results of the write performance check also can be edited and re-tested using the Disk Write Performance dialog.

Take the 'Backup' > 'Disk Write Performance...' menu option." as described in the first url of your suggestion?

HI @SmartAceW0LF

If I understand correctly you are asking where to find the results of the Disk Performance Tests ? There are 2 columns on the Disk Performance DIalog which show the 2 different methods of write tests, one is using File System Cache and one is showing Direct I/O. The values listed will be from the last test, you can retest by selecting a volume and clicking the Test button. More information can be found here:
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/Disk+Write+Performance+dialog

I suggest we take this to the support portal to gain more direct information, please raise a support ticket by visiting http://helpme.macrium.com

Kind regards.

--
Chris Bamford
Macrium Reflect Development & Support
KnowledgeBase: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/
YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Macrium

Next Webinar

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...