Cannot boot rescue from DVD or USB Drive

Author
memills
New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Attempting to do a ReDeploy to a new computer after computer died.

Made a rescue DVD -- will not boot.   Nothing happens.

Made a rescue USB Drive -- will not boot. Nothing happens.

So, I go to the BIOS settings, and indicate where to boot from. 

Set boot to DVD. Won't boot.  Nothing happens.

Set to boot to USB drive. Won't boot.  Nothing happens.

I was thinking about setting the Windows boot option, but that terrifies me.   Last time I did that, the system itself would not boot from the hard drive.

I have an HP Gaming Desktop 690-00xx.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

Chris
Chris
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (230 reputation)Macrium Representative (230 reputation)Macrium Representative (230 reputation)Macrium Representative (230 reputation)Macrium Representative (230 reputation)Macrium Representative (230 reputation)Macrium Representative (230 reputation)Macrium Representative (230 reputation)Macrium Representative (230 reputation)
Group: Moderators
memills - 19 June 2019 2:31 AM
Attempting to do a ReDeploy to a new computer after computer died.

Made a rescue DVD -- will not boot.   Nothing happens.

Made a rescue USB Drive -- will not boot. Nothing happens.

So, I go to the BIOS settings, and indicate where to boot from. 

Set boot to DVD. Won't boot.  Nothing happens.

Set to boot to USB drive. Won't boot.  Nothing happens.

I was thinking about setting the Windows boot option, but that terrifies me.   Last time I did that, the system itself would not boot from the hard drive.

I have an HP Gaming Desktop 690-00xx.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

Hi @memills

Thanks for posting, sorry you are having issues booting rescue media.

You don't indicate if the motherboard is set for EFI or MBR booting. Please could you enable legacy booting if the option is available and try booting the rescue media again. You should have no issue creating a boot menu.

If the issue persists lease submit a support ticket by visiting https://www.macrium.com/support or email support (at) macrium (dot) com.

Kind regard.

--
Chris Bamford
Macrium Reflect Development & Support
KnowledgeBase: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/
YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Macrium

Next Webinar

memills
memills
New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)
Got it to boot to the rescue USB drive by booting into Windows 10 safe mode (not via BIOS settings), and there was an option there to boot from the drive.

New problem:   ReDeploy is unavailable using the free trial version.

I downloaded the full Reflect, but it will not accept my licence # because I must first remove the licence from the install on the old computer -- which I cannot do because it is dead.   It says to contact Macrium if this is the case -- which am (here) / and will via support email.

Thanks!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)
You shouldn't need to boot into Windows to boot from an external device, because obviously there will be cases where you need to boot from an external device because there's nothing bootable on the internal disk.  Most systems have a hotkey that can be pressed during initial startup that will invoke a one-time boot menu.  It's usually something like F2, F3, F8, F9, or F12.  When that menu is invoked, you should be able to choose to boot from an optical disc or flash drive that way.  If your system is set up to boot in UEFI, that might even be the only way to boot from external devices, because on some UEFI systems, the boot options list you see in the BIOS is limited only to bootloader paths that have been registered into the firmware.  That happens for OS installations, but wouldn't be the case for temporary devices like optical discs and flash drives.  On Legacy BIOS systems you should be able to mess around with boot order if you want, but even there it's typically more convenient to use a one-time menu for short-term needs.  So if you haven't already, see if you can find out what the one-time boot menu key is for your system and try using that to boot your Rescue Media.

If it still doesn't work, have you successfully booted booting anything other than Rescue Media?

Edited 19 June 2019 1:33 PM by jphughan
memills
memills
jphughan - 19 June 2019 1:30 PM
You shouldn't need to boot into Windows to boot from an external device, because obviously there will be cases where you need to boot from an external device because there's nothing bootable on the internal disk.  Most systems have a hotkey that can be pressed during initial startup that will invoke a one-time boot menu.  It's usually something like F2, F3, F8, F9, or F12.  When that menu is invoked, you should be able to choose to boot from an optical disc or flash drive that way.  If your system is set up to boot in UEFI, that might even be the only way to boot from external devices, because on some UEFI systems, temporary devices like optical discs and flash drives aren't even listed in the boot options list you'll find in the BIOS Setup because technically boot paths on a UEFI system need to be registered into the firmware, which won't be the case for temporarily attached devices.  So if you haven't already, see if you can find out what the one-time boot menu key is for your system and try using that to boot your Rescue Media.

If it still doesn't work, have you successfully booted booting anything other than Rescue Media?

On my system to get to the BIOS menu I keep pressing ESC during bootup, then F9.

There are BIOS menu options to boot to the DVD (if a disk is in the drive), or, to the USB drive if one is connected.   

However, after selecting either boot option, nothing happens when it reboots.   Nothing.   

As you noted, I'm screwed if Windows will not boot, and I cannot boot to media on the DVD or USB drive.

I guess I should contact the computer maker, HP, re this problem.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.9K reputation)
I know this might sound simplistic, but how long are you waiting when nothing is happening?  I've seen some systems that don't seem to give any feedback when booting from external media until it's completely loaded, and especially when booting from a slower optical disc drive, that can take a minute or two.  If that doesn't resolve it, just to start isolating variables, do you have access to another PC where you can test boot either the disc or flash drive, or else some other bootable media (such as Windows installation media) that you can test on your HP Gaming PC?

memills
memills
jphughan - 19 June 2019 1:49 PM
I know this might sound simplistic, but how long are you waiting when nothing is happening?  I've seen some systems that don't seem to give any feedback when booting from external media until it's completely loaded, and especially when booting from a slower optical disc drive, that can take a minute or two.  If that doesn't resolve it, just to start isolating variables, do you have access to another PC where you can test boot either the disc or flash drive, or else some other bootable media (such as Windows installation media) that you can test on your HP Gaming PC?

Waited at least 5 minutes.   One clue when trying to boot from the DVD drive was that there was no activity on the DVD.

My older computer -- the one that died -- was the exact make  and model as this new one.   I could never boot from a DVD or USB drive from that computer either.    That makes me suspicious that it is something to do with this computer make / model.     

And, the fact that I could boot from media via Windows 10 safe mode, but not from BIOS, is very weird.

HP will be getting a call from me....   

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help.

Right now the new computer is 75% done with the Redeploy (knock wood)....
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search