Online Files

Author
Herosreturn
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a series of folders some with every file online, some with only a selection. How can I set the backup to ignore or exclude online files?
dbminter
dbminter
Guru
Guru (1.1K reputation)Guru (1.1K reputation)Guru (1.1K reputation)Guru (1.1K reputation)Guru (1.1K reputation)Guru (1.1K reputation)Guru (1.1K reputation)Guru (1.1K reputation)Guru (1.1K reputation)
I'm guessing these online files are on a cloud service?  If they are, you can't add them as far as I know.  You can only add things basically from a partition.  I guess if you had some kind of networked drive with a drive letter assigned to it, you could add files to a File And Folder backup from the network volume.  However, if they're hosted on a cloud service, the only way I can see you adding files to a File And Folder backup is to copy them from the cloud to some local storage and back them up from local storage.  Now, I don't know this to be the case, but I would guess it is.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)
I'm guessing this refers to the "Make available offline" option that's available in Windows when accessing mapped network drives, where you can choose to cache all or some of the files on that share for offline access.  And the question refers to how to exclude files that are available only online from the backup, presumably because the backup might run while the system is offline (relative to the network share).  To my knowledge, there's no way to do that in Reflect.

Herosreturn
Herosreturn
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
You've guessed pretty correctly, I have 12tb series of drives running in raid mode, part is hived off and allocated to OneDrive. A large portion of the online files also exist offline but my problem is that the backup will always come back saying that there are warnings on the backup which are all the online files. I can't move them because they are random, so I was wondering if there was a means of identifying the files as offline, there must be because Macrium says it hasn't backed up these files because they are online! If I could use a switch to ignore online files then no more warnings!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)
Ok, some of what you've said has made this even more confusing:

- You said "You've guessed pretty correctly", but two people made completely different guesses.

- How do you connect to this "12TB series of drives running in RAID mode"?

- How exactly do you make a large portion of the "online" files also exist offline?  Are you using the "Make available offline" function in Windows I mentioned?  You didn't confirm that.

- Why are the "online" files random?

- What is the exact error you're getting in Reflect?  Does it specifically say, "Did not back up this file because it is online"?  If it just says it didn't back up a file and the "because they are online" portion was your own comment rather than part of the Reflect error message, then the fact that Reflect didn't back up certain files doesn't mean it would be able to filter them out.  The only filter mechanisms available in Reflect are the include and exclude paths and masks that you can customize on a per-directory basis.

Also just for clarity, if the issue is in fact that your "online" files aren't available during the backup because your system is not connected to your that source at the time, then it would be helpful to identify the problematic files that you're currently calling "online" as "online-only" or "unavailable" (during the backup).  Technically if the files are literally "online", then that would mean they're actually available and therefore could be backed up.  If on the other hand when you say "online" files you mean "files stored in the cloud at a place like OneDrive", then that's something else entirely.

Herosreturn
Herosreturn
Your guess is pretty correct. There is a large volume, didndoe matter how it's configured really. There is a OneDrive folder on the volume, some of those files which are online files are also held offline which Macrium backups up to a local NAS drive. Macrium is working perfectly, the problem is the online files are causing a warning which I then have to read through to check they haven't missed something important for another reason! Is that clearer? Sorry I never made it clear from the start, trying to eliminate the warnings so I can sort the wheat from the chafe if you get my drift
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, so you're trying to make backups of your OneDrive folder contents to another location.  In that case, you may want to check out this thread.  I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're seeing though since you're not actually sharing the exact error that the logs are showing -- but hopefully it helps.

Herosreturn
Herosreturn
Sorry I didn't get straight back, problem came up.
The actual error reads as Error Reading:    \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy12\OneDrive\Bike PC\Documents\Logan Plumbing Job for Newton Road.docx
Access to the cloud file is denied.
I suspect you are going the say same as the problem in the thread. By the way, your help has been much appreciated
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search