Winre partition

Author
Danskeman
Talented Member
Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
On my 32GB laptop, I normally delete the winre partition to save space.

Can you create the winre version of the rescue media if that partition is not present?
Chris
Chris
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (231 reputation)Macrium Representative (231 reputation)Macrium Representative (231 reputation)Macrium Representative (231 reputation)Macrium Representative (231 reputation)Macrium Representative (231 reputation)Macrium Representative (231 reputation)Macrium Representative (231 reputation)Macrium Representative (231 reputation)Macrium Representative (231 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Danskeman - 28 February 2019 6:57 AM
On my 32GB laptop, I normally delete the winre partition to save space.

Can you create the winre version of the rescue media if that partition is not present?

Hi @Danskeman

Thanks for posting. The creation of WinRE resuce media is based on the presence of the winre.wim file. This can sometimes be located on the recovery partition.

To determine the location, from an elevated command prompt run the reagent tool with /info parameter.​ This will let you know which partition this file is on.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards.
​​​​​​​​​

--
Chris Bamford
Macrium Reflect Development & Support
KnowledgeBase: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/
YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Macrium

Next Webinar

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (8.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.5K reputation)
If you just delete the WinRE partition, chances are that WinRE.wim is gone.  If you run "reagentc /disable" while it still exists, Windows will move the WinRE.wim file back to \Windows\System32\Recovery, in which case you can delete it, but then of course your storage consumption is still about the same because the Recovery partition isn't too much larger than the WinRE.wim file to begin with.  So given that each Windows 10 release upgrade tries to create a Recovery partition if one doesn't already exist anyway, and that downloading the ADK to use the WinPE Rescue Media options instead would consume quite a bit of storage too, you may as well keep the Recovery partition.

Edited 28 February 2019 1:58 PM by jphughan
Danskeman
Danskeman
Talented Member
Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)
jphughan - 28 February 2019 1:56 PM
If you just delete the WinRE partition, chances are that WinRE.wim is gone.  If you run "reagentc /disable" while it still exists, Windows will move the WinRE.wim file back to \Windows\System32\Recovery, in which case you can delete it, but then of course your storage consumption is still about the same because the Recovery partition isn't too much larger than the WinRE.wim file to begin with.  So given that each Windows 10 release upgrade tries to create a Recovery partition if one doesn't already exist anyway, and that downloading the ADK to use the WinPE Rescue Media options instead would consume quite a bit of storage too, you may as well keep the Recovery partition.

Yeah I kind of guessed that.  Having said that, I could just stick with latest version on my small laptop as it works fine and if I had to wipe it, no big deal.
Edited 1 March 2019 6:42 AM by Danskeman
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search