Docker Container with Macrium Site Manager

Author
Michael
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi!

So far the Site Manger only runs on Windows based OS, like Win 10 or Windows Server.

This means it is necessary that a PC or a server runs 24/7 to get the most out of the manager. I tried to install Win10 for the purpose of running the Site Manager on my Synology NAS using a VM (QEMU as far as I know), however, due to limited ressources on this NAS, this won't run perfectly well. Did not even try Windows Server.

On the same Synology NAS (DS916+, btw.) I've many docker containers running (4 to be precisely) - Would it be possible to get a docker based Site Manger one day?

Thanks,
Michael

Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Michael - 11 February 2019 5:50 PM
Hi!

So far the Site Manger only runs on Windows based OS, like Win 10 or Windows Server.

This means it is necessary that a PC or a server runs 24/7 to get the most out of the manager. I tried to install Win10 for the purpose of running the Site Manager on my Synology NAS using a VM (QEMU as far as I know), however, due to limited ressources on this NAS, this won't run perfectly well. Did not even try Windows Server.

On the same Synology NAS (DS916+, btw.) I've many docker containers running (4 to be precisely) - Would it be possible to get a docker based Site Manger one day?

Thanks,
Michael

Hi Michael,

In principle, a docker container running Windows Server Core should be capable of running Site Manager as it's a headless service, however some of the underlying comms technology might have a little trouble - MSMQ seems to be quite sensitive to DNS changes and causes a lot of disk and comms traffic (this is why we're moving away from MSMQ in a major update).
All config files are stored in c:\programdata\macrium\sitemanager, so it should be relatively easy task to containerize, however I'm not a docker expert and we don't currently have plans for an official Site Manager for Docker release at the moment. It's a nice concept for home/small business users though, so I'll pass the suggestion on to our dev team.

Regards,
Alex

Kind regards,
Alex,
Macrium Development.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login