How to Boot after Windows10 Failure

Author
Nicolas Forwood
New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have my Windows10 Lenovo Flex5 laptop for about a year now and never thought about to make a rescue media. Today I went through the process and although the process was completed I didn’t understand what will happen if my system one day does not start.

When I got the laptop, I follow the instructions and made a boot USB but this will only restore my factory OS and perhaps delete in the process all other private directories. I want to know how to reboot with Reflect and perhaps even restore from my Reflect backup.

I remember Reflect said that I can boot without DVD/USB and it had a list of these controllers which the driver existed:
USB Compliant Host Controller
Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller
Intel DualBand Wireless AC8265

I thought perhaps Reflect made some entries in my BIOS with some or all of the above but when I checked my BIOS afterwards I didn’t see anything similar.

So how Reflect will start my system if I have a failure?

Thanks

Nicolas Forwood
Nicolas Forwood
New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)
Nicolas Forwood - 9 February 2019 2:45 AM
I have my Windows10 Lenovo Flex5 laptop for about a year now and never thought about to make a rescue media. Today I went through the process and although the process was completed I didn’t understand what will happen if my system one day does not start.

When I got the laptop, I follow the instructions and made a boot USB but this will only restore my factory OS and perhaps delete in the process all other private directories. I want to know how to reboot with Reflect and perhaps even restore from my Reflect backup.

I remember Reflect said that I can boot without DVD/USB and it had a list of these controllers which the driver existed:
USB Compliant Host Controller
Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller
Intel DualBand Wireless AC8265

I thought perhaps Reflect made some entries in my BIOS with some or all of the above but when I checked my BIOS afterwards I didn’t see anything similar.

So how Reflect will start my system if I have a failure?

Thanks

I found my answers by accident today. Windows10 is different from previous OS and yesterday when I access the BIOS and went to boot sequence tab to look for a new entry from Reflect I didn’t look in the other options. Now I noticed there is a new entry  “Macrium Reflect Restore Options” and when I click it it takes you straight to Reflect with all the options you want. Very nice setup
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)
It sounds like you’re currently using the boot menu recovery option. That is NOT what you want to rely on, because in that case Reflect is loading from files on your hard drive, and obviously if something goes wrong that renders those files unreadable/deleted (or you had to replace the drive entirely with a new one that’s empty), that option you’re using won’t be available. The boot menu option is a convenience for scenarios where it’s available, but it is NOT a substitute for “external” Rescue Media. There’s a reason Reflect prompts you to create that as soon as you first launch it, FYI. Backups are rather useless if you can’t restore them.

The Create Rescue Media wizard can help you create a bootable flash drive that works on the same principle as the Lenovo factory recovery tool you created. Use that wizard to create a bootable flash drive and then test it by telling your PC to boot from the flash drive. If it works, that will be how you can load Reflect regardless of the state of your hard drive. Typically systems have a button that you can press during initial startup that takes you to a one-time boot menu so that you can choose to boot from USB that one time, rather than having to muck around with rearranging the BIOS boot order to do that and then change it back later. In fact on newer systems that use UEFI booting, USB flash drives aren’t always listed in the BIOS Setup boot order list anyway because temporarily attached devices aren’t registered into the UEFI firmware, so you basically have to use the one-time menu.

Rescue Media can use a flash drive as small as 1GB, and considering how cheap flash drives are, you may want to dedicate a flash drive specifically to this purpose. I use a SanDisk Ultra Flair. And then make sure to update it periodically, because occasionally Reflect updates contain fixes and enhancements that pertain to the Rescue environment.

The devices you listed have nothing to do with boot order entries. That list is just telling you that those devices have drivers available and therefore will be usable within the Rescue environment. If you didn’t have drivers for those items, it’s possible that your Rescue environment would not be able to see USB devices, your internal hard drive, or any devices on the network (where you might have stored backups), for example. But again, that doesn’t affect how the system boots. It just relates to what hardware will be usable when you load Rescue and therefore whether you can expect to be able to see both the location that contains your backups and the drive you would be restoring onto. That’s another reason it’s important to check your Rescue Media before disaster strikes. Make sure it can see everything it would need to see in order to restore your backup onto your hard drive, and for that matter that you actually know how to perform a restore.
Edited 9 February 2019 4:20 PM by jphughan
Nicolas Forwood
Nicolas Forwood
jphughan - 9 February 2019 3:58 PM
It sounds like you’re currently using the boot menu recovery option. That is NOT what you want to rely on, because in that case Reflect is loading from files on your hard drive, and obviously if something goes wrong that renders those files unreadable/deleted (or you had to replace the drive entirely with a new one that’s empty), that option you’re using won’t be available. The boot menu option is a convenience for scenarios where it’s available, but it is NOT a substitute for “external” Rescue Media. There’s a reason Reflect prompts you to create that as soon as you first launch it, FYI. Backups are rather useless if you can’t restore them.

The Create Rescue Media wizard can help you create a bootable flash drive that works on the same principle as the Lenovo factory recovery tool you created. Use that wizard to create a bootable flash drive and then test it by telling your PC to boot from the flash drive. If it works, that will be how you can load Reflect regardless of the state of your hard drive. Typically systems have a button that you can press during initial startup that takes you to a one-time boot menu so that you can choose to boot from USB that one time, rather than having to muck around with rearranging the BIOS boot order to do that and then change it back later. In fact on newer systems that use UEFI booting, USB flash drives aren’t always listed in the BIOS Setup boot order list anyway because temporarily attached devices aren’t registered into the UEFI firmware, so you basically have to use the one-time menu.

Rescue Media can use a flash drive as small as 1GB, and considering how cheap flash drives are, you may want to dedicate a flash drive specifically to this purpose. I use a SanDisk Ultra Flair. And then make sure to update it periodically, because occasionally Reflect updates contain fixes and enhancements that pertain to the Rescue environment.

The devices you listed have nothing to do with boot order entries. That list is just telling you that those devices have drivers available and therefore will be usable within the Rescue environment. If you didn’t have drivers for those items, it’s possible that your Rescue environment would not be able to see USB devices, your internal hard drive, or any devices on the network (where you might have stored backups), for example. But again, that doesn’t affect how the system boots. It just relates to what hardware will be usable when you load Rescue and therefore whether you can expect to be able to see both the location that contains your backups and the drive you would be restoring onto. That’s another reason it’s important to check your Rescue Media before disaster strikes. Make sure it can see everything it would need to see in order to restore your backup onto your hard drive, and for that matter that you actually know how to perform a restore.

Thank you for taking the time to educate me and I agree as you mentioned that “Backups are rather useless if you can’t restore them”.

It is my first time I venture to create a restore for a Windows10 OS and there are some issues I am not familiar with this OS but I think I got what I need.

First assuming I can start my laptop, in this case I will go to PC Settings / Update & Security / Recovery / Advanced Setup and from there I can select the “Macrium Reflect Restore Option” and with my USB external drive connected I can choose the backup I need to make my restore

If I can’t start my laptop, then I will use the DVD I made from the Reflect ISO file to boot and then I will use again the backup I need from my USB external drive.

I have done restores with the Windows8.1 and Vista but never with Windows10 and I think I will never have to use restore on Windows10 but at least I'm ready (I hope!).

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)
Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 work basically the same way in this respect, although the reboot options are different depending on whether your system uses Legacy BIOS or UEFI booting, so that may account for the new behavior you're seeing.  Anyhow, your plans for each scenario are perfectly reasonable.  The boot menu recovery option is very handy for cases where you want to roll back your system after an application installation or Windows update that may have had an adverse effect (but not so adverse that the Reflect boot files were damaged) because that method doesn't require you to go get a USB flash drive or CD/DVD in order to access the Rescue environment.  And as long as you've ALSO got Rescue Media on a USB flash drive or CD/DVD to cover the more extreme scenarios, and you know how to boot your system from that type of device if needed, AND you've confirmed that the Rescue environment can see the drive containing your backups and the internal drive you'd be restoring onto, then you're all set! Smile

Nicolas Forwood
Nicolas Forwood
jphughan - 9 February 2019 5:59 PM
Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 work basically the same way in this respect, although the reboot options are different depending on whether your system uses Legacy BIOS or UEFI booting, so that may account for the new behavior you're seeing.  Anyhow, your plans for each scenario are perfectly reasonable.  The boot menu recovery option is very handy for cases where you want to roll back your system after an application installation or Windows update that may have had an adverse effect (but not so adverse that the Reflect boot files were damaged) because that method doesn't require you to go get a USB flash drive or CD/DVD in order to access the Rescue environment.  And as long as you've ALSO got Rescue Media on a USB flash drive or CD/DVD to cover the more extreme scenarios, and you know how to boot your system from that type of device if needed, AND you've confirmed that the Rescue environment can see the drive containing your backups and the internal drive you'd be restoring onto, then you're all set! Smile

Thanks for the heads up

I made a rescue DVD for my Vista and all went fine including the test however when I now start Vista I have a second boot menu to select MS Vista or Macrium Reflect, Vista is the default

I checked in the MSConfig startup tab and there is an entry there for Macrium Reflect but it’s not checked.

Is there an easy way to disable this extra boot entry?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
That’s the boot menu recovery option that allows you to access Rescue from the hard drive. If you don’t want it, remove it from within Reflect. If you’re running Reflect 7.2.xxxx, go to the Create Rescue Media wizard, select Windows Boot Menu in the list, and select Remove below. If you’re on an older version, go to Other Tasks > Recovery boot menu options (or whatever it’s called) and select No Menu.
Nicolas Forwood
Nicolas Forwood
jphughan - 9 February 2019 10:23 PM
That’s the boot menu recovery option that allows you to access Rescue from the hard drive. If you don’t want it, remove it from within Reflect. If you’re running Reflect 7.2.xxxx, go to the Create Rescue Media wizard, select Windows Boot Menu in the list, and select Remove below. If you’re on an older version, go to Other Tasks > Recovery boot menu options (or whatever it’s called) and select No Menu.

Just thinking, I don’t see any reason to have that menu but perhaps there is a reason?

I mean to use my rescue DVD all I have to do is re boot and select from my drives the DVD drive and that will boot the laptop to the WinPE and Reflect. Do I miss something?

Thanks

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
As I said earlier, the boot menu entry is a optional convenience that in many but not all situations will allow you to access the Rescue environment without having to go get your "external" Rescue Media on a disc or flash drive.  But if getting your "external" Rescue Media when you need it isn't inconvenient for you, then you certainly don't have to use the boot menu option.  I don't use it because I seldom need Rescue, and even when I do, my flash drive is a few feet away from my laptop.  But for example, some people perform Reflect restores on a fairly regular basis because they're frequently test software and want to roll back to their "baseline/known good" state when they're finished with each test.  For those people, having to use external Rescue Media all the time might become cumbersome, so they'd be more likely to benefit from the boot menu option.  It all depends on your use case and preferences.

Edited 9 February 2019 11:09 PM by jphughan
Nicolas Forwood
Nicolas Forwood
jphughan - 9 February 2019 11:06 PM
As I said earlier, the boot menu entry is a optional convenience that in many but not all situations will allow you to access the Rescue environment without having to go get your "external" Rescue Media on a disc or flash drive.  But if getting your "external" Rescue Media when you need it isn't inconvenient for you, then you certainly don't have to use the boot menu option.  I don't use it because I seldom need Rescue, and even when I do, my flash drive is a few feet away from my laptop.  But for example, some people perform Reflect restores on a fairly regular basis because they're frequently test software and want to roll back to their "baseline/known good" state when they're finished with each test.  For those people, having to use external Rescue Media all the time might become cumbersome, so they'd be more likely to benefit from the boot menu option.  It all depends on your use case and preferences.

I better understand now, thanks. I will follow your instructions and delete the extra menu trough Reflect
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...