Help me clone!

Author
Gringojack
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Need to move from HDD C:\ 450GO ntfs GPT to SSD GPT ntfs480GO
SSD is SATA motherbord connected, powered
Also need to keep the old 1TO total HDD
So, from "Clone this disk" to the end of the operation, to finish booted to new SSD  which would be R:\
Unallocated space will be reduced to Zero using Easus partition master
How to make old C:\ unbootable and new R:\ SSD bootable? How about the dualboot Win10/Reflect?
Thank you much for this help

Edited 8 February 2019 6:15 PM by Gringojack
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)
It would be faster, easier, and lower-risk to specify the custom partition sizes as part of the clone operation itself rather than doing it afterward with another tool.  The "Cloning a disk" page from the Reflect online user manual explains how to do that -- direct link here, and look at Steps 4 and 5.  In terms of making the new clone target bootable and retiring the old one, I would suggest the following:

- Create Rescue Media and make sure you can boot your system from it just in case.  Do NOT simply rely on the boot menu recovery option for this.  Make actual "external" Rescue Media on a flash drive or CD/DVD.
- Perform the clone.
- Shut down your system and temporarily disconnect the clone source drive (your 450GB drive).  Then connect your clone target (the 480GB SSD) via internal SATA if you haven't already done that.  If you had that SSD connected via SATA to USB adapter, for example, you won't be able to boot from it like that.
- Try booting your system.  In many cases Windows will start right up from the clone target.  If that doesn't happen, boot your PC from your external Rescue Media and run Fix Boot Problems, then try again.  Either way, the new SSD will become your C drive automatically because Windows always assigns C to the partition it booted from.
- Once you have your system booting from the new SSD, you can reconnect your old SSD.  Boot your system again and make sure you still booted from the new SSD by checking the size of your C drive.  If so, then if you want to completely repurpose the old SSD, I would use diskpart's "clean" command to completely wipe the disk, including all hidden partitions, and then you can repartition it however you want.
- In terms of the "dual boot Win10/Reflect", it sounds like you're referring to the boot menu recovery option.  That should still be working at this point, but if not, open Reflect, go to the Create Rescue Media wizard, and recreate it

Gringojack
Gringojack
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
jphughan - 8 February 2019 6:49 PM
It would be faster, easier, and lower-risk to specify the custom partition sizes as part of the clone operation itself rather than doing it afterward with another tool.  The "Cloning a disk" page from the Reflect online user manual explains how to do that -- direct link here, and look at Steps 4 and 5.  In terms of making the new clone target bootable and retiring the old one, I would suggest the following:

- Create Rescue Media and make sure you can boot your system from it just in case.  Do NOT simply rely on the boot menu recovery option for this.  Make actual "external" Rescue Media on a flash drive or CD/DVD.
- Perform the clone.
- Shut down your system and temporarily disconnect the clone source drive (your 450GB drive).  Then connect your clone target (the 480GB SSD) via internal SATA if you haven't already done that.  If you had that SSD connected via SATA to USB adapter, for example, you won't be able to boot from it like that.
- Try booting your system.  In many cases Windows will start right up from the clone target.  If that doesn't happen, boot your PC from your external Rescue Media and run Fix Boot Problems, then try again.  Either way, the new SSD will become your C drive automatically because Windows always assigns C to the partition it booted from.
- Once you have your system booting from the new SSD, you can reconnect your old SSD.  Boot your system again and make sure you still booted from the new SSD by checking the size of your C drive.  If so, then if you want to completely repurpose the old SSD, I would use diskpart's "clean" command to completely wipe the disk, including all hidden partitions, and then you can repartition it however you want.
- In terms of the "dual boot Win10/Reflect", it sounds like you're referring to the boot menu recovery option.  That should still be working at this point, but if not, open Reflect, go to the Create Rescue Media wizard, and recreate it

Gringojack
Gringojack
thank you jphughan
it seems simple as I read, Im gonna work on it!
Thank you much

Gringojack
Gringojack
Hi
After I select "Clone this disk", "Copy selected partitions" and "Cloned partitions properties", I get a smaller dialog box with a cursor that I do not understand. Wouldnt it be easyer to click the "Next" button of the previous box?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)
If you need to resize partitions, you can’t click “Copy selected partitions”. As described in the link I posted earlier, you need to drag and drop individual partitions from the source to destination, working left to right. Then after you drop a partition you want to resize into the destination, make your changes to that partition before continuing with any subsequent partitions. Note that when resizing, you can specify the new size either directly or in terms of how much space to leave free after the partition you’re resizing, the latter of which can be useful if you have additional partitions to drag down after the one you’re working with.
Edited 9 February 2019 3:43 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...