Cloned SSD Unbootable

Author
Bill Michel
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hey Folks,

I cloned my internal laptop drive to an external SSD via USB. The program ran to completion, telling me that the
drive had been successfully cloned. When I installed the Drive in the machine, it was unable to boot. "No bootable
drive found", or some such.

I've included the log below.

Cheers.

Bill

Clone ID - B8669B4293FA07F1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dismounting drives

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Clone - 07 February 2019 08:13

Creating volume snapshots
Volume Snapshots Created
C:\ \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1
G:\ \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy2

Source Disk: GPT Disk 1 [15FE6A2D-17BC-4CD9-BEE8-1CED429AD694] - HGST HTS541010A9E680 JA0OA7J0 <931.51 GB>
Geometry: 121601\63\512
Destination Disk: GPT Disk 2 [82B28A69-6127-4328-8B3E-A51B82574D9D] - asmedia ASMT1051 0 <894.25 GB>

Clone Type: Intelligent sector copy
Verify: Y
Delta: Y
SSD Trim: Y

Operation 1 of 5
Copy Partition: 4 - OS (CSmile
NTFS 207.24 GB / 227.31 GB
Destination:
Start Sector: 2,906,112
End Sector: 479,600,526
Partition Type: Primary

Checking file system
Looking for changes
Processing: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1
Clone completed successfully

Operation 2 of 5
Copy Partition: 5 -
NTFS 452.0 MB / 803.0 MB
Destination:
Start Sector: 479,600,640
End Sector: 481,245,183

Checking file system
Looking for changes
Processing: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0

Operation 3 of 5
Copy Partition: 6 - zok (GSmile
NTFS 136.73 GB / 227.09 GB
Destination:
Start Sector: 482,908,160
End Sector: 959,160,319

Checking file system
Looking for changes
Processing: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy2

Operation 4 of 5
Copy Partition: 7 -
NTFS 470.6 MB / 820.0 MB
Destination:
Start Sector: 975,091,712
End Sector: 976,771,071

Checking file system
Performing full copy
SSD target detected Attempting TRIM operation...
SSD TRIM Operation successful.

Operation 5 of 5
Copy Partition: 8 - New Volume
NTFS 172.1 MB / 465.69 GB
Destination:
Start Sector: 976,893,952
End Sector: 1,875,385,007

Checking file system
Loading the NTFS $MFT File
Copying data

UpdateGPTMountedDevices - Success

Clone completed in 00:27:55

I/O Performance: Read 321.1 Mb/s - Write 2.7 Gb/s

Macrium Reflect Home Edition v7.2.3957 - 56-2TG2-SAY1-R6Q8-WE5T-G3PP-62SGB4H

Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (752 reputation)Expert (752 reputation)Expert (752 reputation)Expert (752 reputation)Expert (752 reputation)Expert (752 reputation)Expert (752 reputation)Expert (752 reputation)Expert (752 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
You likely need to run the Fixboot command available from the version on Reflect's bootable rescue media.
If you haven't, remove or disconnect the original source disk before trying to boot. The clone and the original look identical to Windows and can confuse it if both are present until the first successful boot of the clone is done.​ 

Have a look at this article which explains the procedure in detail:  

​​​ https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Fixing+Windows+boot+problems​​

​​
Edited 7 February 2019 6:50 PM by Seekforever
Bill Michel
Bill Michel
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Hey SF,

Thanks... one step at a time here (BTW, the link you incuded didn't work for me; "page not found".

So I made my recovery disk, installed the clone, booted from the recovery disk. Macrium *sees*
my W10 installed on the Clone, I select it, and hit *next*, at which point I'm prompted to choose
a boot partition from the *recovery drive*... no option to choose one on the Clone. :-(

Cheers.

Bill

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)
Seekforever's link somehow ended up with some junk at the end of it, which is why it's broken, but copy/pasting the actual text would have worked.

But the underlying problem seems to be that according to your log, you cloned a GPT disk but didn't clone an EFI partition or an MSR partition over, both of which are required.  The reason Fix Boot Problems isn't working is because it can't find an EFI partition to put the boot files onto.  Your job log says the first partition to be cloned was Partition 4 on the source.  What happened to Partitions 1-3 on the source?  If you deliberately omitted source partitions when setting up your clone job, don't do that -- or at least make sure you understand what you're omitting and why, otherwise you can end up in situations like having an unbootable system. If you post a screenshot of Reflect's "Create a backup" tab that shows your clone source disk's partition layout, I can tell you which partitions you'll need to clone in order to have a bootable result.  Or if you want to do it yourself, if you launch Reflect and look under the Backup Tasks heading in the upper-left corner, you'll see an option that says "Create an image of the partitions necessary to back up and restore Windows".  If you click that, the partitions that are pre-selected in the wizard that appears are the ones you'll need to clone from your source to destination in order to have a bootable result, so note them down, cancel the wizard, and then open the clone wizard instead, making sure to select at least those partitions.

Edited 7 February 2019 8:14 PM by jphughan
Bill Michel
Bill Michel
Hey JP,

That was *it*... the missing partitions... I'm not sure why... I didn't go through and *uncheck them*... maybe they're excluded
by default?

Thanks both of you for helping me get this done so quickly. A refreshing change from so many other "forums"! ;-)

Happy Thursday!

Bill

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search