backup canceled

Author
Frank Esposito
Talented Member
Talented Member (184 reputation)Talented Member (184 reputation)Talented Member (184 reputation)Talented Member (184 reputation)Talented Member (184 reputation)Talented Member (184 reputation)Talented Member (184 reputation)Talented Member (184 reputation)Talented Member (184 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello --  I have a file/folder backup run very day at 7am --- the computer is not used at that time -- but  today my wife need to  check he email and when the "pop-up" cam up that that 
backup was starting,  she canceled it  --

I did not know this so when I when to check  today's log it was not there -- I  started to look for log to see way it did not run  --  She finally told me that canceled  it --- 

Does reflect post/log the response to the pop-up window?  Thanks 
dbminter
dbminter
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
I am guessing not.  And I would think it depends on when she cancelled it.  If she cancelled it in the 15 seconds dialog that pops up before a scheduled backup runs, I would say nothing is logged in that instance because the backup didn't actually start.  If she cancelled it at the part where Reflect has started the actual backup, e.g. the partition drive checks before backup starts, etc. then it would be logged as a cancellation because the backup had actually started.  I don't know this for sure, but it's my guess.

Frank Esposito
Frank Esposito
Talented Member
Talented Member (184 reputation)Talented Member (184 reputation)Talented Member (184 reputation)Talented Member (184 reputation)Talented Member (184 reputation)Talented Member (184 reputation)Talented Member (184 reputation)Talented Member (184 reputation)Talented Member (184 reputation)
dbminter - 6 February 2019 10:05 PM
I am guessing not.  And I would think it depends on when she cancelled it.  If she cancelled it in the 15 seconds dialog that pops up before a scheduled backup runs, I would say nothing is logged in that instance because the backup didn't actually start.  If she cancelled it at the part where Reflect has started the actual backup, e.g. the partition drive checks before backup starts, etc. then it would be logged as a cancellation because the backup had actually started.  I don't know this for sure, but it's my guess.

Hello -- Thanks for the info --  it was the 15 sec pop-up were it was canceled ....   Maybe this is a option that  can  be added to  save the  reply to the pop-up thanks
dbminter
dbminter
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
It's probably more complicated than it seems on the surface.  That "loader" is not an actual backup up but probably the interface that loads an XML job on a specific schedule.  But if it can be easily implemented, it may be worth adding this feature to the Wish List forum on the board.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)
If a backup gets postponed, Reflect is actually still running in the background in the interim; it simply hasn't started the actual job yet. There's a feature request somewhere, which Macrium has confirmed is planned for implementation, to allow a user to cancel a previous postponement, e.g. if you postpone 4 hours and decide an hour later that you want to start the job, you'll be able to do that.  Currently achieving that would require killing ReflectBin.exe manually and then starting the job again.  And just fyi, under Edit Defaults > Advanced > Advanced Backup Options, you can disable those postponement prompts entirely or make them visible only to administrators rather than standard users.

In terms of logging the response to the postponement dialog, in the specific case of the Cancel choice, I think there's a case for treating that as a "cancelled backup", which as of Reflect 7.2 is treated as a job outcome distinct from successful, failed, or completed with warnings. But I'm not sure about logging actual postponements, because the job log isn't even available until after a job completes. By that time, it probably doesn't matter much if it was postponed for a bit upfront, though postponements or other causes of delay such as an already-running job or a system that was shut down would be apparent by the timestamp of the log anyway if it was a scheduled task.  And if the job is still actively pending, then a background task will still be running to indicate that, and I think it could become confusing to start seeing job logs for jobs that haven't completed yet unless that becomes a standard practice.  But maybe a job that is actively under postponement should be somehow indicated in ReflectMonitor, which is where one expects to be able to see current activity?  Right now ReflectMonitor is blank if a job is in a postponement window.

Edited 7 February 2019 1:14 AM by jphughan
Frank Esposito
Frank Esposito
Talented Member
thanks for the info 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search