How can you NOT tell customer that macrium 7 cant recognize USB flash drive?

How can you NOT tell customer that macrium 7 cant recognize USB flash...
Author
beckymartin
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Although I bought macrium for using with atom tablet uefi,

I only realize it when I wanna test it with USB flash drive as they have a smaller volume.

It DEFINITELY affect customers and should have told people before any one paid.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)
Do you mean that Reflect can’t capture an image of a flash drive? Many disk imaging solutions can’t because flash drives use a different sector layout than hard drives and SSDs, and using Reflect Free or the 30-day trial would have revealed that. But if you have the paid version, you could still use a File & Folder Backup job to back up the contents of the flash drive instead of an image. But if that isn’t sufficient, then try contacting Macrium Support. They may issue you a refund if you wish.
beckymartin
beckymartin
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
jphughan - 5 February 2019 3:12 PM
Do you mean that Reflect can’t capture an image of a flash drive? Many disk imaging solutions can’t because flash drives use a different sector layout than hard drives and SSDs, and using Reflect Free or the 30-day trial would have revealed that. But if you have the paid version, you could still use a File & Folder Backup job to back up the contents of the flash drive instead of an image. But if that isn’t sufficient, then try contacting Macrium Support. They may issue you a refund if you wish.

I used another competitor's software for years before,
and I use it to make a image of say some Bootable USB flash as they contain a boot section (GRUB?) and inside it boot multiple ISO for rescue.
So I will think making an image for a rescue USB flash is a normal thing.

And for this, in the 30 days trial I really didn't try on USB flash drive.

as my 1st post say macrium is reliable on atom tablet and the main reason I  buy it.
I am not (and dont think they will) refund.

But this really hurts.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)
If your only concern is capturing an image of a Rescue Media flash drive, then there really isn't anything to worry about because Windows PE-based boot environments don't require anything like the complexity of GRUB.  Macrium has a KB article here showing how to manually prep and partition a flash drive to be usable as Rescue Media, and from there you literally just need to copy your Rescue Media files onto the flash drive, which you can keep handy by having the Rescue Media wizard generate an ISO.  If you're on Windows 7 or newer, Windows has native support for mounting ISOs, so if you ever needed to get at the files, just double-click the ISO to mount it as a virtual disc drive, then copy the files from that drive to your flash drive.  There's your Rescue Media.

Edited 5 February 2019 3:33 PM by jphughan
beckymartin
beckymartin
jphughan - 5 February 2019 3:28 PM
If your only concern is capturing an image of a Rescue Media flash drive, then there really isn't anything to worry about because Windows PE-based boot environments don't require anything like the complexity of GRUB.  Macrium has a KB article here showing how to manually prep and partition a flash drive to be usable as Rescue Media, and from there you literally just need to copy your Rescue Media files onto the flash drive, which you can keep handy by having the Rescue Media wizard generate an ISO.  If you're on Windows 7 or newer, Windows has native support for mounting ISOs, so if you ever needed to get at the files, just double-click the ISO to mount it as a virtual disc drive, then copy the files from that drive to your flash drive.  There's your Rescue Media.

no thanks,

i made rescue USB flash drive myself by say YUMI.

and I wanna keep a "snapshot", a mirror of that state of the USB flash.

just copying the files seems dont help.

Anyway, appreciate your reply.

Thanks
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok.  I'll just point out that in the specific case of Rescue Media, even if you could back that up as a Reflect image, you'd end up with a usability problem, because restoring that image onto a flash drive would require you to have access to a working Reflect installation, which you might not have in a situation where you needed Rescue Media.  But if you DID have a working Reflect installation available, then you could just use that installation's Rescue Media wizard to build a new flash drive directly anyway.  The manual build with an ISO can be performed from any Windows system with no special applications required, except the ISO file itself, but that's easy to back up somewhere.

beckymartin
beckymartin
jphughan - 5 February 2019 3:35 PM
Ok.  I'll just point out that in the specific case of Rescue Media, even if you could back that up as a Reflect image, you'd end up with a usability problem, because restoring that image onto a flash drive would require you to have access to a working Reflect installation, which you might not have in a situation where you needed Rescue Media.  But if you DID have a working Reflect installation available, then you could just use that installation's Rescue Media wizard to build a new flash drive directly anyway.  The manual build with an ISO can be performed from any Windows system with no special applications required, except the ISO file itself, but that's easy to back up somewhere.

no i think NOT talking about making a mirror of the rescue media by macrium.

I am talking about making an image from a USB just say it's a installable win10 USB.

macrium cant make an image for
1. win10 boxset USB key
2. any TF card which contain the rescue file that comes with your notebook.

disappointed, really.

thx

I am ok with the current situation as I use for atom.
but it will be better for customer if they know macrium dunt support mirroring USB flash drive.
and I do think their sales WILL drop heavily for that.

I only lately found this post:
same thing:
https://forum.macrium.com/Topic13218.aspx

OP:
Is there anyway to image backup a usb flash drive with Macrium Reflect?
I can use utilities like imageusb but they image the whole flash drive when I am only using about 35% of the drive.

#1 reply:
It's a shame that Reflect cannot do this operation itself... it's been requested many times. Many other imaging softwares can do this operation.

I, personally, use Image For Windows (it's not FREE, it's my backup imaging solution for Reflect) which does the job very nicely, just the way you describe (active file structure only).
Edited 5 February 2019 3:41 PM by beckymartin
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...