Need help to retrieve my address book after reinstalling W10 - if possible

Author
lbeck
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I recently believed that I needed to reinstall Windows 10.  I went through the caution screens rather quickly and thought that I only would need to reinstall some programs.  After the the reinstall of W10 I find that my address books are gone - kaput.  I do have a Macrium backup and some other forums imply that I may be able to get my address backups from a Windows.old Thunderbird profile file.  I'm not sure.  But I have a screenshot from my most recent backup and the File Explorer files are attached.

At this point in time I'm willing to upgrade to a paid version rather than the free trial if that'll get my address books back

Any comments or advice??

Thanks
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I use Thunderbird and had to help someone do this recently myself.  Your Thunderbird address book is at the top level of your profile folder (the one you've selected in your screenshot) and it's called ABook.mab.  If you create more than one address book, subsequent address book files get named ABook-1.mab and so on.  But if you're just trying to get your Thunderbird setup back exactly as you had it and your backup has a copy of that entire Thunderbird folder you're showing, the easiest way to achieve that is to just delete the newly auto-created Thunderbird folder under your AppData\Roaming folder, then copy your entire Thunderbird folder from your backup to that location.  That restores your entire Thunderbird profile, including settings, views, saved passwords, and of course your address book(s), and it's precisely what I've done on multiple occasions when I've rebuilt my system from scratch or helped other Thunderbird users do so.  The only reason you might NOT want to do this at this point is if you had Thunderbird set to download your email from the server and delete emails from the server at that point and you've already downloaded new mail into a newly created profile, in which case that new mail wouldn't be in the old profile and wouldn't be downloaded into it since it would already have been deleted from the server.  But otherwise, don't just bring back your address book.  Bring your entire profile back and save yourself having to set everything else up from scratch

Edited 4 February 2019 2:51 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search