Rescue media versus Windows boot menu option

Author
dbminter
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Is there a difference between the WinRE version of Reflect that boots from flash drives and optical discs and the WinRE that boots when you choose the Reflect option in the Windows boot menu if you configure it to be available?  I would think not, but I remember back with WinPE, there did seem to be a slight difference between the two.  Without any modification, my flash drive booting would only recognize a lower screen resolution.  The Windows boot menu option had the higher screen resolution available.

Thanks!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)
Unless you have multiple builds from multiple PE/RE versions on your system and might have mixed and matched between the boot menu entry you used and the vast array of Rescue Media builds I know you create, I don't see how that would have been possible.  When you create Rescue Media, Reflect copies the files from "C:\boot\macrium\[appropriate WinPE/RE folder]\media" to the target device, and when you boot from that device, the bootloader extracts the contents of the boot.wim file, located in the sources subfolder, into RAM.  By comparison, when you have a boot menu entry active, if you open Command Prompt and enter "bcdedit /enum", you'll see that the device path for that BCD entry is "C:\boot\macrium\[appropriate WinPE/RE folder]\media\sources\boot.wim", i.e. the exact same file.

UPDATE: Did you perhaps manually replace the EFI bootloader file under \EFI\boot?  That can affect available display resolution options, and it's exactly what the "Legacy EFI support" checkbox in 7.2's Rescue Media Builder does.  If that's enabled, Reflect copies the WinPE 5 bootloader file there, which is apparently more tolerant of systems that not fully compliant implementations of the UEFI spec, whereas WinPE 10's bootloader is more strict.  While the new Rescue Media Builder was still in beta, I suggested this workaround to people on this forum who were affected by the low resolution lock, basically telling them to generate a WinPE 5 build to get that bootloader file and then copying that over to their WinPE 10 Rescue Media.

Edited 3 February 2019 10:30 PM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
Before I did any modifications, there was always a difference in the resolutions between both my flash drive and the Windows boot menu option.  It did this on 2 different Dell XPS PC models of different model numbers.  And even on new flash drives I hadn't created media for yet.  I would then do the replace some files you recommended to other users to get the resolution correct before 7.2's Win RE support/Legacy EFI support option came out.  I no longer had to replace those, what were they, 3 files?  The resolutions were the same between both options without my having to replace files on the flash drive anymore.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)
I don’t have a resolution locked system to test with, but I believe the only file you’d need to replace is the \EFI\Boot\Bootx64.efi file. Or you can generate two Rescue Media builds, one with and without the Legacy EFI option enabled, and see what’s different.

I’m not sure what you mean that you have a resolution difference on flash drives where you haven’t even created Rescue Media yet. But if you’re confident in the behavior discrepancy you saw and that the file sets were the same, my only guess is still down to the bootloader, particularly as that’s what makes the difference with the Legacy EFI option. When you use “external” Rescue Media, your system boots from the bootloader file under \EFI\Boot. When you use the boot menu option, your system boots from the Windows Boot Manager bootloader file on the local disk.
dbminter
dbminter
Guru
I know I had to copy over the files on both of my Dell systems to get the resolutions to the higher level that the Windows boot menu WinPE had available. 

There were two files in question that I had copy over from WinPE 5.0 rescue media to WinPE 10.0 flash drives to get the higher resolution when booting from flash drive:

bootmgr.efi
EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi

Danskeman
Danskeman
Talented Member
Talented Member (169 reputation)Talented Member (169 reputation)Talented Member (169 reputation)Talented Member (169 reputation)Talented Member (169 reputation)Talented Member (169 reputation)Talented Member (169 reputation)Talented Member (169 reputation)Talented Member (169 reputation)
dbminter - 3 February 2019 9:38 PM
Is there a difference between the WinRE version of Reflect that boots from flash drives and optical discs and the WinRE that boots when you choose the Reflect option in the Windows boot menu if you configure it to be available?  I would think not, but I remember back with WinPE, there did seem to be a slight difference between the two.  Without any modification, my flash drive booting would only recognize a lower screen resolution.  The Windows boot menu option had the higher screen resolution available.

Thanks!

There is an issue with some bioses that lead to behaviour of low resolution when booting from usb drives with pe10.

This issue is sort of fixed in V7.2 onwards as you can select an option to ensure high resolution (I say sort of as it is really a workaround - it works fine but you have to deliberately select it).
dbminter
dbminter
Guru
I've wondered if the 7.2 wizard option for the resolution just does the copying and replacing of the files for you that we used to have to do manually.  But, I'm using WinRE now instead of PE, so that may also be why the resolution works now instead.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search