How to quickly find a specific file in a backup image

Author
phenrotay
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dear,
I regularly perform image backups - full on a monthly base, daily incrementals.
Should I need to restore one specific file (let us assume that I know its name, but not when it was accidentally deleted), is there a quick way to locate which backup contains this file ?
Mounting each and every backup to explore it is tedious.
Regards,
Pierre
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)
Not with image backups, because image backups don't even work in terms of files; image backups capture data blocks of partitions, without any inherent understanding or mapping of how they correspond to actual files.  And in the case of Incremental or Differential backups, image backups might only contain a small portion of a file, namely the portions that had changed since the previous backups.  By comparison, File and Folder backups operate at a file level and will always contain entire files, and as a result if you go to the Restore tab in Reflect and select the File and Folder sub-tab, you'll see a search field at the top that offers what you want.  But of course File and Folder backups can't be used for the same use cases as image backups, such as system restores.

UPDATE: Even that search feature is a bit more "strict" than most search engines these days. For example, if I have a file stored in my backups called "Very Important File.pdf", it won't appear in search results if I search "Very" or "Important".  Instead, I'd have to search "Very*" or "*Important*".  Searching just "Very" or "Important" only returns results that have that exact name, which in the case of those searches would require me to have a file that didn't even have a file extension.

Edited 3 February 2019 4:07 PM by jphughan
phenrotay
phenrotay
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Got it, many thanks.
I notice that it is important to specify "All files in view" when looking for deleted files; this is not the default.

Pierre
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)
My guess is that the reason "All files in view" isn't the default is that for some users, that might include a great number of backups, possibly at locations that would be slower to access (file shares), and if the backups themselves contain a large number of files (my client's F&F backups include several hundred thousand), then searching many large backups could take quite a bit of time.  As a result, if the user has at least some idea of when the file of interest was deleted, it might actually be faster to jump backward in time by a few days at a time until they found a backup that contained the file they wanted, then step forward one backup at a time to find the newest one that still had it.  But again, that's just a guess, and of course the situation will vary from case to case.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...