Restore didn't restore everything & didn't restore internet access

Author
phrab
Talented Member
Talented Member (196 reputation)Talented Member (196 reputation)Talented Member (196 reputation)Talented Member (196 reputation)Talented Member (196 reputation)Talented Member (196 reputation)Talented Member (196 reputation)Talented Member (196 reputation)Talented Member (196 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This morning my Windows 10 machine, which is connected to the internet by ethernet, gave the following problems:

1. No internet access today.
Rebooting modem didn't help. Also, every other device in the house which is connected by WiFi still works...it's only the Windows 10 machine. My WinXP machine still works fine (which is how I'm able to post this).

2. Several times in the past week or two, I was unable to access another forum on Windows 10. I remembered that I might have an entry in the hosts file that was blocking this site &, sure enough, there was. But here's a new problem. I cannot delete an entry & save the hosts file. I get a message that the file is being used by another process.

3. When I went to Services & checked the DNS Client service, (everything was greyed out). When I tried to stop it using Task Manager, I also was unable to stop it. It is set to Automatic (Trigger Started) & I can't change that.

4. Everything is moving extremely slow. It took about 15 minutes for a zip file to open. I tried to create a new text file on my desktop & it took at least that amount of time. I tried deleting it later, & although it's in the recycle bin, it still shows up on my desktop.

5. My WinXP machine can still "see" my Win10 machine & I can copy & paste between the two machines from my WinXP machine. Win10 cannot see anything on my home network, however.

6. I used Macrium Reflect to restore my computer to earlier this morning & then to yesterday, & then the day before, but it didn't help.  In fact, after restoring, all my previous restore points are gone.  I noticed that the restore said it was using the quicker "delta" restore.

Should I try restoring without using delta restore.  Basically, at the present time, I can't do anything with my Win10 machine & I'm posting this question from my WinXP machine.  Any suggestions on what I can try. I'm really desperate!
Thank you in advance,

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

morph
morph
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
phrab - 2 February 2019 12:38 AM
This morning my Windows 10 machine, which is connected to the internet by ethernet, gave the following problems:

Rebooting modem didn't help. Also, every other device in the house which is connected by WiFi still works...it's only the Windows 10 machine. My WinXP machine still works fine (which is how I'm able to post this).

2. Several times in the past week or two, I was unable to access another forum on Windows 10. I remembered that I might have an entry in the hosts file that was blocking this site &, sure enough, there was. But here's a new problem. I cannot delete an entry & save the hosts file. I get a message that the file is being used by another process.

3. When I went to Services & checked the DNS Client service, (everything was greyed out). When I tried to stop it using Task Manager, I also was unable to stop it. It is set to Automatic (Trigger Started) & I can't change that.

4. Everything is moving extremely slow. It took about 15 minutes for a zip file to open. I tried to create a new text file on my desktop & it took at least that amount of time. I tried deleting it later, & although it's in the recycle bin, it still shows up on my desktop.

5. My WinXP machine can still "see" my Win10 machine & I can copy & paste between the two machines from my WinXP machine. Win10 cannot see anything on my home network, however.

6. I used Macrium Reflect to restore my computer to earlier this morning & then to yesterday, & then the day before, but it didn't help.  In fact, after restoring, all my previous restore points are gone.  I noticed that the restore said it was using the quicker "delta" restore.

Should I try restoring without using delta restore.  Basically, at the present time, I can't do anything with my Win10 machine & I'm posting this question from my WinXP machine.  Any suggestions on what I can try. I'm really desperate!
Thank you in advance,

Things to try:

Can you confirm your Win10 PC has an IP address assigned? If so, can you ping anything on the network?  If you have no IP address for your ethernet, then clearly you are stuck until that is fixed.  The DHCP client service should do that.
Is there a  chance your AV is blocking internet (general network) access - I used to find FSecure did this to me
The extreme slowness is strange.  Does Task manager (or process explorer) tell you anything is limiting it?  Very slow can also be because a HD is failing, so repeatedly trying to read a sector and that just stops everything dead.
Edited 2 February 2019 2:41 PM by morph
phrab
phrab
Talented Member
Talented Member (196 reputation)Talented Member (196 reputation)Talented Member (196 reputation)Talented Member (196 reputation)Talented Member (196 reputation)Talented Member (196 reputation)Talented Member (196 reputation)Talented Member (196 reputation)Talented Member (196 reputation)
morph - 2 February 2019 2:40 PM
phrab - 2 February 2019 12:38 AM

Thank you in advance,

Things to try:

Can you confirm your Win10 PC has an IP address assigned? If so, can you ping anything on the network?  If you have no IP address for your ethernet, then clearly you are stuck until that is fixed.  The DHCP client service should do that.
Is there a  chance your AV is blocking internet (general network) access - I used to find FSecure did this to me
The extreme slowness is strange.  Does Task manager (or process explorer) tell you anything is limiting it?  Very slow can also be because a HD is failing, so repeatedly trying to read a sector and that just stops everything dead.

Thank you for your reply.  I found the problem & it had nothing to do with Reflect.  I had a corrupt Hosts file that was ~16MB in size (much too large for a Hosts file) & MR merely restored the corrupt file.  I couldn't delete it because the DNS Client service had it locked.  I eventually booted to Safe Mode & replaced it with a better Hosts file.

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)
Fyi if you ever need to mess with files like that, sometimes they can get locked even in Safe Mode.  In that situation, booting from Rescue Media to use Command Prompt or Macrium's basic (but usable) PE Explorer application can be handy for this purpose.

phrab
phrab
Talented Member
Thanks for that information. I didn’t know Macrium Reflect had an Explorer application. I will reboot with MR’s rescue disk & look for it.

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)
phrab - 2 February 2019 10:51 PM
Thanks for that information. I didn’t know Macrium Reflect had an Explorer application. I will reboot with MR’s rescue disk & look for it.

It's in the taskbar area in the lower-left corner.  It's VERY basic in terms of interface and it doesn't support several common keyboard shortcuts (I have a Wish List thread here requesting improvements, but as you can see, the reply was basically that it's WAY down on the priority list), but it can nonetheless be used for basic file operations. Smile

phrab
phrab
Talented Member
Found it. Thanks again! I’m always learning something new here.

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search