Group: Forum Members
This morning my Windows 10 machine, which is connected to the internet by ethernet, gave the following problems:
1. No internet access today.
Rebooting modem didn't help. Also, every other device in the house which is connected by WiFi still works...it's only the Windows 10 machine. My WinXP machine still works fine (which is how I'm able to post this).
2. Several times in the past week or two, I was unable to access another forum on Windows 10. I remembered that I might have an entry in the hosts file that was blocking this site &, sure enough, there was. But here's a new problem. I cannot delete an entry & save the hosts file. I get a message that the file is being used by another process.
3. When I went to Services & checked the DNS Client service, (everything was greyed out). When I tried to stop it using Task Manager, I also was unable to stop it. It is set to Automatic (Trigger Started) & I can't change that.
4. Everything is moving extremely slow. It took about 15 minutes for a zip file to open. I tried to create a new text file on my desktop & it took at least that amount of time. I tried deleting it later, & although it's in the recycle bin, it still shows up on my desktop.
5. My WinXP machine can still "see" my Win10 machine & I can copy & paste between the two machines from my WinXP machine. Win10 cannot see anything on my home network, however.
6. I used Macrium Reflect to restore my computer to earlier this morning & then to yesterday, & then the day before, but it didn't help. In fact, after restoring, all my previous restore points are gone. I noticed that the restore said it was using the quicker "delta" restore.
Should I try restoring without using delta restore. Basically, at the present time, I can't do anything with my Win10 machine & I'm posting this question from my WinXP machine. Any suggestions on what I can try. I'm really desperate!
Thank you in advance,
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3