Windows 10 defender antimalware slows down restore

Author
K E Decilon
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I did a restore of a folder (approx 18 Gb). Restoring to a USB 3.0 drive.
It was so slow, I left it running and went to bed, it was still running this AM. Started looking around, and Task Manager tells me that Windows antimalware is using about double the processor resouces that Macrium is.
Finally managed to start Task Manager as Administrator, and stopped the windows defender service. The Macrium restore immediately jumped up to around 80 (Mbits?)/sec, and finished shortly.

I added Macrium Reflect as a "process" exclusion in Windows Defender, and ran it again as a test. This time it ran at a furious clip, going to finish in 18 minutes, until about 87%. Suddenly it dropped down to around 4-5 Mbits/sec and is going to take 2-3 hours, and Task Manager shows me that Windows defender is back in business, scanning every file again.

Does anyone have any idea why Defender would start back up ? Is there a way to make windows defender leave Macrium Reflect alone?

Thanks for any help.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search