How do I copy files to another drive?

Author
RobinClay
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have had Macrium Reflect for four years, and have never yet used it to back up - it's so complicated I just give up every time.

Help !

I currently run Win10 (spit).

The only stuff I have on my C: drive are programs and e-mail. 800 Gb out of 1.8 Tb
All my genealogy / family history occupy  1.27 Tb  out of 1.8 Tb on Drive G
All my Picture / photographs ./ videos ./ sound recordings occupy  1.27 Tb out of 1.8 Tb on Drive I
All my scans occupy 500 Gb on Drive H and 346 Gb out of 1.8 Tb on Drive J
All my correspondence / house stuff, etc. occupies 965 Gb out of 1.8 Tb on Drive K
I also copy my e-mails across to add-on Drive P: - which is now full ! 

Every now and again, I copy everything from these add on drives to five more add-on drives. just using Windows Explorer.  Each takes about 36 hours.
And then I copy it again to a pair of $Tb drives (so I have two back-ups.)

That is not the way I want to do it. 

I tried Robocopy, but that can't seem to cope with Win10's wretched "security" arrangements. 
[Dammit, it's MY computer !  NO-NE else uses it; I don't have a password.  And YET I find some files / folders are locked !  I wold LIKE to get rid of ALL this damned "security" !]  But that's another story, and so perhaps not relevant here - except... can Macrium Reflect deal with it ?

That's why I bought Macrium Reflect, in the hope that it would do what I want.
What I really want is an arrangement whereby ONLY the files that have changed are copied (twice); and preferably every day..

I had thought to write a routine in Excel VBA, but I don't have the time for that - AND I have paid for Macrium Reflect, which SHOULD do the job - I thought !

Please help ?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
First it's probably important to draw a distinction between "backups", which is what Reflect generates, and "file replication", which is what you're doing now.  They're often conflated, but they're different.  A backup results in a point-in-time archive of your data at a specific time, and future backups will either be created independently of that backup or can be "appended" to that backup to include changes relative to the previous backup -- but the previous backup still exists as a separate entity that can be accessed and restored from if desired.  By comparison, file replication like you're doing simply makes a another copy of your data, and if you run the job again, the updated contents will overwrite the previous copy.

So the first question to ask is whether you in fact want to switch from file replication to backups.  If you don't, then if you provide more information about the specific Robocopy errors you're encountering, chances are they can be resolved fairly easily, and then you can absolutely store and periodically run a Robocopy command that uses the /MIR switch to have the destination "mirror" the source.  In that scenario, Robocopy only copies files that are new or have changed on the source compared to the existing destination copy.

If you do in fact want backups, it sounds like the Incrementals Forever with Synthetic Fulls strategy might be what you want if you only want to copy your whole data set once and then have future jobs only capture changes relative to the last backup.  In that case, the setup is fairly straightforward.  You'd create a new File & Folder backup, specifying the source folder(s) you want to back up.  You can choose to back up everything in a single job, or you may prefer to use different jobs for different source folders, especially if you want to back them up under separate schedules and or have different retention periods for different kinds of data.  But either way, in the next step of the wizard that deals with scheduling and retention, select "Incrementals Forever" from the template dropdown at the top.  That will pre-create a schedule entry for an Incremental job, which you can modify to fit your schedule preferences or even delete if you just want to keep this job defined for future execution on a manual, on-demand basis.  (Note: The first backup will automatically be a Full, so there's no need to schedule that separately.)  From there, the only remaining decision to make is how many Incrementals you want to retain in your backup set.  Then click Finish, and your job will be saved as a definition file.  From that point on, the job will run as scheduled, and/or you can go to the Backup Definition Files tab to see your job listed, from which you can right-click it and select Run Now > Incremental.

But yes, Reflect should be immune to any security-related issues because it runs as the SYSTEM account, which has more privileges than Robocopy running under your regular user account, and if the security issues are actually lock issues caused by files being open, then Reflect would also sidestep those issues because it creates a snapshot of your data before the backup occurs, which Robocopy doesn't do.

Edited 28 January 2019 9:43 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...