XML Validation: Error - .....

Author
Ken429
New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I just cloned a 256GB SSD boot drive to a 500GB SSD using the latest version of Reflect.  I then set up the unused storage on the new drive as partition D:.  All went well as usual.  But...when I backed up the new Windows partition to a USB drive I got the following: 
Imaging Summary
XML Validation:  error -<disk> 1 <partition> 1 is not valid -
I let Reflect set up a new XML file to do the backup.
A little help please.  What am I doing wrong?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)
If you’re using the same XML file you had before the clone, you need to edit it or recreate it to start backing up from the new disk you’re using. Reflect identifies disks and partitions by unique identifiers, so it will still be looking for the original disk. You might also want to expand that XML file to start backing up your new partition anyway, which doesn’t happen automatically.
Edited 26 January 2019 3:58 PM by jphughan
Ken429
Ken429
New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)
Yes, I've seen those comments on several other threads.  However, I did not use and old XML file.  I let Reflect generate a new one.  In fact, I never reuse an XML file unless I'm letting Reflect do a scheduled backup.  Any other ideas?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)
So just to confirm, you’re starting from the “Create a backup” tab, selecting your new disk, clicking “Image this disk” under that, and stepping through the wizard, and at the end if you allow the job to run immediately, you see an XML validation error right away? This is reproducible behavior?
Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (736 reputation)Expert (736 reputation)Expert (736 reputation)Expert (736 reputation)Expert (736 reputation)Expert (736 reputation)Expert (736 reputation)Expert (736 reputation)Expert (736 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Yes it is. I've seen it too and it seems to be associated with what I believe to be a very small partition. Perhaps, an "adjustment" partition to get the sector boundaries correct in my case. I think I fixed it once but I've had it pop up again recently for some reason when working with newly restored disks. Haven't looked into it, in fact, I was hoping the answer would be revealed in this thread.

Ken429
Ken429
jphughan,

Yes it is repeatable for me too.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Ken429 - 26 January 2019 9:40 PM
jphughan,

Yes it is repeatable for me too.

Thanks for posting.  

Could you open a support ticket so we can request more information to see what might be going on here. Thanks

https://www.macrium.com/support

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Mrwizard
Mrwizard
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
If you find the solution, perhaps you could post it on this thread for the rest of us having this issue.  Thanks
Ken429
Ken429
Mrwizard - 29 January 2019 11:29 AM
If you find the solution, perhaps you could post it on this thread for the rest of us having this issue.  Thanks

I don't know if I found THE solution but...I deleted all the Log and XLM files on the system then did another backup.  Error message disappeared!  I know there are several other threads that indicated using an old XLM file could cause problems (I definitely did not use an old file to do the backups that had the error message) but it appears that just having the old files in the Reflect folders may cause the error message?!  
Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (736 reputation)Expert (736 reputation)Expert (736 reputation)Expert (736 reputation)Expert (736 reputation)Expert (736 reputation)Expert (736 reputation)Expert (736 reputation)Expert (736 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Great. Right track anyway but why it should happen is strange.
In my case the problem was on 2 machines I was using the free version on and had replaced the drives in the machines and restored them with existing images. I believe I did some partition resizing.
I setup one of the machines again and didn't find anything in the logs but it shows up in Image Summary right away as an XML validation error. I had said I thought it was relating to a small unused section of disk possibly to get the partitions aligned but that didn't seem to be the case on this machine - there were no such areas showing.
I started a new full image and got the error message of XML validation error. Cancelled the image.
Went to XML file location and deleted all existing XML files except kept a MyBackup(1).xml which I renamed and changed xml to xmk.
Ran the full, new image again and it was good!!!!!
Went back to the XML files and changed the renamed file back to its original name with the "(1)" and extension.
Ran a full, new again and it was still good!!!
Renamed the MyBackup(1).xml to just MyBackup.xml and deleted last xml file so this was the only present at start of image.
Ran a full, new again and it got the XML Validation error.
Deleted the MyBackup files and it is good!!!
So the problem is traceable to an old Backup xml definition file being present but it seems to have to be MyBackup.xml  - at least in my case.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...