No Backup Option on vBoot main intarface

Author
marceloweb
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
I install a copy of Macrium Reflect Workstation and when a try to use viBoot, the backup option is absent.
Can someone Help me?
All other funcions work, only the backup button not show (See image above)
Thanks in advance
System Information:
Windows 10 1809 (10.0.17763 Compilation 17763)
Hyper-v Activated
Macrium Reflect Workstation 7.2.3957 (x64)

Chris
Chris
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (166 reputation)Macrium Representative (166 reputation)Macrium Representative (166 reputation)Macrium Representative (166 reputation)Macrium Representative (166 reputation)Macrium Representative (166 reputation)Macrium Representative (166 reputation)Macrium Representative (166 reputation)Macrium Representative (166 reputation)
Group: Moderators
marceloweb - 24 January 2019 5:56 PM
Hi,
I install a copy of Macrium Reflect Workstation and when a try to use viBoot, the backup option is absent.
Can someone Help me?
Thanks in advance
System Information:
Hyper-v Activated

Hi @marceloweb

Thanks for posting, the backup option was removed from the viBoot interface due to a potential issue with branching of backup sets. We are in the process of reinstating this function. I cannot provide an ETA for delivery at this time.

Our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards.
​​​​​​​​​

--
Chris Bamford
Macrium Reflect Development & Support
KnowledgeBase: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/
YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Macrium

Next Webinar

marceloweb
marceloweb
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Chris - 25 January 2019 8:23 AM
marceloweb - 24 January 2019 5:56 PM
Hi,
Can someone Help me?
Thanks in advance
System Information:
Hyper-v Activated

Hi @marceloweb

Thanks for posting, the backup option was removed from the viBoot interface due to a potential issue with branching of backup sets. We are in the process of reinstating this function. I cannot provide an ETA for delivery at this time.

Our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards.

Thank's Chris Bamford.
marceloweb
marceloweb
Can I make another question?
If I use Macrium to make a backup of the System running on the Hyper-V, the disc structure (MBR, GPT, UEFI) change? Can I use this to update the system anda programs of my backups?
Thanks in advance
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)
marceloweb - 25 January 2019 3:34 PM
If I use Macrium to make a backup of the System running on the Hyper-V, the disc structure (MBR, GPT, UEFI) change? Can I use this to update the system anda programs of my backups?
Thanks in advance

Are you asking about running Reflect from inside the VM itself?  If you do that, the disk structure doesn't change compared to the original system that the viBoot VM was created from, but I'm not sure what you mean by asking about "updating the system and programs of your backups".  However, viBoot isn't really meant to be used as a long-term solution where you should need to be running Reflect from inside the VM, and in fact if you use a viBoot VM long-term and also keep using the original system that the VM was created from, that would probably create software licensing problems for both Windows and Reflect.  viBoot is primarily meant for verifying that an image backup is bootable and also as a disaster mitigation solution because it gives you a way to start a system up from a Reflect backup even if the original system is dead.  In the latter scenario, the idea is that if your original system goes down, you can use viBoot to start it up as a VM somewhere else until you fix or replace the original system.  Then you could use Reflect running from the host system (not from inside the VM) to capture a new backup that would include any changes that occurred while the VM was running, and then you restore that backup onto the original system (or its replacement) when that system is able to be used again.

Edited 25 January 2019 6:44 PM by jphughan
marceloweb
marceloweb
jphughan - 25 January 2019 6:39 PM
marceloweb - 25 January 2019 3:34 PM
Thanks in advance

Are you asking about running Reflect from inside the VM itself?  If you do that, the disk structure doesn't change compared to the original system that the viBoot VM was created from, but I'm not sure what you mean by asking about "updating the system and programs of your backups".

Thanks jphughan
I Want to start the VM update th operational system (Windows 10)  and programs and then make a backup  using Macrium.
I Understood your explanation.I was making a wrong use of the software.
Thank you
Edited 25 January 2019 6:56 PM by marceloweb
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)
marceloweb - 25 January 2019 6:46 PM

Thanks jphughan
I Want to start the VM update th operational system (Windows 10)  and programs and then make a backup  using Macrium.
Thank you

Hmm, ok.  Well that's not the main "advertised" use, but testing an operation like that in a VM created from your system before trying it on your actual system is certainly something viBoot can be used to do.  So I would say go ahead and try it.

marceloweb
marceloweb
jphughan - 25 January 2019 7:40 PM
marceloweb - 25 January 2019 6:46 PM

Thanks jphughan
Thank you

Hmm, ok.  Well that's not the main "advertised" use, but testing an operation like that in a VM created from your system before trying it on your actual system is certainly something viBoot can be used to do.  So I would say go ahead and try it.

Thanks again jphughan.
I make a few trys and some macrium backuks wont boot.
I think in your explanation and come back to Vmware, for a while.
Edited 25 January 2019 7:53 PM by marceloweb
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Without knowing more it's tough to troubleshoot, but make sure your backups include all of the necessary partitions to boot Windows.  Some people back up only their C drive, which on many systems isn't enough on its own to be bootable in a VM, and if you ever tried to restore that backup onto an empty hard drive in your real system, it wouldn't be bootable either.  In Reflect under the Backup Tasks column along the left edge, there's an option that says something like, "Create an image of the partitions required to back up and restore Windows".  Click that and make a note of which partitions are pre-selected in the wizard that appears.  Any backups you make with the intent of being able to viBoot or restore your system should include at least all of those partitions.

The other possibility is that if your image is Windows 7 and is booting in UEFI mode (from a GPT disk), you won't be able to viBoot those images because of a Hyper-V limitation.  Windows 7 is typically set up to boot in Legacy BIOS mode (MBR disk) because even in UEFI mode it has some Legacy BIOS dependencies, and Hyper-V's Gen 2 VMs that support UEFI don't allow any of those dependencies.  So to boot Windows 7 on viBoot/Hyper-V, it needs to be from an MBR disk that uses a Gen 1 VM to boot in Legacy BIOS mode.  viBoot/Hyper-V only support booting Windows 8 and newer in UEFI mode (and some other non-Windows OSes).

marceloweb
marceloweb
jphughan - 25 January 2019 7:58 PM
Without knowing more it's tough to troubleshoot, but make sure your backups include all of the necessary partitions to boot Windows.  Some people back up only their C drive, which on many systems isn't enough on its own to be bootable in a VM, and if you ever tried to restore that backup onto an empty hard drive in your real system, it wouldn't be bootable either.  In Reflect under the Backup Tasks column along the left edge, there's an option that says something like, "Create an image of the partitions required to back up and restore Windows".  Click that and make a note of which partitions are pre-selected in the wizard that appears.  Any backups you make with the intent of being able to viBoot or restore your system should include at least all of those partitions.

The other possibility is that if your image is Windows 7 and is booting in UEFI mode (from a GPT disk), you won't be able to viBoot those images because of a Hyper-V limitation.  Windows 7 is typically set up to boot in Legacy BIOS mode (MBR disk) because even in UEFI mode it has some Legacy BIOS dependencies, and Hyper-V's Gen 2 VMs that support UEFI don't allow any of those dependencies.  So to boot Windows 7 on viBoot/Hyper-V, it needs to be from an MBR disk that uses a Gen 1 VM to boot in Legacy BIOS mode.  viBoot/Hyper-V only support booting Windows 8 and newer in UEFI mode (and some other non-Windows OSes).

Hi again
I always use the option "Create an image of the partitions required to back up and restore Windows".
All my backups are of Windows 10 Systems.
My use is:
I have a little company of IT Services and I have a backup of Various Systems:
Windows 10 UEFI
Windows 10 MBR
Windows 10 32 Bit
Windows 10 64 Bit UEFI for photographers
Windows 10 64 Bit UEFI for Engineers
Each one with programs and the OS updated.  
When the problem of a PC/Notebook of the customer is not possible to resolve or when I sell a new machine, I use one of them.
My idea was update this backups without need to restore them to a physical machine. I do this today using VMware. I use macrium inside  VM to backup the updated System. But if was possible to do this with viBoot, the process was much more simple.
Sorry my bad English and thank you for your efforts to help me.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search