Very high writes to C drive

Author
taotoo
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I noticed recently that my C drive was having about 70gb written to it each day (or about 6gb per hour, 1gb every 10 minutes, or 1.5mb each second). 

While trying to troubleshoot it I disabled CBT, Image Guardian, the startup UI Watcher entry, and the Macrium Service with no effect. But completely uninstalling Reflect has apparently solved the problem, and the writes have gone back to normal.

This is with the second most recent version of Reflect Server (3954?). I briefly tried upgrading to the current version and there was no change. If I had to guess I'd say this started happening in ~May 2018 at the earliest.

JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)
Group: Moderators
taotoo - 24 January 2019 5:03 PM
I noticed recently that my C drive was having about 70gb written to it each day (or about 6gb per hour, 1gb every 10 minutes, or 1.5mb each second). 

While trying to troubleshoot it I disabled CBT, Image Guardian, the startup UI Watcher entry, and the Macrium Service with no effect. But completely uninstalling Reflect has apparently solved the problem, and the writes have gone back to normal.

This is with the second most recent version of Reflect Server (3954?). I briefly tried upgrading to the current version and there was no change. If I had to guess I'd say this started happening in ~May 2018 at the earliest.

Hi Taotoo,

Thank you for your post.

There is no obvious reason why any of the Reflect components would cause background disk activity, except when performing a backup, etc.

​​Here is a link to a website that shows how to use Resource Monitor​ to determine exactly which processes are causing disk activity.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/the-enterprise-cloud/use-resource-monitor-to-monitor-storage-performance/​​
​​​
Please can you try to locate the file that is the target of the unexpected activity?

​​Kind Regards,
Macrium Support​​​​​

Kind regards,

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

taotoo
taotoo
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
JamieW - 25 January 2019 10:34 AM
taotoo - 24 January 2019 5:03 PM

Hi Taotoo,

Thank you for your post.

There is no obvious reason why any of the Reflect components would cause background disk activity, except when performing a backup, etc.

Here is a link to a website that shows how to use Resource Monitor to determine exactly which processes are causing disk activity.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/the-enterprise-cloud/use-resource-monitor-to-monitor-storage-performance/

Please can you try to locate the file that is the target of the unexpected activity?

Kind Regards,
Macrium Support

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I don't think Resource Monitor was giving enough information - it probably either just showed "System" as being the culprit or perhaps wasn't registering the writes at all (I don't remember now). But Process Hacker did show something.

If the disk writes in the first attachment added up to, say, 100kb per second, then the "NT Kernel & System" value in the second image would increase by about 1mb per second. So there was roughly a 10x disparity between the two. The values in the first attachment looked reasonable - nothing writing a whole lot - but the value in the second attachment was consistently reaching about 6gb for every hour the computer was turned on.

When I uninstalled Reflect v7, the disk writes in the first attachment didn't appear to change in any way. However the value in the second attachment now roughly correlated with the first attachment, i.e. if the first attachment totaled 100kb per second, the second attachment value would increase at roughly 100kb per second.

If you know of any way I might narrow it down further then I'll gladly try.

Attachments
v6a.JPG (8 views, 149.00 KB)
v6b.JPG (7 views, 148.00 KB)
taotoo
taotoo
Further to this:

Reflect V6 = no issue
Reflect V7 = no issue
Reflect V7 + Image Guardian = no issue

Reflect V7 + Image Guardian + CBT = issue occurs.

Just having the CBT driver installed is enough for the problem to be there (it doesn't need to be enabled in Reflect's settings).

It feels like every write is being magnified x10.
Edited 2 February 2019 4:01 PM by taotoo
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)
Group: Moderators
taotoo - 2 February 2019 3:59 PM
Further to this:

Reflect V6 = no issue
Reflect V7 = no issue

Just having the CBT driver installed is enough for the problem to be there (it doesn't need to be enabled in Reflect's settings).

Hi taotoo,

Please can you open a support ticket​​​​ at http://www.macrium.com/support so that we can collect some more information.

Kind Regards,
Macrium Support​​​

Kind regards,

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

taotoo
taotoo
JamieW - 4 February 2019 8:57 AM
taotoo - 2 February 2019 3:59 PM
Further to this:

Reflect V6 = no issue
Reflect V7 = no issue

Hi taotoo,

Please can you open a support ticket at http://www.macrium.com/support so that we can collect some more information.

Kind Regards,
Macrium Support

Thanks Jamie, will do.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search