Creating Volume Snapshot fails about 50% of time. When it does, "Retrying without VSS Writers"...

Author
David Markun
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have been buying, and running daily, Macrium Reflect Home Edition for several years now.   I have never had to do a full image restore, but have had good results over the years mounting backup images to pull back old versions of files when I needed them.  I run automatic daily incrementals,  doing a Full every few months on my not very active Windows 10 system.

Upgraded to v7 last October.  Upgraded to 7.2.3957 a few days ago when this chronic problem got worse.  Latest version did not help

The chronic problem used to occur rarely.  Every few weeks I would see my daily backup  show a log like the one below.  When "Creating Volume Shadow failed - 0x80000ffff - Catastrophic failure - Retrying without VSS Writers" happens, then if I patiently wait past the very slow volume analysis process, then subsequent predicted backup times would be in the hundreds or thousands of hours.  (When it works right, backup takes about 4-7 minutes for the daily intermittent).   I would cancel the job.  When it would rerun the next day, it would usually work.

Lately, the frequency of these failures has increased to greater than 50% of the time.   I am now looking for either a fix for Macrium or to buy another product which will work.   Any ideas?      

I attempted to find a way to buy additional support for Macrium (I am past my 12 months free Essentials support) but was unable yet to learn how to buy an extention of Essentials support. 

Thinking of what might be making Volume Snapshot fail, it occurs to me there might be a possible conflict with  Google Drive and Sync.  I run Macrium when Google Drive and Sync is finished doing its bootup work.   

So that's my problem statement.  Log from the most recent failure is below.  I canceled the backup because I didn't have 234 hours to let a full backup run.  (I decided to run it Full, not Incremental, so I would have a set that was entirely written by the new version of the software that I installed a few days ago).

I'd appreciate any help!
Best regards,
David

Log follows:
...................................................................................................................................................
Image ID - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Imaging Summary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backup Definition File: C:\Users\markun\Documents\Reflect\Reflect Backup C,D,Recovery.xml
Auto Verify: Y
Maximum File Size: Automatic
Compression: High
Password: Y
AES Encryption: High 256 Bit
Intelligent Copy: Y
Power Saving: N
Email On Success: N
Email On Warning: N
Email On Failure: N
Total Selected: 332.24 GB
Comment: Backup C, D, and Recovery

Retention Rules
Rules will be applied to all matching backup sets in the destination folder

Full: Retain 25 full images
Linked incremental and differential images will also be deleted

Backup Sets: 5 sets found
Nothing to delete

Incremental: Retain 300 incremental images
Create a Synthetic Full backup if possible.

Incremental Backups: 87 found

Destination:
Backup Type: Full
File Name: f:\MacriumReflect20161223\3545BC937E2534BA-00-00.mrimg

Operation 1 of 4
Hard Disk: 1
Drive Letter: N/A
File System: 16-bit FAT
Label: DellUtility
Size: 39.1 MB
Free: 39.0 MB
Used: 116 KB

Operation 2 of 4
File System: NTFS
Label: RECOVERY
Size: 752.0 MB
Free: 295.7 MB
Used: 456.3 MB

Operation 3 of 4
Drive Letter: C
CBT: Y
Label: LESSER-C
Size: 380.66 GB
Free: 186.20 GB
Used: 194.46 GB

Operation 4 of 4
Drive Letter: D
Label: LESSER-D
Size: 317.20 GB
Free: 179.87 GB
Used: 137.33 GB

Starting Image - Wednesday, January 23, 2019 16:54:49
Initializing
Write Method: Using File System Cache
Destination Drive: WDUSB3TB-A (fSmile - Free Space 207.40 GB
Image Guardian: Protected
Free space threshold: Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 200.00 GB

Creating Volume Snapshot - Please Wait

Failed: Failed - 0x8000ffff - Catastrophic failure - Retrying without VSS Writers
Success

Volume Snapshots Created
Analyzing file system on volume
Analyzing file system on volume C:
Analyzing file system on volume D:

Saving Partition - DellUtility
Reading File System Bitmap
Saving Partition

Saving Partition - RECOVERY
Saving Partition

Saving Partition - LESSER-C (CSmile
Saving Partition

Gathering Windows Events - Please Wait

I/O Performance: Read 9.9 Mb/s - Write 235.4 Mb/s

Operation Cancelled

Macrium Reflect Home Edition v7.2.3957 - 

Edited 24 January 2019 12:14 AM by David Markun
Chris
Chris
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (178 reputation)Macrium Representative (178 reputation)Macrium Representative (178 reputation)Macrium Representative (178 reputation)Macrium Representative (178 reputation)Macrium Representative (178 reputation)Macrium Representative (178 reputation)Macrium Representative (178 reputation)Macrium Representative (178 reputation)
Group: Moderators
David Markun - 24 January 2019 12:05 AM
I have been buying, and running daily, Macrium Reflect Home Edition for several years now.   I have never had to do a full image restore, but have had good results over the years mounting backup images to pull back old versions of files when I needed them.  I run automatic daily incrementals,  doing a Full every few months on my not very active Windows 10 system.

Upgraded to v7 last October.  Upgraded to 7.2.3957 a few days ago when this chronic problem got worse.  Latest version did not help

The chronic problem used to occur rarely.  Every few weeks I would see my daily backup  show a log like the one below.  When "Creating Volume Shadow failed - 0x80000ffff - Catastrophic failure - Retrying without VSS Writers" happens, then if I patiently wait past the very slow volume analysis process, then subsequent predicted backup times would be in the hundreds or thousands of hours.  (When it works right, backup takes about 4-7 minutes for the daily intermittent).   I would cancel the job.  When it would rerun the next day, it would usually work.

Lately, the frequency of these failures has increased to greater than 50% of the time.   I am now looking for either a fix for Macrium or to buy another product which will work.   Any ideas?      

I attempted to find a way to buy additional support for Macrium (I am past my 12 months free Essentials support) but was unable yet to learn how to buy an extention of Essentials support. 

Thinking of what might be making Volume Snapshot fail, it occurs to me there might be a possible conflict with  Google Drive and Sync.  I run Macrium when Google Drive and Sync is finished doing its bootup work.   

So that's my problem statement.  Log from the most recent failure is below.  I canceled the backup because I didn't have 234 hours to let a full backup run.  (I decided to run it Full, not Incremental, so I would have a set that was entirely written by the new version of the software that I installed a few days ago).

I'd appreciate any help!
Best regards,
David

Log follows:
...................................................................................................................................................

Imaging Summary

Backup Definition File: C:\Users\markun\Documents\Reflect\Reflect Backup C,D,Recovery.xml

Retention Rules

Nothing to delete

Destination:

Operation 1 of 4

Operation 2 of 4

Operation 3 of 4

Operation 4 of 4

Initializing
Free space threshold: Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 200.00 GB

Failed: Failed - 0x8000ffff - Catastrophic failure - Retrying without VSS Writers
Success

Volume Snapshots Created

Saving Partition

Saving Partition

Saving Partition

Operation Cancelled

Hi @David Markun

Thanks for posting and sorry you are having problems creating backups.

​The error you have seen in the log shows there an is an issue with the VSS components on your computer. Please ensure the following services are running and set to start automatically:
- COM+ Event System​

The following services should have Startup type set to run Manually or Automatic:
- Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider​​​​​​​
- Volume Shadow Copy​

The Service status of the above 2 services can be either Stop​ped or Started, just so long as they are not disabled.​​

If the backups continue to fail, please use the menu option Other Tasks > Fix VSS Problems. This will reregister the VSS components, please try a backup again once done.

​Please send an email to licensing at macrium dot com​ for all licensing queries.

Kind regards.​​

--
Chris Bamford
Macrium Reflect Development & Support
KnowledgeBase: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/
YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Macrium

Next Webinar

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)
According to Macrium's Support page here, the Home version of Reflect does not offer support renewal beyond the 12-month period included with the license purchase.  Home licenses also do not get free upgrades to major releases that occur within the support period.  Both of those perks are available only with the business-oriented licenses.  Macrium has in the past offered free major version upgrades to Home users who purchased the supplanted version within a certain period before the new version's release, though.

Edited 24 January 2019 9:58 AM by jphughan
David Markun
David Markun
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Chris - 24 January 2019 9:25 AM

I'd appreciate any help!
Best regards,
David

Log follows:

Imaging Summary

Retention Rules

Nothing to delete

Destination:

Operation 1 of 4

Operation 2 of 4

Operation 3 of 4

Operation 4 of 4

Initializing

Success

Volume Snapshots Created

Saving Partition

Saving Partition

Saving Partition

Operation Cancelled

Hi @David Markun

The error you have seen in the log shows there an is an issue with the VSS components on your computer. Please ensure the following services are running and set to start automatically:
- COM+ Event System

The following services should have Startup type set to run Manually or Automatic:
- Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider
- Volume Shadow Copy

The Service status of the above 2 services can be either Stopped or Started, just so long as they are not disabled.

If the backups continue to fail, please use the menu option Other Tasks > Fix VSS Problems. This will reregister the VSS components, please try a backup again once done.

Please send an email to licensing at macrium dot com for all licensing queries.

Kind regards.

Thanks, Chris.  All the services you mentioned were running, and were set with Start status as you described.  I ran Fix VSS Problems (which I think I had run without success in the past) and my next backup failed in the now-usual way.  I followed up at the link which Fix VSS Problems provides for persistent problems, which was very educational.  I have now learned more about VSS by playing with the vssadmin tool described at that link, and by reading my past Macrium Reflect-recorded VSS logs that showed what the Volume Snapshot process looks like when it works, and what it looks like when it fails.  My failures have lately all come from IIS Writer, except for one which saw failures from both IIS Writer and  Registry Writer when I ran a backup just after running Fix VSS Problems.  

So, I now know have a potential way to find out in advance if my Macrium backup is going to work -- if vssadmin list writers shows errors, it's going to fail.   I may find ways to pre-clear those failures by stopping and restarting the related Services (e.g. AppHostSvc for IIS Writer). 
What I wish Macrium Reflect would do is fail the backup automatically if the Volume Snapshot process fails.  When Macrium instead slogs ahead after the failures, the backup runs impossibly slowly (predicted completion times in hundreds of hours) and even after I cancel the backup (which takes on the order of several minutes to execute), the machine runs unusably slowly during, and after cancelling, the backup with failed VSS writers.   Rebooting under those conditions makes the machine run at normal speed again. 

Question:  Is there some configuration thing I could do to get Macrium to fail the backup if it cannot successfully create the Volume Snapshot?  That would  make it convenient for me to go back to using automatic backups again.

Thanks for your help, which I am optimistic will lead to a solution as I get more experience with what might be causing my IIS-Writer failures.  I now have running a full image backup that started OK and is predicting a normal run length (around 90 minutes), after rebooting after running Fix VSS Problems.  

Best regards,
David
David Markun
David Markun
jphughan - 24 January 2019 9:58 AM
According to Macrium's Support page here, the Home version of Reflect does not offer support renewal beyond the 12-month period included with the license purchase.  Home licenses also do not get free upgrades to major releases that occur within the support period.  Both of those perks are available only with the business-oriented licenses.  Macrium has in the past offered free major version upgrades to Home users who purchased the supplanted version within a certain period before the new version's release, though.

Thanks, jphughan.  I guess the short answer is that to extend my support I could buy another Home Edition license.  I will take that up with the licensing people if the forum help, which is very responsive so far, proves not enough.
Chris
Chris
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (178 reputation)Macrium Representative (178 reputation)Macrium Representative (178 reputation)Macrium Representative (178 reputation)Macrium Representative (178 reputation)Macrium Representative (178 reputation)Macrium Representative (178 reputation)Macrium Representative (178 reputation)Macrium Representative (178 reputation)
Group: Moderators
David Markun - 24 January 2019 9:35 PM
Chris - 24 January 2019 9:25 AM

I'd appreciate any help!
Best regards,
David

Log follows:

Imaging Summary

Retention Rules

Nothing to delete

Destination:

Operation 1 of 4

Operation 2 of 4

Operation 3 of 4

Operation 4 of 4

Initializing

Success

Volume Snapshots Created

Saving Partition

Saving Partition

Saving Partition

Operation Cancelled

Hi @David Markun

The error you have seen in the log shows there an is an issue with the VSS components on your computer. Please ensure the following services are running and set to start automatically:
- COM+ Event System

- Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider
- Volume Shadow Copy

The Service status of the above 2 services can be either Stopped or Started, just so long as they are not disabled.

Please send an email to licensing at macrium dot com for all licensing queries.

Kind regards.

Thanks, Chris.  ...

Question:  Is there some configuration thing I could do to get Macrium to fail the backup if it cannot successfully create the Volume Snapshot?  That would  make it convenient for me to go back to using automatic backups again.

Best regards,
David

​Hi @David Markun

Under Macrium Reflect Defaults > Advanced > VSS Options there is an option 'Automatically retry without VSS writers on failure'. Uncheck this option and Click OK. Your next backup should fail as soon as a VSS error causes the backup to fail.

Please see the following KB link for further info on the defaults, including Advanced settings:
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/Macrium+Reflect+default+settings​​​

Kind regards.
​​​​​

--
Chris Bamford
Macrium Reflect Development & Support
KnowledgeBase: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/
YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Macrium

Next Webinar

David Markun
David Markun
Thanks, Chris.  What I am finding is that the VSS Writer errors I'm getting are timeouts, and that the problem arises when my computer is bogged down with too much IO going on. I can poll the VSS writers with "Vssadmin list writers" before running a backup and they all report they're happy, but when I then start the backup they time out, as shown in VSS log.   I haven't been able to identify what the source of too much IO is; it tends to get into that state after a few days of being used to do browser based activity and local productivity apps.  I normally use Sleep overnight, not shut down, to preserve my working context. So far,   Macrium Reflect backups will always run successfully after I do a  Restart (and then let Google Backup and Sync reach a quiescent state).  Thanks for identifying the option that will let the backup abort when VSS Shadow Copy fails, that makes life much more convenient as I gradually work toward identifying what is slowing things down.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search