During Image Backup, How to Force Large Partition to be Restored as a Smaller Partition...

During Image Backup, How to Force Large Partition to be Restored as a...
Author
JerryClone
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Macrium  Reflect 7.2.3957
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
System Drive: 500GB SATA HDD

BACKGROUND
I resized my primary boot partition from 250GB to 500GB. But now, I want to create an image of that System Drive that will automatically resize to a 250GB partition during restore (to another 500GB drive).

QUESTION
Is that possible?
Or, is it possible to split the 500GB partition into two parts when restoring the image?
Edited 23 January 2019 4:32 PM by JerryClone
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)
You can't split a single source partition into multiple destination partitions during a restore.  You also can't have Reflect back up a partition in a way that it will automatically be resized for a restore, but you can certainly achieve that outcome with some manual work.  By default, Reflect restores partitions such that the restored size matches their original size.  The only exception is that if you're restoring to a disk that's smaller than the original source, Reflect will automatically attempt to shrink the last partition to fit within the actual capacity available if necessary -- but if the last partition can't be shrunk enough to make everything fit (or the size of preceding partitions means the last partition can't be fit on the target disk at all), you'll see an error that it can't be "staged" onto the destination for a restore operation.  But that's just the default, automatic behavior.  You will always have the option of customizing the sizes of restored partitions either upward or downward, the latter of course limited by the amount of space actually used within the partition.  This KB article, specifically Steps 4 and 5, shows that process.  The article is called "Cloning a disk", but an image restore scenario works the same way except the "Cloned Partition Properties" link is called "Restored Partition Properties".  The trick is that instead of choosing "Copy selected partitions" (or just clicking Next on the first step of the wizard), you have to drag and drop each individual partition from the source to destination, and after dragging and dropping a partition you want to resize, you have to resize it BEFORE you continue dragging down additional partitions.

(Side note: There's no such thing as Windows 7 SP2.)

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
JerryClone - 23 January 2019 4:48 AM
Macrium  Reflect 7.2.3957
Windows 7 Ultimate SP2
System Drive: 500GB SATA HDD

BACKGROUND
I resized my primary boot partition from 250GB to 500GB. But now, I want to create an image of that System Drive that will automatically resize to a 250GB partition during restore (to another 500GB drive).

QUESTION
Is that possible?
Or, is it possible to split the 500GB partition into two parts when restoring the image?

Thanks for posting.  

Please see this KB article on auto restoring using the PE/RE rescue media. 

You could stage the restore to shrink the partition, save the restore xml file, then automatically boot into PE/RE to perform the restore. Make sure you set the 'read only' flag in the dialog to prevent the restore xml file from being deleted.

This could happen automatically every time PE starts,  alternatively, If you saved the XML file to a flash drive, then inserting the flash drive prior booting would cause the restore to start when PE/RE boots.

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/Automatic+System+Restore

If you don't wish to boot into the rescue media then I'm afraid this isn't possible.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

JerryClone
JerryClone
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Thanks for the replies. That gives me enough information to move forward with it. 
(FYI: Fixed the SP2 typo.)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...