Question regarding WinRE and Windows 7

Author
adrian5683
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I'm running Windows 7 Home Edition x64 in EFI boot with NVMe and USB 3.0 support. Does the Windows Recovery Environment created after installing my copy of Windows have the same functionality as well, meaning I can just use the WinRE option when creating a Rescue Media, or should I use WinPE 10 if want to keep NVMe and USB 3.0 support?

Thanks.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Short version: You may want to consider using WinPE 10 even if your WinRE build works.

Long version:
It might depend on your system and driver combination, because when I picked apart my own WinRE build to find out why it was so much larger than an equivalent WinPE build, I noticed that my Synaptics touchpad drivers were in there, and they come with 200MB worth of video demonstrating various gestures. But several other drivers from my system weren’t present. Your best bet would be to try a WinRE build and see if it can detect your NVMe SSD and if peripherals plugged into your USB 3.0 ports are usable. If so, you’re set. If not, I’d recommend using WinPE 10 instead. With NVMe specifically, support on Win7 can be achieved either through a vendor driver or a Microsoft hotfix, so that might affect things too.

The other potential issue in your case is that WinPE/RE 3.1 does not natively support EFI booting. That can be remedied on regular Windows 7 install media (for example) by copying the EFI bootloader file to the correct location and naming it properly, but I don’t know if Rescue Media Builder will do that automatically. The reason that might matter is that if you ever need to run Fix Boot Problems, the fixes that the wizard attempts depend on how the Rescue Media itself was booted, so you want to boot it the same way you boot your normal OS. So if you can’t EFI boot your WinRE media, that would be another reason to switch to WinPE 10.

Lastly, if you ever think you might need to use your Rescue Media on a different PC, possibly after an unexpected failure of your existing PC, having native USB 3.0 and native NVMe support will be better, since USB 3.0 support in Win7 comes from drivers specific to certain controllers, which means that a Rescue Media build that allows USB 3.0 on your system might not work with the USB 3.0 ports on another system. Same for NVMe depending on how your system achieves its current support.
adrian5683
adrian5683
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
No go on WinRE, none of my USB devices were recognized and couldn't navigate, WinPE 10 works just fine. Guess that answers it, thanks.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search