Teansfer a windows HD to a 250gb ssd m2 on a new computer,

Author
Jorn (Jørn) Johanesson
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
one of my laptops running windows 10 pro suddenly lost its display screen and ability to boot or enter bios. So i am in a need to by another laptop to take with me.
I removed the HD which is a 1tb hd with my old windows 10 and I want to transfer it to my new coming computer that have a 250gb ssd m2 disk and a 1tb hybrid hd.
I can place my old windows hd in a usbhub and then connect it to the new laptop​. If i succeed in boot the old windows will it then be possible with the reflect on this to transfer it to the new computer-
any ideas
best regards Jorn Johanesson​​​
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)
You can't boot into Windows from a hard drive that's attached via USB.  However, you can clone from a USB attached HDD to an internal HDD.  After you run the clone, you'd want to run ReDeploy so Reflect modifies the cloned Windows installation to be bootable on dissimilar hardware.  And if you want to clone onto the smaller HDD, assuming it would actually fit onto it based on how much space was actually used from the 1TB HDD, you'll need to resize at least one of the partitions manually when "staging" the clone.  The process for doing that is here.

Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (723 reputation)Expert (723 reputation)Expert (723 reputation)Expert (723 reputation)Expert (723 reputation)Expert (723 reputation)Expert (723 reputation)Expert (723 reputation)Expert (723 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Before you clone which will overwrite the drive on your new computer make an image of it so you can go back to it if things don't go as planned
Jorn (Jørn) Johanesson
Jorn (Jørn) Johanesson
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Seekforever - 14 January 2019 6:58 PM
Before you clone which will overwrite the drive on your new computer make an image of it so you can go back to it if things don't go as planned

That i already have planed​. The reason why i want o clone is that the windows of the windows system on my new computer is a i7 with a windows home system while my hd i want to clone is a windows 10 prof system with a lot of payed up software i dont have the licenses present any longer such as the payed up macrium reflect.
but thank you for your advice.​
Jorn (Jørn) Johanesson
Jorn (Jørn) Johanesson
My new plan is as follows: I will temporary replace the hybrid 1tb harddrive in new computer with the one i have from old with an intakt win10 prof bootable 1tb hd. then I will boot to this. I will then use the reflect on this to clone to the 250gb ssd m2 chip. That i have tried before, but of course i will first make a backup of the new computer, to be safe,  
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6K reputation)
If you move a hard drive with an existing Windows installation from one PC into a new PC, it is unlikely to boot properly in the new PC.  Macrium ReDeploy is designed to facilitate that, however, so if you actually want to boot the original drive in the new PC first, you will very likely need to run ReDeploy first.  However, that of course entails modifying your original source drive BEFORE you even perform a clone.  I would recommend against that plan and instead reiterate my earlier to suggest to clone the original source as-is onto your new drive, then run ReDeploy on the NEW drive to make it bootable.

If the Windows installation you're cloning is Windows 10 Pro but the new system you're installing it into is only licensed for Windows 10 Home, then your cloned installation may fall out of activation when you try to use it on your new PC.  If your Pro license is portable, then you could transfer it to your new PC (at which point the old PC would likely fall out of activation if you tried to keep using it), but not all Windows licenses are portable to other hardware.  In that situation, you might have to buy another Pro license for the new PC

Jorn (Jørn) Johanesson
Jorn (Jørn) Johanesson
jphughan - 14 January 2019 8:08 PM
If you move a hard drive with an existing Windows installation from one PC into a new PC, it is unlikely to boot properly in the new PC.  Macrium ReDeploy is designed to facilitate that, however, so if you actually want to boot the original drive in the new PC first, you will very likely need to run ReDeploy first.  However, that of course entails modifying your original source drive BEFORE you even perform a clone.  I would recommend against that plan and instead reiterate my earlier to suggest to clone the original source as-is onto your new drive, then run ReDeploy on the NEW drive to make it bootable.

If the Windows installation you're cloning is Windows 10 Pro but the new system you're installing it into is only licensed for Windows 10 Home, then your cloned installation may fall out of activation when you try to use it on your new PC.  If your Pro license is portable, then you could transfer it to your new PC (at which point the old PC would likely fall out of activation if you tried to keep using it), but not all Windows licenses are portable to other hardware.  In that situation, you might have to buy another Pro license for the new PC

the windows license i have on the old is linked to the micosoft conto​, So i will use the facility to transfer this license to new computer!
Jorn (Jørn) Johanesson
Jorn (Jørn) Johanesson
My plan for cloning New That succeed.
I replace the hybrid hd in new computer with the hybrid hd from the old computer.
I then took one of my reflect rescue usb disk and booted to this.
Here i chose the backup I had  mad from some time ago from old computer.​
In the now loaded re​scue i choose backup and selected the backup i have made from old.
I now choose clone, and only pulled the windows partition from the backup to​ the c: partition on the new computer after I have cleared the data.
the partition on new computer is 237.42 gb and the partition on the 1gb hd much greater, but macrium​ got it to fit on new computer.
after the copying the partition that suceded​​​ i run fix boot just for safety and then rebootet the computer.
result ;.)
All I have to do now is adjust the icon size and then update windows and activate it. The size placement of icons is becouse the old pc was a 14 inc computer.​​
Jorn (Jørn) Johanesson
Jorn (Jørn) Johanesson
about the activation:
even I had my
activation of windows pro linked to my Microsoft konto, the activation after
the cloning failed. The reason is that there on my new laptop already vas an
activation on the mother board of windows home. ​so it could not be replaced
with the activation on Microsoft konto. So I had to by a new activation key,
which I did on lizensgo.com

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
That doesn't sound right.  Having an OEM activation on your motherboard (or a digital license associated with your motherboard) doesn't prevent you from using other licenses.  Otherwise, the separate license you purchased wouldn't have been usable either.  There's no reason the license in your Microsoft account shouldn't have worked even though that separate license did work.  It sounds like activation might have failed because you didn't transfer the license away from the source PC. On the other hand, buying a new license means you can keep using Windows 10 on that old PC, which wouldn't otherwise have been possible.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...