USB Rescue Media will not load in Win 10

Author
Atlantis
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am a new user (v7.2.3957).  A Dell XPS 8920 Desktop with WIN 10 Home Version 1803, Build 17134.523.   I made the rescue media per the Macrium instructions and tried to test it. I am using a flash drive; Samsung USB 3.1 Flash Drive BAR Plus. It doesn't look like the boot process is seeing the USB. What am I missing?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)
If you press F12 while your system is starting up, it should take you to a one-time boot selection menu.  Is there a boot from USB option there, or perhaps an option that names your specific flash drive?  Different systems report that differently.  If so and you select it, does your Rescue Media load properly?  If you don't see any sort of USB option listed in the one-time boot menu, try a different USB port, since I've seen reports that some systems only support booting from certain USB ports.  If that doesn't work either, have you ever tried booting from that flash drive before?  Some flash drives don't seem to be usable for booting, at least in combination with certain systems.

Atlantis
Atlantis
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
It worked! I did not know to press F12, but I did as you said & my flash drive was listed. I selected it & it booted. I had previously gone into the BIOS (F2) to try to change to boot order...but with the new system the USB was not listed. Many thanks for your help.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)
Great! If you have a newer system that uses UEFI booting, they don’t typically USB devices in the boot order. The reason is that boot options on storage devices like hard drives and flash drives actually have to be registered into the UEFI firmware to be listed in the BIOS boot order, and the boot entry itself isn’t something generic like “USB device” or even a particular flash drive. Instead, it has to be a specific file on a specific partition of a specific device, which obviously doesn’t make sense to deal with when you just want to boot once from a temporarily attached flash drive. By comparison, the F12 boot menu populates dynamically based on the devices it can see at that time, as long as it finds a bootloader file at \EFI\Boot\Bootx64.efi, which is a standard path defined in the UEFI spec.

However, even if you had an older system that used Legacy BIOS booting and therefore had a generic “USB device” option, the one-time menu is faster to use because you don’t have to rearrange the boot order to boot from USB once or twice and then go back and put it back afterward. Smile
Atlantis
Atlantis
Thanks for the information on BIOS/UEFI booting.....now I know.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...