Program Not Running at the End of a Scheduled Backup

Author
Steven Marty
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I recently rebuilt my two desktops that were running Windows 7 EE on Windows 10 EE.

Here is their configuration...
  • Both desktops are running Macrium Reflect Workstation v7.2.3957.0.
  • A Backup Definition File was used to generate a PowerShell script.
  • The script is configured to run a program at the end of the backup. The program (SyncBackPro) copies the backup file from one NAS to a second NAS.
  • The PowerShell script is scheduled to run a differential backup Monday - Saturday at 2:00 AM and a full backup on Sunday at 2:00 AM.
Here is the behavior I'm seeing...
  • When run manually (by right-clicking on the Scheduled Backup and selecting the "Run Now" option), everything works correctly. Backup succeeds and the program runs at the end of the backup.
  • When the scheduled jobs run, the "program at the end of the backup" does not run.
I have had a ticket open with support for about a week and decided to post on the forum as well to hopefully make some progress.

Here is what I have tried...
  • In the Reflect Defaults, I have modified the Schedule User to not use Windows SYSTEM and use my account (a local Administrator) instead.
  • In Task Scheduler, changed the "AT Service Account Configuration" option to not use the SYSTEM account and use the same account as above.
  • Deleted and regenerated the PowerShell script file from the BDF.
  • Deleted and recreated the scheduled backups.
Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same results. The backup job runs as scheduled and succeeds but the program does not run at the end.  I'm hoping to get some suggestions for what I may be missing here. The same configuration/setup was working for years with the same version of MRW running on Windows 7.

Thanks for any help!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)
What happens if you run the job by running the PowerShell script interactively from an elevated PowerShell Console window, ideally while logged in as the same user you're using for scheduled jobs?  It's very strange that selecting Run Now specifically from the Scheduled Backups tab works even though an actual scheduled occurrence behaves differently, since both of those cases involve the exact same scheduled task being called under the exact same context -- you're absolutely certain you're selecting that "instance" of the Run Now option rather than the one under the PowerShell Scripts tab?  You could try modifying the script to add a "Start-Transcript -Path "C:\MyJobLog.txt"" line just above the line that says "Main" toward the bottom of the PowerShell script to capture output from the script execution.  The output generated by a normal scheduled occurrence that fails might be useful for troubleshooting.  Does SyncBackPro have any logs of its own?  It would be useful to determine whether the application is successfully called by the script and then fails itself for some reason or whether the script is actually failing to call the application in the first place.

Edited 11 January 2019 8:05 PM by jphughan
Steven Marty
Steven Marty
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Thanks for your reply.

If I run the script interactively from a PowerShell Console window while logged in as the same user I am using for scheduled jobs, it works correctly.

I am positive that I am selecting "Run Now" from the "Scheduled Backups" tab.

The SyncBackPro logs show that it's not even trying to run.  I temporarily replaced SyncBackPro with another program (an old command-line SMTP sender called Blat) and found the same behavior.
I also noticed something else...after the job runs on a schedule and completes the backup successfully, the Macrium Reflect UI still shows a Status of "Running" and "In Progress" for the Last Result.  Upon checking Task Scheduler, the scheduled Macrium Reflect backup job shows a status of "Running" and the Last Run Result shows "The task is currently running. (0x41301)".

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)
Aha! So for some reason Reflect may not be closing correctly, which means the script isn’t failing to run SyncBackPro; it’s apparently never getting that far. My next suggestion was going to be replacing SyncBackPro with a simpler command, such as creating a text file somewhere, just to see if even that worked, but based on that reply I doubt it will. Is this behavior reproducible regardless of the time you run the backup? Have you tried setting the schedule to a time a few minutes in the future just to make the timed executions an even closer match to starting the task manually via the Scheduled Backups tab? My guess is this will be something to work with Macrium on. I remember seeing threads on this forum about this issue of Reflect not closing after a job completes, but I can’t remember the details. If you don’t hear from Macrium shortly here, I’d open a support ticket at helpdesk.macrium.com. Good luck!
Edited 13 January 2019 4:00 PM by jphughan
Steven Marty
Steven Marty
jphughan - 13 January 2019 4:00 PM
Aha! So for some reason Reflect may not be closing correctly, which means the script isn’t failing to run SyncBackPro; it’s apparently never getting that far. My next suggestion was going to be replacing SyncBackPro with a simpler command, such as creating a text file somewhere, just to see if even that worked, but based on that reply I doubt it will. Is this behavior reproducible regardless of the time you run the backup? Have you tried setting the schedule to a time a few minutes in the future just to make the timed executions an even closer match to starting the task manually via the Scheduled Backups tab? My guess is this will be something to work with Macrium on. I remember seeing threads on this forum about this issue of Reflect not closing after a job completes, but I can’t remember the details. If you don’t hear from Macrium shortly here, I’d open a support ticket at helpdesk.macrium.com. Good luck!

I can do one better...it's actually reproducible on another computer - two in fact.

I have three licenses of Workstation - two for my desktops and one for my laptop.  I don't really use the laptop license for much but the two desktops I rely heavily upon.  I went ahead and configured my laptop identically and the behavior is exactly the same.  I have even replaced SyncBackPro with a very basic command line utility and it's not running either.  So I am observing this behavior on two desktops and a laptop - all running Windows 10 - and all previously working correctly with the same configuration on Windows 7.

I do have a support ticket open but responses are a little slow (not sure if they respond over the weekends) and I thought I may get some other suggestions by posting here.

I checked the event log and the "Backup Started" and "Backup Completed" events are logging so I don't see anything else there to check.  I really appreciate your help.  Do you have any other ideas?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
I’m not sure about weekend support. I’ve seen Macrium respond to posts here on weekends, but formal support tickets may be different. My only other idea at this point would be to check Task Manager to see if ReflectBin.exe is still running even after the log entry for the job is created (if you have email notifications enabled for your job, you wouldn’t even have to open Reflect interactively to determine this.) If ReflectBin is still running at that point, does killing it cause SyncBackPro to start?
Steven Marty
Steven Marty
jphughan - 13 January 2019 4:17 PM
I’m not sure about weekend support. I’ve seen Macrium respond to posts here on weekends, but formal support tickets may be different. My only other idea at this point would be to check Task Manager to see if ReflectBin.exe is still running even after the log entry for the job is created (if you have email notifications enabled for your job, you wouldn’t even have to open Reflect interactively to determine this.) If ReflectBin is still running at that point, does killing it cause SyncBackPro to start?

Excellent find, my friend!

I scheduled the job to run a few minutes in the future and then rebooted the machine (laptop) to clear out everything.
  1. After rebooting, there were two Reflect-related processes running - ReflectMonitor.exe and ReflectUI.exe.
  2. When the job started as scheduled, two additional processes were created - ReflectBin.exe and a second ReflectUI.exe.
  3. After the job completed, a the ReflectBin.exe process closed but the second ReflectUI.exe remained.  The post-backup program did not run.
I checked Task Scheduled and the backup job showed "Running" for the status.  I killed the second ReflectUI.exe process and guess what?  The job status in Task Scheduler changed to "Ready" and the post-backup program ran immediately.

Any idea what would cause the ReflectUI.exe process associated with the scheduled backup not to close properly when running on a schedule but work correctly when the same job is "Run Now"?

Steven Marty
Steven Marty
This appears to be the exact same issue as posted in this thread.  Unfortunately, I'm not clear what the individual did to solve the issue.

Steven Marty
Steven Marty
I documented the steps necessary to replicate this issue and sent it to support last night.  I have been able to replicate the behavior (killing the non-closing ReflectUI.exe process allows the program at the end of the backup to run) on both of my desktops and my laptop.  Hopefully, they will get back to me with a solution soon.

Steven Marty
Steven Marty
Steven Marty - 14 January 2019 6:10 PM
I documented the steps necessary to replicate this issue and sent it to support last night.  I have been able to replicate the behavior (killing the non-closing ReflectUI.exe process allows the program at the end of the backup to run) on both of my desktops and my laptop.  Hopefully, they will get back to me with a solution soon.

Support didn't respond so I followed up after a week just to confirm they received my last response with the steps to replicate the behavior.  The person handling the ticket said that they were able to replicate the issue and the development team is investigating.

Yesterday, I added some additional information to my support ticket noting that the behavior is not just limited to the "run at the end of a backup" program not running.  When a scheduled backup runs with no program configured to run at the end of the backup, I am seeing the same behavior where a second ReflectUI.exe process stays running, the Macrium Reflect backup task still shows a “Running” status in Task Scheduler, and the Scheduled Backups tab in Macrium Reflect still shows a “Running” status.  The difference is that after killing the second ReflectUI.exe process, the backup does not run successfully - or at all. There is also no log file written.  The concerning part is that both Task Scheduler and the Scheduled Backups tab in Macrium Reflect indicate a status of "0x00 Successful" in the "Last Result" column.

A new person "Stephen" responded stating the development team is hard at work and cannot provide a time frame for when this issue will be resolved.

I'm running a pretty vanilla installation of Windows 10 on each of my licensed devices.  I have them configured to image nightly to a NAS - a fairly standard setup I would think yet all of them are behaving this way.  What has me a bit baffled is that as late as I am to the Windows 10 party, no one else has seen this behavior up to this point.  It's good that the development team has replicated the issue.  However, I wonder how many people are seeing the errant results in the "Last Result" column and think their backups are working.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search