Backup aborted with I/O Error

Author
noco
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi,

either since I upgraded from a FritzBox 7490 to 7590 or since I did a Macrium Update, i get I/O Errors when doing Disk Imaging or File&Folder Backups.

My Setup:
Windows 10
Macrium 7.2
FritzBox 7590 with attached 2,5" HDD as a NAS
Thinkpad T460s connected via 5GHz WLAN to FritzBox
Macrium Backup via SMB Share to FritzBox

Fulls have I/O Errors, Incrementals work mostly (I believe because they are smaller).

Also very strange is that the Backup speed (Disk Imaging or File&Folder Backups) at first is as it sould be (15 MB/s, limited by FritzBox) but then after a few minutes drops gradually to 2 MB/s and then eventually ends with I/O Error. I'm not sure if this is a new behaviour or connected with the Errors.

To check the WLAN I connected the Notebook via LAN, but the speed drops as well. But I was able to perform a Full Disk Image of the Notebooks SSD without I/O Error. At the moment I'm testing the File&Folder Backup via LAN. What I can say by now is that the speed drops as well. If there will be I/O Error I will see in a couple of hours Wink

Another test was to copy a Large file to the FritzBox Network drive via WLAN. This works flawlessly, no Error and no speed drop.

I don't know what else to do or where the problem may be located.

Grateful for any help!

Edited 12 January 2019 12:17 PM by noco
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
There appears to be a typo in your post that makes it a bit unclear: "the File&Folder Backup is for another [......] to the Notebook via Docking Station connected HDD".  Are you saying that the destination for your image backups is your FritzBox and the destination for your F&F backups is an external hard drive plugged into a docking station?  And is the notebook where the backup is running plugged into that docking station, or are you performing an F&F backup of Notebook #1 to an external hard drive connected to docked Notebook #2 and shared out on the network?  Just trying to find out what these jobs have in common and what's different about them.

Also, when you tested LAN connectivity, did you make sure to disable the WLAN radio?

noco
noco
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
There appears to be a typo in your post that makes it a bit unclear: "the File&Folder Backup is for another [......] to the Notebook via Docking Station connected HDD". Are you saying that the destination for your image backups is your FritzBox and the destination for your F&F backups is an external hard drive plugged into a docking station? And is the notebook where the backup is running plugged into that docking station, or are you performing an F&F backup of Notebook #1 to an external hard drive connected to docked Notebook #2 and shared out on the network?

Sorry for the typo. The destination for ALL backups is my FritzBox. The source for Disk Image is the notebooks SSD, the source for F&F Backups is an external HDD connected to the docking station of the notebook. That's why I was able to move the Notebook near the FritzBox to test Disk Image via LAN but not F&F via lan.

The typo is now corrected or rather I found a long LAN Cable to connect the notebooks docking station and the FritzBox. So at the moment I'm testing the File&Folder Backup via LAN. What I can say by now is that the speed drops as well. If there will be I/O Error I will see in a couple of hours. By now I don't think there is any difference between Disk Image and F&F, in both cases the speed drops and I/O Error via WLAN.

Also, when you tested LAN connectivity, did you make sure to disable the WLAN radio?

Yes.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)
It’s not possible to connect the external HDD directly to the notebook away from the docking station?
noco
noco
I just found out, that when the speed is dropped, the speed for transferring a file to the FritzBox via SMB/Explorer is also slow. Either Macrium is slowing down the FritzBox somehow and causing the I/O Errors, or the new FritzBox is faulty.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Is one of the new features of your new FritzBox USB 3.0 rather than 2.0? If so, are you using 2.4 GHz WiFi rather than 5 GHz? USB 3.0 and 2.4 GHz WiFi are known to interfere with each other, so using a USB 3.0 HDD on a router that offers 2.4 GHz WiFi will usually create performance issues with one or the other. Some routers try to mitigate this somewhat by putting the USB 3.0 port on the side or front of the router rather than at the back where the WiFi antennas are, and others allow you to choose to optimize either for USB 3.0 performance or 2.4 GHz WiFi performance. As a test if your router allows this, try disabling 2.4 GHz entirely so that only 5 GHz is available and see what happens.
noco
noco
jphughan - 12 January 2019 3:46 PM
It’s not possible to connect the external HDD directly to the notebook away from the docking station?

It is, but for what reason? As i said above, there is no difference between F&F and Disk Image. And when Disk Image for the internal SSD has the same Errors and speed drops, I don't think that the external HDD or its connection is the problem. Besides with the long LAN cable I was able to connect the docking to the FritzBox directly without WLAN.

I think my problem is Macrium in general or FritzBox related and not specific for F&F or Disk Image.

noco
noco
jphughan - 12 January 2019 3:50 PM
Is one of the new features of your new FritzBox USB 3.0 rather than 2.0? If so, are you using 2.4 GHz WiFi rather than 5 GHz? USB 3.0 and 2.4 GHz WiFi are known to interfere with each other, so using a USB 3.0 HDD on a router that offers 2.4 GHz WiFi will usually create performance issues with one or the other. Some routers try to mitigate this somewhat by putting the USB 3.0 port on the side or front of the router rather than at the back where the WiFi antennas are, and others allow you to choose to optimize either for USB 3.0 performance or 2.4 GHz WiFi performance. As a test if your router allows this, try disabling 2.4 GHz entirely so that only 5 GHz is available and see what happens.

USB 3.0 was also a feature of the old FritzBox, but because the external Hard Disk doesn't support USB 3.0, it is disabled in the FritzBox settings. In addition I'm using WLAN 5 GHz, so there should be no problem with this I think.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Do you have a way to attach the destination hard drive to the network some other way, such as through another PC where you would enable Windows File Sharing for that drive?  That would allow you to test a network backup from Reflect without the FritzBox involved.

Edited 12 January 2019 5:22 PM by jphughan
noco
noco
That is a great idea, simple but I would not have come on it by myself Wink Thanks a lot!!!

No I/O Error and no speed drop so far. Seems that the FritzBox is defective...

Edited 13 January 2019 8:37 PM by noco
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search