PC "identity" after REDEPLOY

Author
alohagirl
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
So I've successfully redployed to a new computer and then changed the product key. Everything is fine, except that when looking in the Device "About" screen, it still reflects HP Envy (old computer) as the computer instead of Dell XPS (new computer). Is there a way for it to recognize the correct new computer in this instance?
alohagirl
alohagirl
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
alohagirl - 9 January 2019 7:56 AM
So I've successfully redployed to a new computer and then changed the product key. Everything is fine, except that when looking in the Device "About" screen, it still reflects HP Envy (old computer) as the computer instead of Dell XPS (new computer). Is there a way for it to recognize the correct new computer in this instance?

I'm referring to the Windows 10 Device "about" screen in Settings. Not clear in the original post.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)
Do you mean Settings > System > About?  If so, I just checked there and don't have any brand specific-information on my Dell PC, although I performed a clean install of Windows.  I do know that with previous versions of Windows, OEMs like Dell, HP, etc. could "brand" their Windows installations to include information such as the company name, logo, and I think support contact info.  It's embedded into Windows, not dynamically generated based on the actual system hardware.  If you want to remove that, you might find this page useful.  As always, be careful when directly editing the Windows registry.

Flyer
Flyer
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Are you referring to the computer name or is there some other identifying line added in the "about" section? If it's just the name of the PC, you can change it right there. Rename this computer is right below the computer information.
Edited 9 January 2019 6:59 PM by Flyer
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...