Exclude subfolder relative to the folder to be backed up

Author
peter09aug2016
Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Allow me to follow up with a similar question as https://forum.macrium.com/Topic25315.aspx: how to exclude subfolders at the root of the folder to be backed up.

I want to back up F:\myfolder including subfolders, and exclude all folders myfolder\special* , but not exclude other folders special* that could be there and I do not want to have advance knowledge of.

I am looking for a relative path specification for myfolder\special* .

I don't want to to exclude the full path F:\myfolder\special* because the actual pathes are longer and changing. Right now I do exclude special* . Both full path, and special* are not completely maintenance-resistant. Even excluding *\myfolder\special* is not resistant, as it too is not restricted to the root of the folder to be backed up.

Thanks.
(edited for precision)
Edited 8 January 2019 1:25 AM by peter09aug2016
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)
The note under the folder exclusion field says you can enter a full or partial path, and wildcards are supported, so you should be able to achieve what you want by adding F:\myfolder\special* as an exclusion item.  That I believe would exclude any folders that begin with "special" and reside directly under the "myfolder" folder, but NOT exclude folders that begin with "special" and reside anywhere else.  You may want to test this beforehand just to be sure, though.  Create a dummy folder hierarchy that resembles your actual backup source's directory structure and naming convention, and place a few dummy files into various folders, then configure this type of exclusion and make sure that you get exactly what you want in the resulting backup

peter09aug2016
peter09aug2016
Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)
Thank you.

I'd like to avoid specifying the full path in the exclude option. The prefix F:\myfolder is known from folder to be backed up (and folders not in F:\myfolder cannot be excluded anyway, it would be a logical mistake).  I'm looking for a syntax that avoids the full path. I tried .\special*, but that didn't exclude.

Maybe I should post a feature proposal.
edit for precision, again

Edited 8 January 2019 11:26 AM by peter09aug2016
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)
Even after rereading your newly edited first post, I don't see why using the full path is a problem.  If you want to exclude only folders that match "special*" that exist under F:\MyFolder, but NOT folders that match "special*" anywhere else, then using the full path is the right way to achieve that.  To make sure I understand your request correctly, I've provided some hypothetical folder names and the result I assume you want to achieve:

F:\MyFolder\Stuff -- back this up
F:\MyFolder\Special123 - don't back up
F:\MyFolder\MoreStuff\Special456 -- back this up (along with the parent MoreStuff folder)

If so, then the full path seems to be the only way to achieve this without excluding other folders that you did not want to exclude.  And again, I don't see why that poses a problem.  It's not as if the F:\MyFolder portion of the path will be changing, so there won't be an actual use case where the fixed path exclusion will break when a relative path would have kept working -- especially because if you DID change the F:\MyFolder portion, you'd break your entire backup job anyway

peter09aug2016
peter09aug2016
Yes, in my case the F:\myfolder part of the F&F backup could change

The F:\myfolder part can be edited with the  browser (...) button,  but the exclude-part is text only.

These are the reasons why a reference to the F:\myfolder part, in the style of .\, would have been nice. I'll do a proposal.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, in that case Macrium has a Wish List section of the forum for exactly this purpose. Smile

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...