In restore mode, cannot browse to backup file

Author
kanter
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
booting from the Rescue Disk, Macrium opens fine, but trying to locate the Backup files in the Windows explorer popup, clicking on the drives containing these files does nothing, I am stuck on the "My PC" Level listing all drives. Only the USB drive containing the rescue media opens to reveal its contents. Latest Win10 64 on a Surface Book 2, Macrium 7.2 (3957), the same happened with the latest 6 version. Any ideas what I could try? thanks.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)
Go to the Restore tab, click the "Folders to search" link, and then add the folder containing your backups to that list.  Any backups discovered in that folder will then be listed below in the main area of the Restore tab.  If you still can't browse the contents of that drive, switch over to the Backup tab, which will show the partition maps of all drives that Reflect can see.  What is the status of the partition(s) you're trying to access.  For example, if the partition is encrypted, you'll need to unlock it before you can browse it.

Edited 6 January 2019 9:13 PM by jphughan
kanter
kanter
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
jphughan - 6 January 2019 9:11 PM
Go to the Restore tab, click the "Folders to search" link, and then add the folder containing your backups to that list.  Any backups discovered in that folder will then be listed below in the main area of the Restore tab.  If you still can't browse the contents of that drive, switch over to the Backup tab, which will show the partition maps of all drives that Reflect can see.  What is the status of the partition(s) you're trying to access.  For example, if the partition is encrypted, you'll need to unlock it before you can browse it.

thanks much for your answer.
I can locate the folder alright when opening Macrium in the regular Windows boot.
But when I boot from rescue disk, to recover an image, and following the same routine, I cannot browse past the uppermost directory of partitions. None is encrypted. So it is a problem proprietary to the PE environment (I have made the rescue disk following Macriums suggestions as to the version etc), PE 5.0

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)
Can you post a screenshot (or photo) of the Backup tab in the Rescue environment just to see what things look like with respect to disks and partitions in that environment?  Please indicate which partition contains your backups.

Edited 6 January 2019 10:00 PM by jphughan
kanter
kanter
jphughan - 6 January 2019 10:00 PM
Can you post a screenshot (or photo) of the Backup tab in the Rescue environment just to see what things look like with respect to disks and partitions in that environment?  Please indicate which partition contains your backups.

screenshots added, the image file is on the D partition. Thanks.
Attachments
b.jpg (7 views, 83.00 KB)
a.jpg (6 views, 82.00 KB)
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
The fact that the Explorer screenshot doesn't show how much storage is consumed on the partition indicates that it can't read the partition, and the screenshot of the Backup tab identifying it as a "BitLocker Locked Primary" partition explains why.  Your C and D drives are both encrypted, and they are currently locked.  If you don't have to enter any decryption passwords normally, your C drive would be getting unlocked by the TPM when Windows boots, and your D drive probably has auto-unlock enabled, which causes your Windows installation to store an unlock key for it.

In terms of a fix, since it sounds like you weren't even aware these partitions were encrypted, your first order of business should be to back up your Recovery Keys to somewhere other than your PC, preferably somewhere that can be accessed through a device like a smartphone, in case you ever need to recover data elsewhere or your motherboard TPM has an issue, etc.  There are also some things that can cause your TPM to refuse to release its key, such as a BIOS update, in which case if you don't have your Recovery Key, you're stuck.  To back those up, go to Control Panel > BitLocker Drive Encryption and click "Back up my Recovery Key" for each of those drives.

In terms of getting them readable in Reflect, the easiest way to do that is to go into the Rescue Media preferences and enable the option to store auto-unlock keys on your Rescue Media, in which case both of those partitions will unlock.  If you're not comfortable storing unlock keys on your Rescue Media, you'd have to unlock them manually using the manage-bde tool in Command Prompt.

Lastly, note that even though it isn't technically required, when your image restore target is encrypted, as is the case here, it's a good idea to unlock it first.  If you don't, then Reflect will have to restore the entire partition rather than being able to use Rapid Delta Restore, a feature that can cut restore times quite significantly.  Additionally, your partition would be restored in unencrypted form, so you'd have to manually re-enable BitLocker afterward, which would mean backing up a new Recovery Key.  If you unlock the target first, you can use RDR (unless some other situation prevents it), and your existing encryption will be preserved.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
One additional suggestion: If you didn't realize your D drive was encrypted, I'm guessing you don't know its normal decryption password, in which case you should change that too.  You don't need to know the original password to do that; you just need it to be unlocked, which the auto-unlock function would achieve for you.  Technically you could just get by storing the Recovery Key, but obviously it's a good idea to know the normal password, and that's usually a lot easier to remember and type than a 48-digit Recovery Key if you ever need to access that partition from another system.

kanter
kanter
first off, many thanks for taking the time to brief me, you are most generous.
My problems here are a recent occurence, I am always looking for reliable but simple (that's why I dumped acronis for macrium), but as I say, this is the first bump I am encountering even with Macrium restores, to do with a recent Win update maybe? No encryption steps were ever actuated out of my own volition, but hey.
I shall process and pursue your directions as best I can, and again, I much appreciate your help. Macrium so far has been the best overall backup solution, and I have messed with a few.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
The only way I know of that BitLocker could have been automatically enabled is that on certain Win10 Home systems, if the PC meets certain hardware requirements and the user links their Windows logon account to their Microsoft online account, encryption gets enabled for the C drive and your Recovery Key gets backed up to the cloud.  But even if that's what happened in your case, that wouldn't explain your D drive.  Enabling encryption automatically is obviously very dangerous since the user wouldn't have the necessary information to decrypt it later (or might not know where it was stored).  You can certainly decrypt those drives if you'd prefer, but if you like the idea of your data being encrypted, then backing up your Recovery Key and rebuilding your Rescue Media with that extra option to embed auto-unlock keys should get you where you want to be.  Enjoy! Smile

kanter
kanter
all solved, thanks again
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...