Disk IO Operation failed but no error from Macrium

Author
Larry
New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Running Win 10 1803 with all updates installed.  Running Macrium Reflect Home v7.2.3957.

Over the last 6 months or so six errors have been logged in the Win Event Viewer for the external backup hard disk (USB connected).  They have come in pairs (i.e., within a few minutes of each other) and when a MR backup was being done.  The reported error is of the form:

The IO operation at logical block address 0x279c675f for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\00000075) failed due to a hardware error.

Always with different LBAs. Many other backups over the same 6 months have no disk errors reported for them

MR has not mentioned any errors in its logs and all backups have completed and verified correctly. CHKDSK reports no errors for the disk.

Shouldn't I expect to see MR report some error too?

-- Larry

PS: I guess I should be looking to replace that backup disk.  It is getting up there in years!

Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (746 reputation)Expert (746 reputation)Expert (746 reputation)Expert (746 reputation)Expert (746 reputation)Expert (746 reputation)Expert (746 reputation)Expert (746 reputation)Expert (746 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I think the disk is indeed failing.
My thought (sounds better than outright guess) is that the device has a problem but the error being reported back is not the usual one associated with bad cluster(s) such as a CRC error and therefore isn't being recorded by Reflect.​
CHKDSK may be doing things differently and may allow an operation to complete whereas it times out of otherwise fails in normal use. You could download and run the manufacturer's diagnostic which often are much more thorough in checking disk operation or just cut to the chase and replace it.​
Edited 6 January 2019 12:57 AM by Seekforever
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)
I wonder if nothing seems amiss outside of Event Viewer because these are all correctable errors for the time being, so Windows is noting them but they’re not causing problems for applications. Running the diagnostic tool is certainly a reasonable idea. If possible I’d recommend making a backup to a different destination first, just in case the additional IO of a comprehensive test pushes that drive to failure.
Larry
Larry
New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)
I replaced the drive.  Much faster backups now! And no errors!!
-- Larry
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...