Failed To Create Volume Snapshot

Author
Douglas Bolt
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Just installed MR and am having issues with VSS.  Running Win10P 1809 build 17763.195.  I have yet to complete a backup.  Need advice!

Below is the clip of the error messages from MR:

=================

Starting Image - Saturday, January 05, 2019 13:17:09
Initializing
Write Method: Using Direct Disk I/O
Destination Drive: 10T- G (GSmile - Free Space 2.14 TB
Image Guardian: Protected
Free space threshold: Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 5.00 GB

Creating Volume Snapshot - Please Wait

Failed: Failed - 0x8000ffff - Catastrophic failure - Retrying without VSS Writers

Failed to rename VSS log file, reason: Encountered a sharing violation while accessing C:\Users\DOUGLA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\vss.log.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backup aborted! - Failed To Create Volume Snapshot. VSS Timeout

=====================

The program rebuilt the the build info when it started trouble shooting.  I recently uninstalled Acronis, so there may be some permissions that did not get reset. Uninstall included Revo Uninstall (with safe scan), Acronis CleanUp instructions, and Regedit to remove remaining mentions of Acronis.

Below is a clip from the VSS.Log file that may be helpful:

===============================
RROR: Selected writer 'MSMQ Writer (MSMQ)' is in failed state!
 - Writer Failure code: 0x800423f2 (<Unknown error code>Wink
 - Writer ID: {7e47b561-971a-46e6-96b9-696eeaa53b2a}
 - Instance ID: {233f3d82-8e68-46a7-9328-c0494ec75492}

Completing the backup (BackupComplete) ...

ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->BackupComplete(&pAsync)" failed.
- Returned HRESULT = 0x80042301
- Error text: VSS_E_BAD_STATE
- Setting the VSS context to: 0x00000010
Creating shadow set {33462b69-5238-4882-bacd-f7dcc676a22f} ...
- Adding volume \\?\Volume{3ccab56b-04e7-4183-989e-7380e493cf59}\ [C:\] to the shadow set...
Creating the shadow (DoSnapshotSet) ...
(Waiting for the asynchronous operation to finish...)

Douglas Bolt
Douglas Bolt
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Added information to the above post:

The permissions on VSS.LOG show SYSTEM, my account and administrators all with Full Control.

Chris
Chris
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (94 reputation)Macrium Representative (94 reputation)Macrium Representative (94 reputation)Macrium Representative (94 reputation)Macrium Representative (94 reputation)Macrium Representative (94 reputation)Macrium Representative (94 reputation)Macrium Representative (94 reputation)Macrium Representative (94 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Douglas Bolt - 5 January 2019 7:25 PM
Just installed MR and am having issues with VSS.  Running Win10P 1809 build 17763.195.  I have yet to complete a backup.  Need advice!

Below is the clip of the error messages from MR:

=================

Starting Image - Saturday, January 05, 2019 13:17:09
Initializing
Write Method: Using Direct Disk I/O
Destination Drive: 10T- G (GSmile - Free Space 2.14 TB
Image Guardian: Protected
Free space threshold: Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 5.00 GB

Creating Volume Snapshot - Please Wait

Failed: Failed - 0x8000ffff - Catastrophic failure - Retrying without VSS Writers

Failed to rename VSS log file, reason: Encountered a sharing violation while accessing C:\Users\DOUGLA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\vss.log.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backup aborted! - Failed To Create Volume Snapshot. VSS Timeout

=====================

The program rebuilt the the build info when it started trouble shooting.  I recently uninstalled Acronis, so there may be some permissions that did not get reset. Uninstall included Revo Uninstall (with safe scan), Acronis CleanUp instructions, and Regedit to remove remaining mentions of Acronis.

Below is a clip from the VSS.Log file that may be helpful:

RROR: Selected writer 'MSMQ Writer (MSMQ)' is in failed state!
 - Writer Failure code: 0x800423f2 (<Unknown error code>Wink
 - Writer ID: {7e47b561-971a-46e6-96b9-696eeaa53b2a}
 - Instance ID: {233f3d82-8e68-46a7-9328-c0494ec75492}

Completing the backup (BackupComplete) ...

ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->BackupComplete(&pAsync)" failed.
- Returned HRESULT = 0x80042301
- Error text: VSS_E_BAD_STATE
- Setting the VSS context to: 0x00000010
Creating shadow set {33462b69-5238-4882-bacd-f7dcc676a22f} ...
- Adding volume \\?\Volume{3ccab56b-04e7-4183-989e-7380e493cf59}\ [C:\] to the shadow set...
Creating the shadow (DoSnapshotSet) ...
(Waiting for the asynchronous operation to finish...)

HI @dbolt@boltassociates.com

The VSS error 0x800423f2​ is a timeout expiry waiting for the specified VSS writer to move from the freeze to thaw state. In this instance the MSMQ (Microsoft Message Queueing) writer.
Please try restarting the MSMQ service​ and ensure it is in a running state before the backup.

Additionally, permission issues on MSMQ folders can present this failure. The folder System32\MSMQ might have subfolders in it and those need to be checked for valid permission settings. Please ensure that both SYSTEM and the user account running the backup has full control over all these folders. If access is restricted or limited you may run into the this MSMQ Writer failure​.

Kind regards.​​

--
Chris Bamford
Macrium Reflect Development & Support
KnowledgeBase: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/
YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Macrium

Douglas Bolt
Douglas Bolt
MSMQ was not listed under services.  I examined Windows features and checked all the boxes.  MSMQ now has SYSTEM as the owner and MSMQ and administrators with full control.  Ready to reboot after I post this reply.  .... hopefully!

Douglas Bolt
Douglas Bolt
Rebooted and windows is hanging at the "Getting windows. Ready. Don't turn off computer" screen. It has been over 20 min with a brief,intermittent red activity light on the PC. The mouse works. Guess I'll give another 20 min.
Suggestions?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Windows Update probably downloaded Windows 10 1809 in the background and had staged it for installation.  That pending OS upgrade could be what prevented Reflect from taking a new VSS snapshot.  Now that you've rebooted, it's finishing the installation.

Douglas Bolt
Douglas Bolt
jphughan - 7 January 2019 7:25 PM
Windows Update probably downloaded Windows 10 1809 in the background and had staged it for installation.  That pending OS upgrade could be what prevented Reflect from taking a new VSS snapshot.  Now that you've rebooted, it's finishing the installation.
Chris,

Thanks for your support.

The system might have been downloading, but I  pushed the cold boot button after about an hour.  It booted into a blue screen and another cold boot button.  It is now running 1809 build 17763.195, which was what it had been running for several weeks.
WhoCrashed says no valid crash dumps were found.

I called MR and it spent several minutes before producing the following error message:
Failed: VSS Timeout - Retrying without VSS Writers

Backup aborted! - Failed To Create Volume Snapshot. Failed - 0x80042316 - IDispatch error #8470
While I was waiting for MR to finish, I checked the Event Viewer and Task Scheduler. lots of red marks with EV. Too many to study for a solution. However, the errors displayed by TS may be helpful (to someone, but not me). There were 45 messages saying the task was unsupported or invalid. I copied down 20 and then gave up and just counted the next 25.

Windows Features does not show any checks for MSMQ .  I checked all the boxes and the system spent 15 min searching for files.  I ended that process and now trying to check just one box at a time starting with MSMQ DCOM Proxy.  still searching. unchecked that box and trying Multitasking support.  Still searching for files.  Ended task. tried MSMQ triggers.  No luck.

I tried to use Powershell to enable MSMQ, but my syntax was not correct.  Below is a clip from the CMD screen:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName MSMQ-HTTP -AllEnable-Wind
owsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName MSMQ-Server -All
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature : Cannot bind parameter because parameter 'Online' is specified more
than once. To provide multiple values to parameters that can accept multiple values, use the array
syntax. For example, "-parameter value1,value2,value3".
At line:1 char:96
+ ... atureName MSMQ-HTTP -AllEnable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -Featur ...
+                    ~~~~~~~
  + CategoryInfo    : InvalidArgument: (Smile [Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature], ParameterBindi
 ngException
  + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterAlreadyBound,Microsoft.Dism.Commands.EnableWindowsOptionalF
 eatureCommand

======================
What should I try now.​​​
​​​​

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)
Well the reason the PowerShell command failed is because you can’t add multiple features by duplicating all of the parameters. Try this:

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName MSMQ-HTTP,MSMQ-Server -All

If that doesn’t work, provide two separate commands, one for each of those features.

As to the underlying issue, if you’re already working with Macrium, I don’t expect to be able to add any more value on that front. It probably isn’t ideal to kill updates and install a bunch of features, but I also realize you’re stuck. One thing you can do just to get some sort of backup is boot from your Reflect Rescue Media and perform a backup there, since that environment doesn’t use VSS. Obviously not the most convenient, and at this point you’d apparently be backing up a known problematic system, but it’s certainly better than nothing if you don’t have any recent backups.
Douglas Bolt
Douglas Bolt
jphughan - 8 January 2019 1:53 AM
Well the reason the PowerShell command failed is because you can’t add multiple features by duplicating all of the parameters. Try this:Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName MSMQ-HTTP,MSMQ-Server -AllIf that doesn’t work, provide two separate commands, one for each of those features.As to the underlying issue, if you’re already working with Macrium, I don’t expect to be able to add any more value on that front. It probably isn’t ideal to kill updates and install a bunch of features, but I also realize you’re stuck. One thing you can do just to get some sort of backup is boot from your Reflect Rescue Media and perform a backup there, since that environment doesn’t use VSS. Obviously not the most convenient, and at this point you’d apparently be backing up a known problematic system, but it’s certainly better than nothing if you don’t have any recent backups.

Thanks for your help.  Here is a clip from the CMD screen:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.195]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Douglas Bolt>powershell
Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Users\Douglas Bolt> Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName MSMQ-HTTP,MSMQ-Server -
All
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature : The requested operation requires elevation.
At line:1 char:1
+ Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName MSMQ-HTTP,MSMQ-Ser ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  + CategoryInfo    : NotSpecified: (Smile [Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature], COMException
  + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.EnableWindowsOptionalFeatureCommand

PS C:\Users\Douglas Bolt>

===================
I'm getting in way over my level of knowledge.  I don't know which way to turn.  I suppose I could go back to Acronis, but that seemed to be causing issues for me, which is the reason I'm trying to install Macrium Reflect.  I'm also thinking it may be time to refresh the operating system (win10Pro) and get the PC configured with default settings.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
You have to run PowerShell Console with elevated privileges.  To do that, right-click the icon and choose "Run as administrator".  If you'd be open to rebuilding your PC from scratch, that's probably what I personally would be doing at this stage, since being unable to perform VSS snapshots is apt to cause several other issues beyond preventing Reflect backups, but not everyone is able or willing to start from a clean installation of Windows and reinstall drivers, applications, etc.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...