How to increase the size of system partition using a non adjacent space?

Author
ZeroZero
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Finding this harder than I thought. 
After a system rescue, using Reflect, I have one disk which has four partitions

A: Healthy EFI system partition
B: System drive (C)
C: Healthy OEM partition - NTFS
D Unallocated

I want to merge C with D , but (apparently) because these are non adjacent, It's not that simple. Tom's hardware says Reflect can do this?

Anyone?

Z Format
Edited 5 January 2019 4:02 PM by ZeroZero
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)
@ZeroZero, it's tricky but it can be done (assuming you have the (3) partitions you mentioned above in your image).

During the RESTORE operation (not afterwards), after you've selected the image you want to restore and said "Restore Image," you'll see your DESTINATION (or Target) disk with your previously imaged partitions on it.  Take NOTE of the size of the previously unallocated area you now want your OS partition to use.  You must select each partition separately on the DESTINATION volume and use the "Delete existing partition" until the entire DESTINATION volume is unallocated (this doesn't happen until you actually finalize the RESTORE operation... not to worry).

Step #1: drag your "Healthy EFI system partition" to the unallocated disk.
Step #2: drag your "System drive (C)" partition to the unallocated disk.
Step #3: Select the OS partition just moved to the unallocated disk and <click> on the "Restored partition properties" LINK.
Step #4:  In the "Restored partition properties" window, add the size of your original unallocated space (NOTEd above) to the FreeSpace DropDown, then hit "OK." This expands your OS partiton by the FreeSPace you want to use with it.
Step #5: drag your "Healthy OEM partition - NTFS" partition to the remaining unallocated space.

At this point you have moved your previous disk's "used" partitions onto the new unallocated disk.  During this process you increased the size of your OS partition to utilize the previous unallocated space and have moved your OEM partition out to the end of the volume.

If this is what you want to do, you may now say "OK" to the "Drag partition" window.

Edited 5 January 2019 5:51 PM by Froggie
ZeroZero
ZeroZero
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
At present, I am not in the business of restoring a partition, as I have already done this (and frankly fear it unless I really must after my last experience) . Is there a way without restoring please? 
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)
I guess I don't know where your fear of restoration is rooted... I do this all the time without issue.

Anyway, to answer your question... not using Macrium Reflect that I know of.  Many of the FREE Partitioning tools can do what you ask... but you can only change the OS partition attributes (like you want to do) from outside of the LIVE OS using a Recovery Media of some sort usually based on WinPE or Linux.

I've used Minitool's Partition Wizard but the current FREE version, v10.3, no longer allows you to create a BOOTable Recovery Media, only the paid version. v9.x of the FREE tool used to allow you to create that Recovery Media.

AOMEI's "Partition Assistant" FREE version does allow you to create Recovery Media for partition changes.

If you'd like a LINK to Minitool's v9.1 Recovery Media ISO... lemme know and I'll post it.

The partition Recovery Media's procedure to use would be #1, MOVING your OEM partition to the end of your current disk (into the unallocated space) then expanding your existing OS partition to take up the space just freed up by the OEM partition move.

Edited 5 January 2019 7:44 PM by Froggie
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Rethinking this a bit... using one of the partition tools above (Minitool or AOMEI), you should be able to MOVE the OEM partition to the end of your current disk while running the partition tool under LIVE Windows (you're not moving the OS partition).  Once that's complete, you should be able to use the Windows "Disk Management" feature, select your OS partition and use the "Extend volume" feature to expand it to take up the space freed up by your OEM partition move.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)
You could capture an image of the OEM partition, delete it, extend your C drive by the desired amount MINUS the amount necessary to bring back the OEM partition, then restore the OEM partition into that space. I personally consider that safer than live repartitioning tools, and it would almost certainly be faster. And if you already back that up, you can just restore that partition from your existing backup rather than backing it up again.

Or as Froggie said, back up your system, then immediately run a restore that includes a partition layout adjustment.

Or you could just dump the OEM partition entirely.
Edited 5 January 2019 8:38 PM by jphughan
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
I've used GParted Live (a free partition editor) to do what you're trying to do but, as noted, Reflect will not do this without performing some kind of a restore operation.

OPs can help other forum searchers by highlighting (✔) an answer that resolves the issue.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...